Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Airbus

Ok Lewis,
    After reading that last comment I have to say this, Maurice is DEAD RIGHT! Noone here is making money off anyone unless it is an actual tangible piece of equipment that cost them $$ to produce such as Gwyn and his beautiful TQ or Phil744 an his amazing panels. I understand you want to fund your sim project, notice I say want not NEED! This is a hobby of sharing Lewis not a hobby of making money off our friends and fellow hobbyists when it costs us nothing to produce. For all the 100s of hours spent with offering you advice, help, suggestions etc FREE OF CHARGE all Maurice is saying is join the rest of us by sharing what little you can with no expectation of return. Earn your sim fund $$ a different way not by seling what should be FREE info to your fellow hobbyists that never hesitated in helping you. We all would like to fund our sims not only you but we do it in a way that does not take advantage of our fellow hobbyists regardless of how accurrat or great your drawing are. So put them up for no charge in the file section for anyone to FREELY benefit from cause its te right thing to do or dont bother to discuss it at all if your gonna use it to try to make money on your fellow enthusiasts. Another guy did that not so long ago and became one of the most disliked persons in this Hobby and his name started with C and rhymed with BAD! So dont go there and dont be that guy.Remember I helped you always for Free Lewis do the same for others.

JMO

Tim
    A340
    Canada

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

My understanding of Lewis last comment is that he is going to provide the drawings for FREE. He is planning to fund his sim from selling the actual physical panel.... note that he said he is waiting to hear back from the sheet metal shop before he sets the price for the panel.

Regards,
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by andarlite View Post
    My understanding of Lewis last comment is that he is going to provide the drawings for FREE. He is planning to fund his sim from selling the actual physical panel.... note that he said he is waiting to hear back from the sheet metal shop before he sets the price for the panel.

Regards,
    Henry
    Yes, Lewis did change his original statement about wanting to sell the plans. If he is selling hardware, I don't think anybody here would or should object to that in any way.

Maurice

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

I may regret it but,

I got to step in a bit here.

Maurice and Tim, you are IMHO partially right in your comments regarding selling ideas and info. The reason for this forum is mainly for the free distribution of information that is intened to help us all build our dreams. We also see commercial products available here as well, and if we didnt, then we most likely wouldnt see the site last very long, save for the fact that Matt and others contribute so much money, time, and love to it. However, people sell information all the time- they sell house plans, plans to build CNC machines, and plans to build aircraft (real) each and every day, sometimes for THOUSANDS of dollars.

My point here is that if someone wants to make money off of selling stuff, whether hardware, software, or intellectual, it's their business. However, they should be ready to provide the appropriate service for that stuff too.

It's my hope that this wont turn into an ugly discussion, or hard feelings toward anyone, as I love this site and I thank all who contribute to it for doing so!

I personally have no hard feelings toward anyone, and I dont blaim Lewis for trying to be creative in raising funds for his project. However Lewis, remember that we are a tight knit community and sometimes we have to make decisions carefully, and I personally have been there-done that in regards to trying to make a business or money off of sim stuff before ever building much. My encouragement to you is to find other ways to fund your project and get some hours under your belt and THEN look for ways to work in the sim community by making products, etc.

Best of luck to all! And let's get back to building and flying!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Plans and information should be free alright, but if it's hardware, software etc then thats another story I guess. Panel looks good lewis regarding your drawings I seen there.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Simmons View Post
    Thanks to both of you.

Yes I have been looking at LCD's and I am doing a simulated test fit of some common screens today.

Yup I am using google sketchup.

No, I will not be uploading these files as I am considering selling these parts on demand so at the moment only I will have a copy of this file.

I will let you know in a few hours probably what sort of price you would be looking at for a set like those in the pics.
    Great job Lewis!

Don’t let the naysayers get you down.

Make sure you stick to your convictions and don't let anyone change your mind as you made this happen.

Joe

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Smile Fine Line

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    My point here is that if someone wants to make money off of selling stuff, whether hardware, software, or intellectual, it's their business. However, they should be ready to provide the appropriate service for that stuff too.

It's my hope that this wont turn into an ugly discussion, or hard feelings toward anyone, as I love this site and I thank all who contribute to it for doing so!

I personally have no hard feelings toward anyone, and I dont blaim Lewis for trying to be creative in raising funds for his project.

Best of luck to all! And let's get back to building and flying!
    The above is a partial quote, but I'm we're right there with you Eric and I appreciate your comments. We (MyCockpit) depends on advertisers (Vendors) to help pay for the costs of running our site, although we still run in the red. Our advertising as I describe it to our vendors is ridiculously low (at least right now). Sometimes someone comes in a announces their products, particularly someone we don't know. Of course we bump them and give them opportunity to participate in our advertising program.

There are fellow builders who build parts for the love of it and sell parts at cost, I welcome them here to show their products, because that's what MyCockpit.org is all about. I understand, there is a fine line here.... We have the right to call it what side of the line it's on.

If a builder/member wants to sell parts to help pay for their project, we've got the Classifieds area for that. You can sell what ever you want there (well, within reason ) But here in the forum... We get particular... this is Prime Real-estate.

Enough jabbering.... I think you get my point.

Matt Olieman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12