Thread: Fsuipc Tutorial

150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Fsuipc Tutorial

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good FSUIPC tutorial about using and setting offsets. I can't seem to find any ino on the FSUIPC site or in the documentation.

Thanks

Rob

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I'd like to know that too because I cannot understand the manual.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Quote Originally Posted by mounty View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know of a good FSUIPC tutorial about using and setting offsets. I can't seem to find any ino on the FSUIPC site or in the documentation.

Thanks

Rob
    Inside the downloaded zip are Fsuipc's manual with all the FS offsets. More offstes for PM are at PM's site

Eddie Armaos

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Eddie,

Have looked at all the documentation in FSUIPC, but it doesn't tell you how to use the offsets. I know little or nothing about programming and what i've read hasn't helped at all.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Eddie,

Have looked at all the documentation in FSUIPC, but it doesn't tell you how to use the offsets. I know little or nothing about programming and what i've read hasn't helped at all.

Thanks

Rob
    Rob,

where do you need to programming with offsets?
    Tell us which io system you gonna use to help you here with examples.

Eddie Armaos

25+ Posting Member

This isn't a tutorial on programming, but here's a really good way to use FSUIPC for CH Products yokes. http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/CH_...ith_FSUIPC.pdf

Using offsets (simply memory locations that reveal or set a parameter in FS) has to be done either 1) through a program designed to read/set them (these usually come with the interface card vendors), or 2) write a program yourself to do it.

Eddie's right, tell us what interface card setup you have and someone can help with it.

Steve

500+ This must be a daytime job

Quote Originally Posted by sbecker777 View Post
    Using offsets (simply memory locations that reveal or set a parameter in FS) has to be done either 1) through a program designed to read/set them (these usually come with the interface card vendors), or 2) write a program yourself to do it.
    Well, though that was how it was intended, it isn't quite true.

In the drop-downs for Button and Key assignments in FSUIPC options there are "Offset ..." controls. With these you can specify an offset and a data parameter value to go with it, and get FSUIPC to "write" to that offset when you press the associated key or button.

The added Offset controls deal with whole bytes (8-bit, or 1-byte), words (16-bit or 2 byte) , or "Double words) (32bits of 4 bytes), and others, or even setting or clearing individual bits or multiple bits.

So it is possible, to some extent, to do what programs do simply by programming a button or two. Examples are actually given in the documentation for FSUIPC -- I don't know how folks here say they can't understand it. If you can fly an aircraft and understand a cockpit, using FSUIPC is a doddle, and the documentation has been developed over the 10 years as a result of user feedback. I'm sorry it is only in English, but, after all, that is actually the language of aviation, like it or not.

Incidentally, the term "offset" did originally relate to the fact that, in FS98 and before, FS's variable values were in a memory area and the "offset" was the byte address from its start. However, that became less and less the case with each subsequent release of FS, and today the offset numbers tend to be little more than "tokens" or names for the values they represent. FSUIPC has to interpret these and then go and "do the right thing", to maintain the FS98 illusion.

Regards

Pete

8. Thanks Mike.Powell thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of FSUIPC and when I select an item in the drop down menu, there are no "offset" numbers as such, just the actions such as "Toggle Lights"

So if I understand you correctly Pete, for example Project Magenta comes with it's own offsets that are actioned thro' FSUIPC?

Thanks

Rob

500+ This must be a daytime job

I'm using the latest version of FSUIPC and when I select an item in the drop down menu, there are no "offset" numbers as such, just the actions such as "Toggle Lights"
    If you got to "T" for "Toggle" you went past the "Offset" controls, which all, oddly enough, begin with "O".

There are no "offset numbers" listed -- the controls are generic and can be used for any offset, which is entered in a new field which pops up when you select an offset control.

In the Advanced User's guide there is a list of all the FSUIPC-added controls (i.e. those added above what FS provides). Has no one ever though of actually looking? I evidently waste my time on such documents, and facilities, come to that.

if I understand you correctly Pete, for example Project Magenta comes with it's own offsets that are actioned thro' FSUIPC?
    There again, why does nobody look at the documentation provided by PM? There's a large list of FSUIPC offsets used by PM, all accessible by program or control, and all listed on the PM website (look for the strangely secretive word "documentation"). Other programs, like SA_WXR and Squawkbox, and many others, also use offsets (including FS9 PMDG programs) but they don't all publish them openly like PM.

Pete

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dowson View Post
    I don't know how folks here say they can't understand it. If you can fly an aircraft and understand a cockpit, using FSUIPC is a doddle, and the documentation has been developed over the 10 years as a result of user feedback.

Regards

Pete
    Hey Pete,

I have to say that yes, your Documentation is complete, and 100% accurate, however I think the part that is hard for some of us (myself included) Find that although some of the documentation is quite clear and easy to read, some of the sections require you to almost be inside your head to understand.

For example. I deal with Lawyers on a daily basis, and when I read legal documents sometimes I shake my head, trying to understand the terminology and the ways of speaking.

Ie. (In the matter of an intended proceeding. ) instead of (We are going to move forward and deal with situation.)

Please understand that the Layman finds the idea of OFFSETS terrifying, even though it isn't. The best description I ever heard was describing the offset as a mailing address for information.

I think it is difficult for some people that are extremely gifted intellectually (like yourself) to not understand why some people can't understand the words you set forth in your documentation. But honestly. Give your documentation to a 18 year old working behind the counter in McDonalds, and he is going to stare at you like your from another planet.

I am sure this is one reason why you get so many people asking you questions. I am a little scared of asking for help regarding this section myself, as I am sure I am only going to get the "read the manual" speach LOL But seriously I have read your manual several times, and I am still struggling with offsets and FSUPIC.

I was fortunate enough to have Thomas Richter help me understand what I needed to know for PMSystems and my LED64, however I am terrified of using FSUPIC to directly control, any offset that isn't just "ON" or "OFF"
    Only because I am just too stupid to understand your manual.

Just food for thought..

Trev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast