Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question To BE or NOT to BE ??

Hello everyone...

here is the BIG question....:

1) DLP or LCD or 3LCD projectors? Where are the differences?

2) 4:3 or 16:9 ? It is better a wide view?

3) What else is "must" for FS ouside view? (how many ansi lumens or contrast at minimum?)

Please have in mind that i will not install 3 projectors in the near feature, so i need one front projection view.

Thanks in advance...

Eddie

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hi Eddie.

If I were you, (depending on your room size) I would go with 3 DLP Projectors. Have a look at DNOISE's post, he has the ultimate setup.

I would run 4:3 and try to do all front projection.

Trev

Hello Trevor,

i admire many cockpits in this forum, of course i love to have a 3 projectors system, but.........
    .............. i don't have a very wide room for this and i don't want at this point to buy 3 projectors. I prefer to invest this amount to other cockpit's systems and needs, (like throttle, radios etc).
    Maybe in the feature......, after the first projector's retirement

NicD also made it in 2nd generation, so i have to go first to 1st generation, then to 2nd

Eddie

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hey Eddie,

I know exactly what you are saying. Good luck with that, and if you can get big enough LCD monitors, you could go that route too.

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by oal331 View Post
    Hello everyone...

here is the BIG question....:

1) DLP or LCD or 3LCD projectors? Where are the differences?

2) 4:3 or 16:9 ? It is better a wide view?

3) What else is "must" for FS ouside view? (how many ansi lumens or contrast at minimum?)

Please have in mind that i will not install 3 projectors in the near feature, so i need one front projection view.

Thanks in advance...

Eddie
    Eddie,

I just went though this nightmare decision too and I also agonized over the specs. I finally made the plunge and got 3 Optoma EP1691 (16:9 DLP at 1280X 768 native resolution).

All I can tell you is that I am thrilled I went with wide view. I only have room for the front projector currently and it is giving me an image almost 60" wide from a distance of 92 inches. The big image makes a world of difference.

So, my 2 cents...go with 16:9 wideview if you can swing it.

Maurice

Maurice,

thanks for reply and your feedback!!

It seems that 16:9 has many advantages, but what kind of video projector, DLP or 3LCD?
    I know that DLP have the "rainbow" problem.

What esle to look for? High contrast or more Ansi lumens?

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by oal331 View Post
    Maurice,

thanks for reply and your feedback!!

It seems that 16:9 has many advantages, but what kind of video projector, DLP or 3LCD?
    I know that DLP have the "rainbow" problem.

What esle to look for? High contrast or more Ansi lumens?

Eddie
    Eddie,

I was also worried about making the right choice because there are so many variables. From my experience, I think brightness is the more important thing, but even then, it depends on the brightness level in your sim room. If the room can be made dark, then brightness is not that big an issue. My projector is rated at 2400 Lumens and I use the lower lamp setting and I also turn down the brightness a bit as I find it is too bright when projected on a white surface (I know the screen should not be white). Even if the room is not totally dark, I find the brightness more than adequate for me, but that is only my opinion of course.

As far as contrast is concerned, you may want to read this very interesting article about it. It basically shows that a very high contrast ratio is not that important unless the room is in absolute total darkness.

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...ast-ratio.html

And as far as the rainbow problem is concerned, if there is a rainbow, I certainly can't see it, but some people apparently are more susceptible to it than others. Hard to tell unless you see it for yourself. But I'm more & more convinced this is no longer a real issue with the improved technology since most projectors being sold these days seem to be DLP projectors. If rainbow effect was still an issue, a lot of people would be returning the projectors to the stores and they would stop selling them I would think.

I have yet to read anywhere about someone having an issue with current DLP projectors (or LCDs for that matter). It seems that most people are happy with whatever they end up getting, or at least they convince themselves they made the right choice . I think there is a term for this...it's called cognitive dissonance. Basically, what it means in this case is that after you make the choice & buy whatever projector, you will invent all kind of reasons why you made the right choice even if your intuition tells you otherwise. That is maybe what I am doing now, but all I know is that I am very happy with my choice, even if I shouldn't be

I'm 100% sure I haven't helped you a bit here. Everything I read when I was deciding confused me even more because of so many choices & so many conflicting opinions . In the end, I picked something that looked reasonable and was on sale (very important when you buy 3)

Maurice

8. Thanks oal331 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    Eddie,
    I'm 100% sure I haven't helped you a bit here. Everything I read when I was deciding confused me even more because of so many choices & so many conflicting opinions . In the end, I picked something that looked reasonable and was on sale (very important when you buy 3)

Maurice
    Maurice,

Thanks a lot for spend your time to reply me, i can see what you mean.

I use to make a small research before buying, just to be sure after the purchase, that i bought the best item, according my needs and budget, jyst to feel happy !!

Have a nice weekend

Eddie