Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Is there an XML gauge programmer looking for a "project"?

.......... that can be installed in my aircraft's panel to add an important function that is not available to me at the moment. If any of you XML gauge gurus out there have a some spare time to kill and are willing to tackle it....... I imagine that THIS project would be effective at killing some of it. I know I certainly would appreciate the efforts.

Unfortunately I know "diddly" about XML gauge programming.....and have all my time and my hands tied up with learning all the hardware interfacing that comes with simpit building.

The aircraft I fly (mainly) is a four engine jet....a BAe 146-200. This aircraft also has an APU that powers all the systems before engine start. That is the problematic "fifth engine" that MS FS2004 does not directly support. (Wouldn't you think that situation was common enough that THEY would have thought of it? )

Courtesy of the very generous Martyn Becker (THANK YOU!!!! ) I now have an XML gauge setup that adds the visual exhaust plume from the APU and the APU spool up, run, and spool down sounds. I also created the APU fuel pump , starter, and generator run switches, logic, and annunciators for the overhead panel in a sort of a "hardware solution" in the pit. So now, when I flip the "APU Start" switch on the overhead after configuring the electrical power and fuel supplies correctly, I hear the APU start and if I go to the exterior view of the plane, I see the exhaust plume start up. NICE!

At the moment in the "physical pit" (not reflected in the sim itself), I have SOME of the electrical functions of SOME of the APU generator running emulated in the physical simpit wiring. But that is a rather bogus and half-done solution to the whole problem.

The missing thing that I REALLY need now is the ability to have an invisible gauge (no actual panel visual presence needed) that adds the actual EFFECT of the APU generator being turned on into the FS2004 sim. It needs to cause the batteries to recharge as if a main engine generator was running and to supply the appropriate amperage and voltage levels to the simulated FS2004 electrical buss.

At the moment, I am having to use the "battery always available" dodge in order to sit at the gate and do a realistic pre-flight...... since setting up the simpit is just about as complicated as setting up a real aircraft. Takes a while.

This "APU Electrical Supply" gauge needs to be activated by an assignable keypress, not by a mouse click on a simulated screen gauge on a LCD or CRT screen. There ARE no simulated gauges on screens to click on; all is physical 3-D "real fake" stuff.

One other piece of information that might be helpful is that I run a registered payware version of FSUIPC. So the use of sending "keypress to offsets" is possible, if necessary.

BTW...... I have the specs on the generator in the real BAe APU......but I'll take ANY possibility of making this work even if it is not fully "realistic" in the amps / volts and so on.

I'd certainly appreciate it if anyone is willing to tackle this likely thorny problem. And there are many OTHER simpit builders who I am SURE would be equally appreciative. I am not even sure if it is "doable" at all.

best,

.......................john

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Microsoft might have thought of the APU, and if they did, they also probably thought that 98%+ customers never would.

Wish I could help you and me both. My APU works fine, but I have a problem with one of the AP axes that no one can help with either. Not even the developer.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

150+ Forum Groupie

Have you checked out this Bae 146 ? It has a fully working GPU .

If you haven't seen it yet,, it could be interesting to you.

http://www.baepanelproject.com/

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Thanks for the reference on the BAe Panel Project. Unfortunately I am WELL aware of that panel and that site.......and have been discussing with Matthias on his forum about making the systems available "externally" to simpit builders.

Unfortunately, he has not yet pursued any real significant hardware control options into his code.

Otherwise that aircraft panel (the new version 4.0 one) is pretty much a "systems trainer". He's got is at about 99% accurate.

But all those fancy systrems are only available by displaying panels on screen and by using mouse clicks. Sigh.

best,

................john

150+ Forum Groupie

If he has only mouse clicks , not keypresses coded into his gauges,, could you not use FsPanelstudio to add some keypresses to the gauges, then use Fsuipc to bind those to real switches??

I would have to do some checking but I thought there was a program that could turn mouse clicks to key presses,,, or was that the other way around ? " key to mouse" or something like that??

Anyway,, I'm just thinking out loud again,, but,, you would think that there has to be a way to use a nice ,,accurate panel like that to work with a sim ??

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

You have it right, "Key2 Mouse" or, K2M. But it doesn't work without having the monitor on which the panel was progeammed displayed.

This program has been around for a long time, but I dont think it was intended to be used as a lot of cockpit builders are wanting to use it. I.E., without having a monitor display of the panel you are trying to control. When this first came out, there was only a handfull of cockpit builders, and I don't thinkg anyone had a full-blown cockpit shell in their garage yet.

What's the use of having hardware with this solution? But I digress, I've had this conversation too many times.

A solution is to have a hidden monitor somewhere and call it up with a keystroke and displayed out of sight while flying. Another resource wasted.

It is a great idea, and it does work, but not too realistic or resource conservative.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!