10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Another new commer

Well, hi

As many simmers are going into pit buildings many are joining such community, including yours truly.

I have been around sims since early 90's but been away for the last few years because I spend more time on RC planes. And now am back and can see how things have advanced a lot.

Still I can not make up my mind wither to build a jet liner cockpit (and then which model) or Viper pit based on F4AF since am flying both. Another idea is to start with something simple like a GA Cessna like pit just to grasp the knowledge an skill needed for a more advance pit?

But do the time and cost worth it?

For the time being I'll be going through the forum, the internet and other pits building forums researching and asking questions.

** For those who hang around other forums may see my repeated posts for the sake of getting as much as I can info, so I apologies for such annoyance.

- Falcon

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Falcon, Welcome to the Forums.

You seem to have a good handle on things, It may be beneficial to begin working on a small GA Pit to work on techniques, and other assorted talents. One of the important aspects in Pit building is to realize that with every rebuild you improve your pit 10 fold.

So not matter where you start, you will more then likely start again and again until your 100% satisfied with the result.

Again Welcome to Mycockpit.org

I look forward to seeing you around asking all your questions, because thats what we are here for.

Trev

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Hi Falcon

If you have been desktop simming for a while, you may already have what you need to get started other than an interface card. I would suggest you look at some interface cards and learn how to connect switches and buttons, etc and make the sim do 'stuff' via the interface cards and then thru that experience start deciding on what type of pit. It's amazing the first time you connect up some buttons, etc and program them and they do what you want!

Take care and best of luck.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Falcon,

Welcome to the world of sim building. Funny about your dillemma as I'm building a GA pit but have just purchased a CH Fighterstick and Throttle for the F16 thrill. Some of the viper pits are simply awesome, however they are relatively limiting in their aircraft scope. After seeing THIS site on how to build a simple fighter pit I decided it was a simple exercise.

Alternatively to get the best of both worlds another Mycockpit member has joined both a fighter and airliner style pit very successfully HERE.

Whatever you decide there's a long but satisfying road ahead.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Hi Falcon,

Welcome to the world of sim building. Funny about your dillemma as I'm building a GA pit but have just purchased a CH Fighterstick and Throttle for the F16 thrill. Some of the viper pits are simply awesome, however they are relatively limiting in their aircraft scope. After seeing THIS site on how to build a simple fighter pit I decided it was a simple exercise.

Alternatively to get the best of both worlds another Mycockpit member has joined both a fighter and airliner style pit very successfully HERE.

Whatever you decide there's a long but satisfying road ahead.

Ken.
    Thank you guys for the warm welcome and the tips.
    Also thank you Ken for the links

Eric any suggestions which IO cards route should I take?

TIA

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Falcon View Post
    Thank you guys for the warm welcome and the tips.
    Also thank you Ken for the links

Eric any suggestions which IO cards route should I take?

TIA
    Well, I feel the majority of them are pretty good. I use the FDS SYS3 card for the majority of my inputs, but wish it had the ability to handle rotary encoders like the Flight Deck Technology boards can. Also, GoFlight has WONDERFUL parts that make up their units called 'Remote Mount Kits' that are great to get started with too, and something like the RP48 is a good start since it gets you 8 buttons and 4 rotary encoders for fairly cheap. That is what I use to drive the majority of my autopilot for the LJ45 since it accepts rotary encoders.

Best,
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Welcome, if you want to tear up large sums of money, build and F-16 cockpit

A GA pit is much more flexibe and cheaper. Just my 2 cents, having been there.
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.