Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Yoke recommendations

Hi all

I am looking at potentially replacing my CH Flight Sim Yoke with something a little more solid. The current yoke would probably end up in the right seat of my light-twin sim.

Does anybody have any recommendation. I would probably have a budget of up to NZ$600 - about 450 or so US$.

I could almost afford PFC Cirrus Yoke for this money. Are they any good? Are there any competitors out there?

There`s also the Elite Yoke for what looks like a little less coinage than the PFC one.

I have the Saitek throttle quads and am pretty happy with them , however I`ve heard mixed opinions of the Saitek Yoke.

NB, please bear in mind that the outcome of this discussion will need to be signed off by the CFO, I mean the Mrs, so slick and compelling grovels gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

James
    CH Yoke
    CH Pedals
    2 Saitek TQ`s
    Opencockpits multiradio
    GF LGT + T8
    BU0386x and custom autopilot control panel
    Basic pedestal and mip for generic GA sim in progress..

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Yoke/control columns are not hard to build. You could purchase a real Boeing yoke with all switches and wired for under your dollar amount and have enough left over for material to build the column, mount, and electronics.

Have a look around here and if you don't see something, ask! http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/ Airline Pilot's Historical Society.

There's also a very nice yoke available by a member here, but there's nothing like the feel of a real yoke under your fingers. The heft, look, and feel of the Boeing yoke is hard to replicate.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi James,

For a light-twin sim you'd probably be looking at something like a Cessna or Beech yoke. For those dollars, the Hungarian manufacturer Routech make a very solid Cessna yoke, or PFC do really lovely Beech & Mooney yokes (at a premium though), but you can buy just the yoke without any mechanism if you build your own. The cheapest option for a Cessna yoke would be Simkits, although it is plastic and a bit flimsy (I know because I use one).

As for the Saitek yoke problems, I avoided those last year due to this, however I think they fixed the errant joystick problems from December. Check out their forums to find out.

Having said all that, the old CH yoke when removed, painted black and mounted on your own yoke system can come up a treat, and at very little cost!

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

I agree with Ken on the CH Yoke Product. I modified the heck out of mine by replacing the springs, extending the tube with 1/2" galvanized pipe , painting, and adding a trim wheel kit. It now feels much more like a light aircraft yoke.

Quote Originally Posted by ddimm View Post
    I agree with Ken on the CH Yoke Product. I modified the heck out of mine by replacing the springs, extending the tube with 1/2" galvanized pipe , painting, and adding a trim wheel kit. It now feels much more like a light aircraft yoke.
    That modification sounds interesting, Any chance of some pictures?

Damien

25+ Posting Member

Hi everyone and thanks for the feedback.

I`m really interested in the mods you done to the CH yoke, Ddimm, would you be able to post any more details? Basically the aileron axis pot has died on mine so if I could refurbish the electronics, soften the springs and add some damping I could be persuaded. Its worth a try as the alternative is replacement anyway.

I would prefer a panel mounted yoke rather than a floormount (airliner style) yoke. I`m slowly building a KingAir 200 sim so this would be more appropriate.

I will checkout the Routech offering - I`ve not heard of them before.

Anyone else with feedback on the PFC offerings? I am planning to get the yoke mechanism behind the panel so a fairly long 'tube' and quality bearings would be essential.

I suspect the bearings would be the problem with extending the CH yoke tube..?

Thanks everyone.

James

Quote Originally Posted by ddimm View Post
    CH Yoke
    CH Pedals
    2 Saitek TQ`s
    Opencockpits multiradio
    GF LGT + T8
    BU0386x and custom autopilot control panel
    Basic pedestal and mip for generic GA sim in progress..

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I'm afraid I mis-understood your post. i thought you had two sims, an airliner and a light twin and was replacing the airliner yoke with something more substantial. Then using the old yoke in the twin.

A column-mounted yoke certainly wouldn't be correct for a King Air.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!