Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

mycockpit policies etc

Gee, its a funny thing. Since its inception i knew there would be some rough bumps down the road for this site. Its the nature of the beast. The structure of the site is directed at two things, Creating a pool of knowledge and advertising. The latest upgrade has created more banner space for that very purpose.

so...the funny part is...to create a pool of knowlege one needs a forum to talk about this hobby and its major parts vendors. But its not in the best interest to have negative feed back at hand when trying to sell the site as a haven for these vendors to advertise.

hmmm...a funny thing indeed. One cant expect the world to be totally polite when one invites the world into their forum can they? But once invited in, the individual should try to behave, i guess so.

Some of us have cruised throught this hobby and have never had any trouble with vendors. Some guys are at their wits end, and have had a very bad time. They use this site as they have no other avenue and their emails land on deaf ears. But we do not appreciate what they are going through when they blow up in an uncontrolled manner. It looks like they are simply being pests.

I admit there are ways and means to go about things. If you are tricky you can help yourself and not offend others. But i do admire those guys for the gumption they have in sticking their necks out sometimes. And sometimes they are just being plane silly.

Bottom line is. ..if people recognise a pattern that they are trying to be controlled for someone elses gain, the sh#t will hit the fan. And the fan wont be happy. That sort of policy is being re affirmed here right now. Not because we are nasty children and not because there is lots of advertising money to be made.....its just the way the site is set up.

It will be a hard road, some will love it...others will hate it. compared to most big forums, its very very very very very very very tame. We seem to be gentlemen here, i hope the moderators also realise they are blessed with a very polite group.

Please feel free to pm me if you are at wits end. I might be able to help as i have been there myself.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

In any major magazine that reports on a hobby, be it automobiles, fishing/hunting, computers, home improvement, etc., etc., have you ever seen a bad review of an advertising sponsor?

Please tell me if you have. :
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

3. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

um....we ARE the reporters mate.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

That's my point.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

6. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I just can't keep my mouth shut.... Defending advertisers..... LMAO The one you're referring to David is a Software Developer that does not even advertise with us. Hasn't paid us one cent for advertising. So there is no reason to protect what you may think is an income source. It's just common courtesy

I guess because some people don't get it, I'll say this over and over again. If you don't like a product, "Say So." Just don't go on and on about it, we read it the first time. Besides, you don't need to rewrite it because I can always re-read it, it'll be there.

BTW, there is only a handful of people, that has this need to continue to rehash and rehash the disapproval of a product they bought. Or did they buy it????? Or they just want to complain about something?????

They just like to get people stirred up, get the emotions going and waste valuable space that could be used to help new and old builders alike. It seems they're always the same people, and occasional someone out of the blue appears..... Never heard of them before, never ever have anything to offer, don't even say, "Hello, I'm a new builder or I'm building a....." but we get this: "I heard there is a problem with..... " is this true..... WOW, pure intelligence, RIGHT??? Do some investigation, read..... Nahhhhh it's more fun to stir donkey dung, LOL.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.... OOPS I'm repeating myself This is MY HOUSE, I pay the bills, the advertisers don't even pay half of the cost to make this site happen. SO... I MAKE THE RULES, and I think they are fair, non inflammatory rules, just plain helpful ones AND I'm always open to suggestions AND constructive criticism. BUT...... Bottom line..... FLIGHT SIM BUILDERS HELPING OTHER BUILDERS.

So if I or our staff perceives you're not supporting your fellow Flight Sim builders and you rant and rave.... and you're stirring Donkey Dung, POOF!!!! your post is gone.

There are over 30,000 wonderful informational, educational, helpful, exciting and appreciative, etc, etc, etc, posts on this site by thousands of fellow builders. I won't let one or two spoil it for the rest of us.

This post and this thread will disappear after a few days, because it's of no value, it's a waste of time and effort, just because of a few people that want to make it uncomfortable for the good hearted folks that are trying their darn-est to help others create a little pleasure in their life.

Matt Olieman

8. Thanks W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

i didnt refer to any vendor?
    i quite like mycockpit...but guys need to understand why some things go on here. maybe it might help quell the dramas rather than just stamping out policies...thats all.

did you even read my post matt?

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

David, did you even read my post???????

David did you even read my policy in my above post????????

David did you even read the sites agreement when you registered?????

David did you even read our mission statement?????

Mission Statement
    Our mission is to promote global advancement and enthusiasm of flight simulation through collaborative sharing of knowledge, ideas, and product development by amateur builders to maintain flight-sim building as an enjoyable hobby.

What part don't you get???????

Matt O.

500+ This must be a daytime job mauriceb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post

What part don't you get???????

Matt O.
    I think he didn't get the 'donkey dung' part. Kangaroo dung would have probably been more relevant instead

Maurice

Tracy Hale
    Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    I think he didn't get the 'donkey dung' part. Kangaroo dung would have probably been more relevant instead

Maurice
    There's a lot of animals flying around here ....donkey, kangaroo....

150+ Forum Groupie

Just let me say a few words about this, since I actually know a LOT about this subject. I ran a hardware review website for several years. And I pissed off a few manufacturers and vendors a few times, but they came to their senses when I told them this:
    "I do NOT intend to sing hail and praises for a product if it doesn't deserve it. If you make something that you should've spent more time on in the design process, then it's your loss. I tell the simple truth, whether you like it or not."

The result of that was that every single manufacturer got respect for me, and in a lot of cases they improved their product based on my reviews. The key to this was that I told them what I thought. Once. If they didn't fix the problem, I would point that out the next time. Eventually, the message got through. Who knew that a insignificant dude like me could get companies like Corsair, Abit, Lian-Li, Sunbeam and Cheiftech to listen to me?

This site has a lot of advertisements. Fine by me! As long as Matt doesn't include ads for "exotic" websites, or any other irrelevant thingamabobs, I am actually happy that the different manufacturers show their stuff here! And if Matt get enough to cover the costs of running this site, that's even greater!
    It takes time and money to run a site like this. And I would expect Matt to pay out of his own wallet for some years, while expanding the site and letting it grow. I hope he will end up making some money on the site, because I know what it means running a commercial website.

As long as Matt and his staff doesn't delete any negative comments about the advertisers just because he want to protect them, everything is fine. I certainly do not want to read the same story over and over and over again. The exception would be for those morons out there that are trying to fraud us.

This playground belongs to the owner of the site. The owner can make his or her own rules, and if we want to play here we better follow them. This is not a democracy. We do not have freedom of speech in here (besides, there's a quite distinct difference between the right to speak your mind and you thinking there's a demand for it!).

That being said: Matt, I don't think you should delete this thread. That could be recognized as censorship. Which is a very bad thing to do! The intention may very well be good, but the result won't. Trust me on this one!

Matt, if you find my post to be of any value - simply close the thread. I think we've said what needs to be said now.

Finally, let me give a few advice if you get stuck with a vendor/manufacrurer:
    1. Be polite. Nobody wants to help you if you are a bulley!
    2. Present your case to the manufacturer/vendor, and ask for their help.
    3. If they won't help you, send another email where you repeat your demands and that they try to cooperate. If not, "I don't see any other way than go public with this".
    4. If that doesn't work, tell us. Once. One thread.
    5. If they still doesn't want to cooperate, don't do business with them again.
    6. Accept that other people might have a totally different view on the manufacturer/vendor. You might have had bad luck.

I had a very negative view on Cockpitsonic. There was some sand in the machinery, and I really did not like the products I got. Therefore I don't do business with Cockpitsonic. Simple as that. BUT - and be sure to get this - I've seen images and heard stories afterwards that got me thinkin' "maybe Cockpitsonic and I just had bad luck". I do not hold that against them, since I've heard a lot of stories that tells me different than my experience. There's two sides of any stories. Try to see both.
    I should mention that I never had any arguments with Cockpitsonic back then. And I do not tell people not to do business with them! I've told this story once before, and I won't do it again after this. No need to.

Let me finish my pile of cents here with this thought:

I am here to discuss a hobby. I have a hobby for recreational purposes. I love playing around with my simulator and all the gizmos and doohickeys that follows. Simply put: I want to have a good time. I DON'T accept that people ruin this for me by being negative and trying to argue!

On the other hand, If I should find out that someone censor posts because they try to defend the advertisers, all I can say is: grow a back! This website does not deserve its name if that should ever happen.
    But I don't think it will. Not if Matt and his goodfellas have been honest about their intentions and statements.

Anyway, enough crap from me. Let me finish this post with an image I hope you guys will find motivating:

This is an image from the first time I ever lighted up my annunciators on my overhead. I just sat there, watching the orangish lights for half an hour. Just taking it all in. THIS WAS WHAT I'VE BEEN WORKING FOR!

Can you remember the first time you almost wet your pants over something similar?

No go fetch some tools and do some SIMBUILDING!

Have a great week, folks! Thank you for letting me share my hobby with you, and thank you for all the help, resources and ideas you've put into this!
    YOU MAKE MY DREAMS COME TRUE!

Sincerely and humbly yours,
    Vidar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast