25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile Hi my name is...

Hello Pilots.

My name is Dave and i'm form germany.
    I'm build a 737 NG Cockpit since a half year.

If you want visit my webside.. http://www.captdave.de.vu

there you can find a documentation of my project and some other things what have to do with aviation.

best greetings to all.

dave

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Mycockpit.org. Please feel free to add your website address to the builders links section of the website.

Hopefully you find our site helpful.

Best regards,

Trev

Tracy Hale
    Hi Dave, welcome to MyCockpit.org. Glad you could join us

It never ceases to amaze me when real pilots get started on a home-built flight sim project. How on earth can they be happy with anything other than a full motion CAE simulator?

I guess it must have something to do with that insane love of aviation which you can never recover from if you are afflicted by it

Anyway, great to see another 'victim' here . There are so many questions which you can only get from those who are able to fly the real thing. So, welcome and looking forward to picking your brain in return for you picking ours

Maurice

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me when real pilots get started on a home-built flight sim project. How on earth can they be happy with anything other than a full motion CAE simulator?

I guess it must have something to do with that insane love of aviation which you can never recover from if you are afflicted by it

Anyway, great to see another 'victim' here . There are so many questions which you can only get from those who are able to fly the real thing. So, welcome and looking forward to picking your brain in return for you picking ours

Maurice
    I have a 737NG pilot from Virgin Blue who visits my sim and I asked him the same question - "Why the interest in a homebuilt sim?" He says when he is flying the real thing he is almost as much a passenger as everyone behind him and if he wants to hand fly he must follow the flight director at all times. The real sims have limited airports and visuals and will only bank over so much. He laughs out loud when he is rolling my 737 and flying it under the Sydney harbour bridge inverted and he obviously loves aviation in general as much as the rest of us. He flys PMDG on his home desktop for his own practice and encourages his student pilots to use PMDG aswel.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

You can do things ATC would have you shot down for in a real plane.
    Not to mention the ability to have student pilots try something over and over and over and... until they get it right.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

....not to mention (as I point out in the FAQs of my website)

Q: Why would you want to put so much time, effort, and MONEY into a simulator?

A: Why would anyone spend time chasing a little white ball around on well kept greens in nice clothes that are way too hot during the summer? Why would anyone spend thousands on a boat that seems to always need some repairs or new equipment or a partner to go get the thing in and out of the water? Why would anyone run around in the woods before sunrise in the freezing cold to shoot at a wild animal when you can get plenty of food at a super market for much cheaper/easier? BECAUSE IT'S FUN!!!

Q: Wouldnt it be much better to just spend the $10,000+ on getting your real pilot's licence?

A: Not for some. Imagine after spending all the time, money, and effort on getting your private pilot's certificate. After that, you must stay current on some type of aircraft. Then you have to pay for fuel. Then you must worry about the weather. Then you wonder if the plane you have been checked out on is even available at the local airport. Then, you realize that you would really like to get more ratings that would allow you to fly in poor weather conditions so that you could get more out of your time in the plane. About the time you get all your ratings, the plane you like to fly is no longer available and the cost of fuel has just gone up even more. With today's job market, it is highly unlikely that anyone would ever be able to get the ratings needed to fly a commercial airliner for the cost of this sim-slim at best! Also, fuel is always the same price-FREE! Plus, anytime of the day or night, weekend or holiday, you go out to your simulator and can 'fly' anywhere in the World. Of course, it's all virtual but you still learn alot from flight simming!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Boeing 777 Builder

Eric,

I would agree with practically all that you say. I spent probably $16,000AUD to get my PPL over a 3-4 year period. I considered going on to commercial but that would have cost an extra $20,000 or so. So I decided to stay private and fly for fun. I try to fly at least once per month and probably spend upwards of $3000 per year on flights, maps and other legal paper-work. When I got my license back in 2005 an hours flight in a C172 cost me about $140, now it cost almost $200! I try to balance the real and simulated flying to achieve the best of both worlds, but for how long I don't know.

However, despite all the costs of real flight and the benefits of simulators, when you take off from that runway in your real plane under your own control, it's really nothing a simulator can match.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Hi Dave,

Please feel free to add your website address to the builders links section of the website.

Trev
    Thank you.. Where i can find that section?

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I'll go along with that.

I haven't been current now in about four years, and I do miss it. I just can't afford it and eat.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!