Thread: PC12 Rebuild

Boeing 777 Builder

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

PC12 Rebuild

After almost being tempted over to the dark side and building a CRJ pit, I have decided to stay with my GA PC12 sim. The CRJ will come in the future however (perhaps 2 years!), so I just wanted to share with you a little update on the complete rebuild of my PC12 sim. After my RFDS build here in Aus I was inspired to update my own sim to come somewhat towards the one I built for them (I really didn't want to let it go!). So a new base, panel and yoke system is well underway. Complete pics and information are available on my website, but here are a few pics to bring to the GA builders forum.

Panel base is designed on a 737 from a comprehensive document available on Ian Sissons site. Gray panel is 6mm PVC and the MDF holds the monitors and offers extra rigidity. A full glare-shield will cap this off housing a GA style MCP and audio panel. Avionics controls will be mounted down the centre support pillars between the panel monitors just like that of the Next Gen PC12.

And my proudest achievement, a GA style dual yoke assembly. This was a difficult undertaking as there is very little information out their on how to make this telescopic style mechanism. I did find a site building a Baron 58 dual yoke but only after completing mine. It used the same drawer slide principle so I figured I was on the right track.

Although the feel is a bit heavy due to the combination of weight and incline, I hope that the springs countering the weight will give it a sense of damping that my other one never had. The springs are placed so it comes to rest at the elevator null zone and it has a 300mm (12") length of movement from full elevator up to full down. Only time will tell how well it works though.

Next is to attach the aileron pulley system and yoke handle. Then I have to start on the rudders!

Oh, and to run it all I have a new Quad core PC running FSX on Vista64.

Regards,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

25+ Posting Member

Smile Looking Great

Ken

great start Ken. Will be following your progress closely.

Looks Great.

Ken, your work looks great as always. Question, could you link directly to the MIP stand page you referred to, I searched Ian's site but could not find it. Thank you.

300+ Forum Addict

Looking very good Ken.

Like very much your dual yoke system there

Boeing 777 Builder

Here's the direct link to Ian's pdf giving comprehensive dimensions of the B737. I hope he doesn't mind me linking here, I've stolen so much from his site

And thanks for the comments guys. Ivar I wish I had your woodworking talents.

Ken
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

MyCockpit Support Staff

Good stuff Ken,

You are well and truly bitten by the bug now! I know exactly what you mean about handing over things you have built for customers, it is very hard to part with things that have taken so much work to create. I'm hoping for a test ride in the new beast when it finally breathes life!

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Gwyn,

Yeah letting go of those little beasties you've poured so much love and attention into can be quite hard. It also made me look at my current sim and see that I've got to upgrade in order to compete! So here we go again.

Cheers,

Ken.

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Hi Gwyn,

Yeah letting go of those little beasties you've poured so much love and attention into can be quite hard. It also made me look at my current sim and see that I've got to upgrade in order to compete! So here we go again.

Cheers,

Ken.
    Me too, as soon as I've finished all of my customer's Airbus TQs I'm building a new B737 TQ for my sim. I just want to upgrade the 'replica' aspect to suit the rest of the sim. I think I have already pre sold the old TQ as soon as it is available. I've made the handles for the new one so that's a start I suppose!

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Ken,

How about some nice closeup pix of that yoke system? It looks very different from what I have.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Boeing 777 Builder

Andy,

Here's a LINK to my website with more indepth pics. I have to say that it is still yet to be proven as I am a little dubious about the weight of it. I don't want to feel like I'm flying a DC3! Just like life, it is a work in progress.

Ken.