Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Desktop Aviator 2090 Rotary Encoder Board

You guys have almost convinced me to purchase the new Hagstrom 108 USB to finish up my interfacing and now I need 6 more Rotary Encoders.

Im thinking of the DA 2090 'Super Rotary Encoder Board' that's $50 and has the pushbutton encoders for less than $3.00.

It's at http://www.desktopaviator.com/Produc...2090/index.htm

What are the thoughts on this product? It seems like a fantastic deal and Im curious what people think of their products and ease of use and programming in FS?

Thanks!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Eric,

Saw this post you had. I tried this board and could not get it to work with my setup for whatever reason. While the rotaries would work, they were inconsistant and erratic and if you turned the knobs too fast they didnt turn correctly in the simulator. I have rotaries on a Hagestrom Board that work fine and on my GoFlight panels that work fine but with this board I couldnt get them to work. One thing could be that they dont work on faster computers running FSX. The reason I say this is because Steve at DA only has a computer running FS2004 on a older computerand could therefore not duplicate my environment. So maybe a bus speed issue or something to do with FSX. He could not duplicate my issues unfortunately. He refunded my money which was nice but too bad as I was really hoping for this solution because his price is right. Again, it may have to do with something purely in my setup and not fault with his product but alas...we could never determine.

Anyway. Thought I would let you know. Now I am looking for another solution for rotaries and for analog inputs for my future TQ. Heck, I may as well find a board that does outputs while Im at it.

Scott

Thanks Scott for the response. You know, Ive found that the GF rotary encoders work quicker and more accurately in FSX than in FS9 on my setup. Maybe since Im mostly sticking with FS9 it wouldnt be an issue for me. The RP48 is a great solution from GoFlight, just get the remote mount kit.

Also Flight Deck Technology cards come with Rotary Encoder inputs, but the shipping is INHO a bit high.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    Thanks Scott for the response. You know, Ive found that the GF rotary encoders work quicker and more accurately in FSX than in FS9 on my setup. Maybe since Im mostly sticking with FS9 it wouldnt be an issue for me. The RP48 is a great solution from GoFlight, just get the remote mount kit.

Also Flight Deck Technology cards come with Rotary Encoder inputs, but the shipping is INHO a bit high.
    Yeah, I have an RP48 (not the remote mount) and it works great. GF has great gear.

I have been looking at FDT, Open Cockpits, or expanding my Hagestrom 108. The Hagestrom is awesome and the rotaries I have attached to its two rotary inputs work awesome. They have a rotary 5 card so I may go with that. It works through the 108 and uses up 2 switch inputs on the 108 per rotary.

Only thing is that I need more analog inputs now (2090 had those but without it I dont have any for my TQ pots), so I need to get a board with more analog and on top of that I need outputs as right now I have nothing for outputs. I am thinking I get the Hagestrom addon boards then maybe an output board from OC but not sure.

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Hi Eric, I have experience and own both modules. DA and GF and without doubt the goflight module rotaries are much much better, they can be turned fast and keep up, and function EXACTLY as on screen.

The DA rotary is much slower it can only cope with slow rotary movements so more suited to the autobrake panel for example. whereas the GF rotaries are better for the autopilt heading for example.

Hope that helps, i know GFmay be slightly more expensive even though both are economy companies.

It realy depends on trhe use of the rotary and your budget

Hope i've helped there..
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 737 Gez View Post
    Hi Eric, I have experience and own both modules. DA and GF and without doubt the goflight module rotaries are much much better, they can be turned fast and keep up, and function EXACTLY as on screen.

The DA rotary is much slower it can only cope with slow rotary movements so more suited to the autobrake panel for example. whereas the GF rotaries are better for the autopilt heading for example.

Hope that helps, i know GFmay be slightly more expensive even though both are economy companies.

It realy depends on trhe use of the rotary and your budget

Hope i've helped there..

Oh, ok so it wasnt my system with the DA board.....
    Seems you saw the same thing I did. It just couldnt keep up. I returned to Steve but he thought it worked fine on his FS2004 rig. I told him it couldnt keep up and was inconsistant on mine. We both finally gave up and he was gracious enough to give me a refund.

It is too bad because for the price the DA cant be beat. If he could somehow get it to keep up and be consistent it would be awesome.

Oh well...

Hagie it is...

7. Thanks Tomlin thanked for this post

The need I have is for the two altimeter settings, the two decision height settings and the two MFD rotaries. I think speed would not be too bad since ALL of these functions would be used only occasional through out the flight. Altimeter doesnt change very much at all unless you fly from perfectly nice weather into a horrible low pressure system and of course, Decision Ht. is usually 200 Ft. Just having the ability to adjust it is what Im looking for and regarding the MFD, Map Range is really the only need and it's not that often.

Would you guess that these are probably safe to use the AD Super card for?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

The need I have is for the two altimeter settings, the two decision height settings and the two MFD rotaries. I think speed would not be too bad since ALL of these functions would be used only occasional through out the flight. Altimeter doesnt change very much at all unless you fly from perfectly nice weather into a horrible low pressure system and of course, Decision Ht. is usually 200 Ft. Just having the ability to adjust it is what Im looking for and regarding the MFD, Map Range is really the only need and it's not that often.

Would you guess that these are probably safe to use the AD Super card for?

I dont think so Eric. I put one for altimeter and it was very difficult. Now granted, if you are only changing a couple on millibars you can do it. But if you have to go say from 2992 to 3092 then you are turning and turning and turning and it is very inconsistent. At least that was my experience. I also tryied using on OBSs and DG in 172 and again, it was unusable. If you were to adjust one of these functions using an RP48 from GoFlight and then try using the DA, you would be very upset with the DA. That is if in fact they functioned like mine and the other gentlemans did. Also I should note that I use the 2 rotarie inputs on my Hagestrom 108 for the GPS panel I made on a dual concentric rotary and it works awesome. Again, night and day.

Just how many rotaries do we need for the Lear 45? I already have a GF RP48 so I have 4 rotaries with that and my Hagestrom board has 2 if I rob those away now from my old GPS panel which wont be needed in the Learjet.

Scott

If going full scale, you need 11 single rotary encoders and 2 dual rotary encoders.

These are:

FGC- CRS1, HDG, ALT, SPD, CRS2

DUs- Pilot DH, Pilot Alt, EICAS, ND, Copilot DH, Copilot Alt

The two RMUs of course use the dual rotary encoders.

Thanks for the info btw!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

If going full scale, you need 11 single rotary encoders and 2 dual rotary encoders.

These are:

FGC- CRS1, HDG, ALT, SPD, CRS2

DUs- Pilot DH, Pilot Alt, EICAS, ND, Copilot DH, Copilot Alt

The two RMUs of course use the dual rotary encoders.

Thanks for the info btw!

I think I am going to control the RMUs via my 2 GF166s and wont do anyting on co-pilot so that should work out to 9 singles then. Yikes.

Well, I guess I need to get a couple Hagestrom Rotary Encoder boards. Darn, I wish the DA unit would have worked....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast