Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    9
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Well-financed newbie asks ... which vendor?

    I'm curious to find out what the veterans here think is the most reliable vendor(s) to use assuming that you A) have the cash you need in hand (let's say $150,000), and B) you want a nice, enclosed 737-800 or Airbus 320 cockpit to while away your leisure time. Seriously.

    I am researching such a (fantastic) scenario and am seeking expert opinions.

    I know that there are now many more vendors of such parts/solutions than there were even five years ago (Aerodeck, FlightDeck, FlyPFC, etc etc) when this first all came up to this level, but am actually now confused between the number of build-your-own versus built versus a bit of each options that have now made themselves available.

    When did this explode so much past simply a hobby we were all attempting in our garages (with the humorous toleration of our spouses)?

    I guess I'm really asking ... if you had the cash to outright buy a nice cockpit sim, who would you spend it with (and why, if you want to elaborate). I assume that there are places that can even deliver the whole package now, right?

    Thanks for taking the time. Or if this has been approached before, can you point me to the relevant thread.

    PS. I'm a former ATC, private pilot, technology nut and artist-type (last 18 years) whose dad always took him to CYYZ's old terminal 1 to watch planes back in the 60s and 70s.

  2. #2
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,432
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Hey Davey,

    Here is the big dilemma for you. I have seen so many people jump off the ladder and hit the ground by purchasing tones of equipment and ready made accessories. Here is the problem. Once you jump off the ladder you will never get "and I quote" Your money back 100%.

    Part of building the simulator is the fun of it, but if nothing else it lets you spend your money bit by bit, and see if this is a hobby that is really for you. I have seen so many people miss the point of the simulator and buy all kinds of stuff, just to find out that they loose some configuration somewhere, and don't know where to go to fix it because they didn't build it.

    So if Money is no object, and you have the ability... I would buy the parts as kit form, and enjoy building it as you go.

    Other wise, you may find yourself wishing you had in the future.

    However, if your independently wealthy, and you have tones of money to burn. Sure there are many people that will take it from you, just be aware that when you order a complete lot of equipment like your interested in, you can expect to shell out the money months before you see anything arrive.

    My honest opinion is to decide on Airbus or Boeing. (be sure of your decision because there is no turning back) Order yourself the MCP and EFIS panels from CPflight, or 737Ng.com, get some good Computers, a Main Instrument panel from either of the above suppliers, and Project magenta software, and go from there. Make sure you assemble and configure everything, and if your still interested you have only blown about 1/10th of what you want to spend.

    Just my opinion.

    Best regards,

    Trev
    ________________________
    Trevor Hale

  3. #3
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    9
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Hey Davey,

    Here is the big dilemma for you. I have seen so many people jump off the ladder and hit the ground by purchasing tones of equipment and ready made accessories. Here is the problem. Once you jump off the ladder you will never get "and I quote" Your money back 100%.

    Part of building the simulator is the fun of it, but if nothing else it lets you spend your money bit by bit, and see if this is a hobby that is really for you. I have seen so many people miss the point of the simulator and buy all kinds of stuff, just to find out that they loose some configuration somewhere, and don't know where to go to fix it because they didn't build it.

    So if Money is no object, and you have the ability... I would buy the parts as kit form, and enjoy building it as you go.

    Other wise, you may find yourself wishing you had in the future.

    However, if your independently wealthy, and you have tones of money to burn. Sure there are many people that will take it from you, just be aware that when you order a complete lot of equipment like your interested in, you can expect to shell out the money months before you see anything arrive.

    My honest opinion is to decide on Airbus or Boeing. (be sure of your decision because there is no turning back) Order yourself the MCP and EFIS panels from CPflight, or 737Ng.com, get some good Computers, a Main Instrument panel from either of the above suppliers, and Project magenta software, and go from there. Make sure you assemble and configure everything, and if your still interested you have only blown about 1/10th of what you want to spend.

    Just my opinion.

    Best regards,

    Trev
    Much of what you say is what I've been mulling over myself. I do want the experience of building/tinkering and have enough buddies with engineering and mechanical backgrounds to help when I hit the inevitable roadblock.

    I'm torn between Airbus and Boeing. I love the A320 ... seeing them in the sky around YYZ every day and "flying" one in X-Plane, but I can not get over my "if there's no yokes, it's not a real airplane" mentality having grown up through the 1960s and 1970s.

    There also seems to be more Boeing stuff out there ... when it comes to eventually getting it completely done ... or am I mistaken?

    If there are decent/full A320 parts (overheads, etc) available, I think I'd probably go Airbus.

    Thanks for the input ... more to mull over (I like that feeling).

  4. #4
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,432
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Well you are right, there is more Boeing stuff out there then there is Airbus, However, that doesn't stop you from doing it yourself. Guys have spent 15K on a laser cutter/engraver just to build their own panels.

    I was an Airbus Fan, and still am at heart. Seeing the new FCU/EFIS Panels from Cpflight for the Airbus, is a real tear jerker for me, because If I had only known then what I know now, I may have jumpped off that ladder instead.

    The biggest thing you need to realize is that every time you rebuild your simulator, it gets better and better. I don't think that anyone can build it 100% perfect first go.

    Secondly, I have seen people sop all their money into Boeing stuff, only to realize that Airbus is their love, and then they try to recoup a portion of their money to buy airbus stuff, only to find out they are just as unsatisfied.

    Research, research, and more research is the ticket. Figure out what you want to do, and play with it. I spent at least a year going over things before I started, but I tell you this. The day you connect your first switch to a ripped apart joystick for your landing gear, so you have something to flick rather then pressing G on the keyboard is the day it's all over.

    We are here to help, kind of a shrinks for sim builders to help you get perspective before you do something you might regret.

    And by the way. If Airbus is where your heart Lies..... follow it, you will never be disappointed, and like I said, I think many of us on this site have proven that just because something isn't available on the market today, doesn't mean we cant tell you how you can go about building it yourself. Thats why it is still considered to be a Hobby.

    Best regards,

    Trev
    ________________________
    Trevor Hale

  5. #5
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Jackpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    MONTREAL
    Posts
    1,046
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post
    If there are decent/full A320 parts (overheads, etc) available, I think I'd probably go Airbus.
    I am an FDS client and a very satisfied one, building a 73, but I have seen their A320 stuff ..impressive.
    They are just next door to U, no duties, no shipping cost. Go and have a look.
    As a starter:
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/view_page.php?id=63
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=585
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=529
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

  6. #6
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,432
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Well said Jack,

    When you ordered your stuff from FDS, how long from time of order did you need to wait before you got the stuff?

    Would you say less then a month?

    Trev
    ________________________
    Trevor Hale

  7. #7
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    9
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackpilot View Post
    I am an FDS client and a very satisfied one, building a 73, but I have seen their A320 stuff ..impressive.
    They are just next door to U, no duties, no shipping cost. Go and have a look.
    As a starter:
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/view_page.php?id=63
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=585
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=529
    Yeah, I like them a lot. I spent time at their open house recently speaking with Peter and his brother when I had the chance with some very tech-savvy friends of mine as well and we came away very pleased with their work. As a matter of fact, on a forum thread there about that evening, my son is sitting in the right hand seat in one of the pictures. It was superb work by them ... I enjoyed every minute. And being local has advantages over other good builders it is true. (And that balding(!) guy examining the throttle quadrant might even be me.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Well said Jack,

    When you ordered your stuff from FDS, how long from time of order did you need to wait before you got the stuff?

    Would you say less then a month?

    Trev
    They actually spoke with me to some degree about what I have in mind and their estimate for delivery for a "very large order" wasn't out of line for what is required. For smaller orders, I'm certain they can accommodate well but as to specifics, not sure. They hang out here a bit, no?

  8. #8
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Jackpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    MONTREAL
    Posts
    1,046
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Smile

    Trev
    Variable, but they always sent me more than enough to keep me super busy building, including custom parts. All a matter of properly planning ahead wich part you will need and when.
    No complaints about that...
    Lots of innovative products, very often ahead of most competitors.
    My 2 cents.
    I strongly encourage Davey to have a look, talk with them and make his own opinion.
    The fact that they are on our "cold" side of the border is certainly an asset for him!!
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

  9. #9
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Jackpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    MONTREAL
    Posts
    1,046
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    sorry Dav you answered before my reply...I could not attend this time .Glad you had fun.
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

  10. #10
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,432
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackpilot View Post
    Trev
    Variable, but they always sent me more than enough to keep me super busy building, including custom parts. All a matter of properly planning ahead wich part you will need and when.
    No complaints about that...
    Lots of innovative products, very often ahead of most competitors.
    My 2 cents.
    I strongly encourage Davey to have a look, talk with them and make his own opinion.
    The fact that they are on our "cold" side of the border is certainly an asset for him!!
    Fantastic Jack. I agree with you 100%. If they are able to keep some kind of part flow coming to keep you busy then that is indeed a bonus. My biggest fear would be dropping 3 or 4 K and having to wait for months and months, wondering if your stuff is ever coming. LOL, obviously this is not the case.

    I almost wish when I lived in the City that Peter would have let me come by and have a look at their products. I had the pleasure of a couple emails exchanged, and when I requested a possible visit, he told me that he wouldn't be able to swing that.

    I am not quite sure why, but I just assumed that he was working on some incognito project. LOL I am very glad that you have had such wonderful experiences with FDS.
    ________________________
    Trevor Hale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New add-on vendor
    By choffmann in forum MSFS ADD-ONs General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 05:17 PM
  2. Newbie to forum, sort of newbie to flight sim!
    By jtthorpe33 in forum Welcome to MyCockpit New here? Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
  3. Best 737NG vendor
    By trauma2005 in forum General Builder Questions All Aircraft Types
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 12:20 AM
  4. Hello! First Post! Newbie Builder asks for help
    By Abrupto in forum General Builder Questions All Aircraft Types
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
  5. Need some help/vendor help
    By 737NUT in forum General Builder Questions All Aircraft Types
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 10:48 PM