Airbus Does this happen to you???

Hey Guys,
    Here is something that absolutely drives me up the wall and beyond, this is the most frustrating thing I've ever encountered in FS.
    Ok alot of you as myself are using PM (Very good software overall)
    however, for months and months things are great all software is clickin along and then one day you decide to have abit of a fly, ya jump in and Wham your PFD/ND GC software needs the license reissued and then you dig through your files find it put in the key, and then you have to completely reconfigure it resize it etc and yet you have done nothing different at all. Has this happened to you guys at all. It happens usuially after a reboot if that helps, but I am so fed up with this problem. For what I paid for all my PM software I at least expect it to keep its settings until I change it. Can anyone offer any help with this, not speculation but actual knowledge.Nothing more embarassing than having a new friend over to fly with ya and show them your pit and spend 1 hr reconfiguring your settings and by that time your friends got to go GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

PM I have is
    Airbus GC
    CDU/RCDU
    FCU
    PMInst
    Pm Sounds
    PM Wazzup Plus

Thanks
    Tim
    A340

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hey Tim.

Ok I can tell you this has happened Once to me. Only once in 2 years, however. What I did after I reconfigured it, is I made an additional copy of my config files and placed them in a seperate directory on the HD.

IMHO The issue from what I can tell is this.

When you shut down you PM PC's with project Magenta open, Windows actually corrupts the ini/cfg files when it is closing the software.

if you make a backup of the cfg/ini files and this happens, all you have to do is copy your backups over the ones in the PM directory and you will be up in running in minutes instead of the hour.

Just a thought, but from what I can tell it is the way Windows closes Magenta when it is shutting down.

The other possible solution, is manually close each of the programs before you shut down the computers.

Trev

3. Thanks warvet thanked for this post

Tim & Trevor,
    I have been remotely connecting to my ND & Standby/ECAIS computers and using Alt + q for years. Not closing PM first, as this key combo shuts it and the computer down. The only time I have had what Tim has seen was during a power outage, and it was worse than just detroying the ini file. Just my 2 cents.
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

5. Thanks warvet thanked for this post

I would strongly recommend making a backup of the ini file, as I have frequently suffered from this when updating - there is a utility on the latest updates Which allows an easy backup.
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

7. Thanks warvet thanked for this post
    Guys I knew you'd come through great suggestions I'll get right on it. Thanks for all super advice.

Tim
    A340

75+ Posting Member carlos hermida's Avatar

Happened to me one time too about 6 months ago and after that i started to make backup of each modification in my .ini files from all PM softwares that i change, so if it happens again i just copy my backup .ini file again and i am ready to go !
    In my case i am using B737NG and we have two display modes for instruments (EFIS and PFD mode), so i have one .ini file for each mode with right parameters.To change between modes i just overwrite the main one with that i want to fly, works great for me.
    Cockpit NG Simulation
    Facebook Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/cockpitngsimulation/

Not PM, but I have seen config files for the software I support for a living get blanked and corrupted when things go bad, ie a power failure. We have not been able to resolve it, so just goes to show that it can happen to other software out there.

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

Another solution i used before, is to make the ini files Read-Only.
    In this way you will not loose them!!

The copy solution is very nice also, as you can combine a batch (.bat) file to run the program and automatically copy the ini files before and then running the program.

Enjoy your Sunday!!

Eddie Armaos
    Athens - Greece