Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

T-38C Sim going to depot

Well, I am putting the cockpit into the hanger for a major conversion. I spent today setting up the old sim (pre-cockpit). Took me two hours to get the old CH-Products yoke working again. The Go-flight modules work fine. I still can't get the brakes to work right on the CH-rudder pedals, but it is flying.

I plan on rewiring the cockpit. I kept getting ghosting on switches and the analog axes never were perfect. Now, I will be able to fly while I test IO cards, fiddle with the code, and rebuild the control stick.

My idea is to build a test box consisting of a couple switches, buttons, encoders, LEDS, etc. I will use this to test the IO cards and code snippets.

I purchased an axes card from Leo Bodnar and plan on trying it out along with the Open cockpit cards.

I plan on testing each piece before installing and wiring. Hopefully, I will get rid of most of the glitches.

My wife asked me a silly question today. She asked, "Will you ever finish that thing and just fly?"
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

If you are interested, I have a like-new set of Thrustmaster high-end controllers for the F-16 that my son bought me a year ago that I've never used. He didn't realized I retired from fighters and joined the bus driver union.

I can't remember the series and I have them packed away in the original box, but this set is the one manufactured from all metal components both stick and throttle, weighs a ton, and is about as flightworthy as the real thing.

Well maybe not, but they do weigh quite a bit. I have no use for them, but I don't want to hurt my sons feelings so if they disappear quietly into the night I can add to my 727.

Shoot me an e-mail or PM if you're interested.

I think you'll be happy with Leo's cards. I'm using one for all of the axis on my throttle as well as all of the switches. Never let me down yet.

You can rid youself of the ghosting problems altogether with the Hagstrom USB card. I haven't bought one yet, but I hear that's the ticket.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

BTW, where did the AF send the T-38 back for a Level C or D check? Back to Northrop? Odgen? No can't be Odgen, they're Minuteman Depot Maintenance.

Does the AF do a complete strip for a high level check?
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Oh my, don't tempt. That is a Thrustmaster Cougar set. Many do consider them to be the best controllers around. There is a cottage industry for redoing those things. You can actually get them redone with hall sensors and better bearings and springs. I read where someone was offering to convert it into the strain gauge system, like the real F-16.

I have a CH-Products setup that works very well. If I didn't already have them, I would jump on your offer to sell.

I want my control stick to work like the CH-Products or Cougar but be full size and look like the real stick. It was working, just not as well as I wished.

I think my problem with the ghosting came from changing cards in mid build. I originally planned to use Beta Innovations cards. But Leo Lacava gave up on FSX and quit supporting it. So I switched to the Opencockpit system. In the meanwhile I had already done a lot of wiring of the switches. Leo Lacava's cards allows you to use a common ground. With the Opencockpits only eight switches can share a common ground.

Also, I was using their USBaxes card to operate some switches. I could never share grounds with that card and the USB/Master card. So, I am starting over with some of the wiring.

The T-38C Pacer Classic was actually done by Boeing. They inherited it when Boeing acquired Macdonnell Douglas who had won the original contract. It was based on the F-5 avionics upgrade designed by the Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI). There are two upgrades done to the "A" model to make it a "C", Avionics is the most noticeable. The engine are also changed and minor modification are done to the airframe to accommodate the larger engines.

The program was headquartered out of Randolph, AFB. However, I think the work was done at the old Craig, AFB in Selma, AL. Which, incidentally, is where I attended pilot training.
    Last edited by jmig; 07-06-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Add material
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

Yeah, that it, the Cougar set. Really nice controllers, but I have no use for them and never even plugged them in. I guess I oughta ask my son if he'd like them back, but I think that would either insult him or hurt his feelings. I guess one of these days they'll go to e-Bay. Funny he knew I had switched to the 727 but bought them for me anyway. Probably trying to nudge me back to Air Force aircraft.

I can tell you from photos that you can't tell these TM controllers from the real deal.

I didn't know IPT was held at that base. I also didn't know the latest history of that aircraft. I had always though that was a Northrop airplane.
    Boeing Skunk Works