Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

just Google for PIC and you will find the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.

John, as a former BI customer you seem to have allot of misconceptions about my products so I wish to make some clarifications.

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    BetaInnovations' Plasma series are good cards. http://www.betainnovations.com/

Just be aware that Leo doesn't support FSX or FSUIPC.
    The Plasma series of cards are recognized as standard joysticks in windows and therefore compatible with any sim including FS & FSUIPC. The limitation exists where there are more than 32 digital and 8 analog inputs. For the digital inputs, you would need to use keyboard emulation through the software utility "F4IM" I provide which is not only for Falcon 4.

Most I/O cards made for flight sims are optimized for either MSFS and/or X-Plane. Beta Innovations works with Falcon 4 and race car games. This means that some more advanced function of say, MechWarrior may not work through the card, unless MechWarrior provides a program to utialize the card.
    BI cards work with all sims including the MW series either as joystick interfaces or through keyboard emulation. Only the output functions such as those found on the ElectronFlux and Plasma-Lite cards are limited to Falcon 4 and various racing sims. In the case of MW where no output data is available as far as I know, no output card will work in this case.

For instance the Beta Innovations Plasma cards have software that allows them to be easily set to the Falcon 4 key commands. But, they don't support FSX.
    The software I provide (F4IM) can be used as a standalone application which supports key commands for use with any sims including FSX. Only the outputs (gauges, LEDs, etc.) are limited to Falcon 4 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by xCav8r
    I've read about different cards (or systems of interlinked cards) supporting more than eight axes, but I always heard that there was a limit imposed by Windows of eight axes per game controller and 16 game controllers total. I assume there is some truth to that, but I don't know if it's dependent on the operating system or that some I/O cards have figured out a work around. FSBus, for example, seems to support 32 analog inputs. This just confuses me
    The joystick API has the 8 axis, 32 joystick, 16 device limitation, DirectX does not. Since most game developers are still old school, they continue to use the API or limit the inputs to 8/32/16 through DX for some reason.

The DX limit is 128 inputs per device and more than 8 analog inputs but I don't recall the exact number. It can also support any number of devices up to the USB system limit of 128.

Of course none of this will help you with MW3 as you're stuck with a single device of 8/32 inputs unless you resort to keyboard emulation for additional inputs.

I used to produce a composite USB card a while back that was essentially 2 joysticks in one with 16 analog and 64 inputs that got around the 8/32 limit imposed by the windows API. However this card would only work if the sim can support more than one device at the same time. Not a problem for most modern sims that can read from multiple cards. I plan to re-release this card again soon.

So any card will work with any game? It's just that the software won't. Did I get that right?
    If the card is seen in windows as a joystick interface, then yes it will work in any game but the inputs will be limited to 8/32 so if it has more, those won't be usable. In the case of the Plasma-MM2 with 64 inputs, only the first 32 are recognized in windows. The remaining 32 must use keyboard emulation through F4IM.

What's the advantage of this card over one from Beta Innovations or Leo Bodnar? It seems like a lot more money for the same stuff.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Hagstrom card is seen by windows as a keyboard interface. BI cards are seen as joystick interfaces. Its up to you to choose which card is best suited for your needs based on the features it provides. There are pros and cons to both types of interfaces (keyboard vs joystick) but I believe using a joystick interfaces offers better advantages...but then again, I'm biased.

3. Thanks xCav8r thanked for this post

Hi Leo, It is good to see you here. I apologize if I was giving out incorrect information on your products. I have always admired you and liked your products. I would still be a "current" customer, except for this email you sent to me in Dec. 2006.

"Sorry John, but there won't be any FSX support in the foreseeable future. MS completely changed the interfacing method so FSIM would need to be rewritten from scratch. Additionally, there's just no way to survive and earn a living competing with low cost stuff from Open Cockpits and FSBUS. I'm afraid you'll have to look for another IO solution in this case."

That is when and why I went to Opencockpits. You recommended them to me.

I am glad you have returned to the FSX simulator. Your products and your support has always been first rate.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

Ah yes, but I was referring to the output functions only. I assumed you understood that the Plasma/Gamma modules will always be FS compatible since they are simple joystick interfaces or use keyboard emulation making them compatible with any application. Those would have been of no use to you for working gauges which is what you were asking me about at the time.

Jeez, you keep email correspondence that goes that far back?

Quote Originally Posted by LeoL View Post
    Ah yes, but I was referring to the output functions only. I assumed you understood that the Plasma/Gamma modules will always be FS compatible since they are simple joystick interfaces or use keyboard emulation making them compatible with any application. Those would have been of no use to you for working gauges which is what you were asking me about at the time.

Jeez, you keep email correspondence that goes that far back?
    I think I tried running some switches from your Plasma through FSUIPC and it didn't recognize the card? That would be another reason I thought they didn't work in FSX. Of course, considering I am just a dumb Cajun...it could have been me.

I try to use FSUIPC to assign buttons and switches from basic I/O cards. It is so much more adaptable and, it allows you to do things FSX has never heard of before. Besides, FSX has a nasty habit of return all buttons to default for no reason. FSUIPC is more civilized, Guess that is because FSX was produced by Americans and FSUIPC by a Brit. Which, of course, begs the question, where do you Canadians fit into this?

As far as the email. Only from friends, Leo. And, I consider you to be one. Welcome back to FSX and welcome to MyCockpits.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

I think I tried running some switches from your Plasma through FSUIPC and it didn't recognize the card?
    If you still need help with that, contact me through email or on my forum. If you see the card in the windows game control panel, then the card is fine and should be recognized by FSUIPC and FS.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing Skunk Works View Post
    The USB card from Hagstrom looks very promising. I think it has 108 inputs with no ghosting and treats toggle switches as a momentary so it's no continuously sending a keystroke command.

That's gonna be my next card and I'm rewiring my overhead with it.
    Man, I have been trying to find this card on their site but I cannot for the life of me. Can you provide a link please?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    Man, I have been trying to find this card on their site but I cannot for the life of me. Can you provide a link please?
    ? It is well advertised at the home page of Hagstrom:

http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/

Nico

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Ha! That's funny because this is what I got when I did a google search the first time or two: http://www.sbrilliance.com/hagstrom/...s/modules.html

I see my error now.

So, my question about this device is how do we access FSUIPC offsets with its software, and how much of an impact does it have on the network, etc.?

Can someone here with experience with these offer up performance reviews?

Thanks,
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Well it generates keystrokes, these keystrokes can be recognised by FSUIPC and you can define in FSUIPC that upon receival it will select one of the FSControls that manipulates offsets... as easy as that ...

Note that I used to have 2 KE72's 5 years ago. In my opinion you better use real interface systems such as Opencockpits IOcards or FSBUS, or Phidgets or even EPIC.

My 2 cts

Nico

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast