Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cockpits in Motion

Hi Guys,
    I fly my aircraft as most do with the PC monitor and thats about as virtual as it gets... But the idea of having a full or even partial cockpit has always been something that seemed either way out of pocket or the need for a massive space.

With the arrival of motion seats on the market do you think they give better value than the full cockpit mock up or as with most things is it just a matter of taste?

Of course with a lottery win we could all buy the full motion base and cockpit all in one, but being realistic, where do you see the most enjoyment of the flight sim for someone tinkering with the idea of making the game just a little more interesting?

Cheers
    John

http://www.astraboy.com/

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

I don't think of it as a game. A game is something you strive to win, with points, or objectives.

FS is a simulation. Therefore, the most enjoyment I get from the simulation is having a simulator that mimics as close as possible, at least visually, if not operationally, the real aircraft that the simulator models.

My simulator falls far short in these areas many respects, however, I still get much enjoyment and immersion in what little I've done so far. I'll probably never have a full shell, nor even a first officer's side in my sim, but it mostly gets the job done.

This simulation is more than flying from point A to point B. It's how you go about getting there that is half the fun. Planning and performance is a big part of how some, including myself, run the simulation. There's more to it than just jumping in and taking off.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Hi

I agree with what Mike (BSW) said...

But to add to it, you must remember that having some motion sensation via a seat and then the desk/monitor is still being operated with a mouse and keyboard. The first time you have an item in the simulated aircraft operate via a switch, button, or lever that you installed, it's awesome, and beats the mouse/keyboard to pieces. It only gets better once you have many to all of the switches in the rigt place right in front of you in full scale. I love desktop simming still, but I can tell you since I had to dismantle the Learjet (full size) 45 sim to move to the new place (that's not quite ready yet) I have STILL not set up my old desktop PC sim since I know it's not the same. Yes, it's fun and I used that for years, but I'd rather use the time I'd use on my desktop sim to do other stuff for now till the full size sim is set up again, this time with a full shell too.

Just my thoughts! Desktop simming with a tactile chair is better than no simming at all, I did it for years! Just cant beat the full size sim though if you have the money, time, and space for it.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Thumbs up

I had a nice cockpit going, A 3/4 Cessna with a motion base and 3 monitors. I LOVED IT! Then we moved and went from very little room to just enough to change your mind in. My sim is in storage and I'm building a mini-sim for my desktop now. Something that does not take up room away from the regular stuff I have to do for work. (And it can't freak my wife out either.)

While I miss my full sim, I still love my desktop because its all I have!
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/