Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

sorry one other thing

Is DLP or LCD projectors better for this setup, i know that DLP have a higher refresh rate for stereoscopic 3d, but dual LCD's for stereo 3d can be just as good in passive setup.

Edit: wow you answer really quickly, i thought it would be at least a few hours, i just write that last thing above, and then bang you've answered my other questions, thanks so much. Juts hope you can answer that last one about LCD or DLP. much thanks for everything.

I wrote

As i plan on making one seamless cockpit canopy with no borders. You know on a harriers cockpit, you have like window panes. Like the window is separated by the metal frames where the glass fits into. So you have one glass and then one in front and another to the right. Well maybe a harrier is not quite like that but other fighter planes are. Well what i am having a hard time understanding is when you use the 3 projectors to beam onto the canopy then wouldn't each flight sims plane being chosen within the game have to be reconfigured using sol7?

You wrote

I have absolutely no idea what your talking about, however SOL7 is configured and run under the windows environment if I am not mistaken, so anything that is displayed on that computer whether it be windows, internet explorer, or a racing game, it will conform to the warping by sol7

What i meant by that post, was as say a flight sim like Lock On, as they have different planes to choose from and each plane has a different cockpit, when you use sol7 to warp what is being seen in that game onto the canopy, as the canopys dimensions are different to the games plane cockpit each plane would look messed up on the canopy, wouldn't you agree? Even with all the warping you did the eye perception wouldn't be right and it would confuse your brain.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simfloppy View Post
    sorry one other thing

Is DLP or LCD projectors better for this setup, i know that DLP have a higher refresh rate for stereoscopic 3d, but dual LCD's for stereo 3d can be just as good in passive setup.

I would go the DLP route, but you need something with a fast color wheel.

Edit: wow you answer really quickly, i thought it would be at least a few hours, i just write that last thing above, and then bang you've answered my other questions, thanks so much. Juts hope you can answer that last one about LCD or DLP. much thanks for everything.

I wrote

As i plan on making one seamless cockpit canopy with no borders. You know on a harriers cockpit, you have like window panes. Like the window is separated by the metal frames where the glass fits into. So you have one glass and then one in front and another to the right. Well maybe a harrier is not quite like that but other fighter planes are. Well what i am having a hard time understanding is when you use the 3 projectors to beam onto the canopy then wouldn't each flight sims plane being chosen within the game have to be reconfigured using sol7?

You wrote

I have absolutely no idea what your talking about, however SOL7 is configured and run under the windows environment if I am not mistaken, so anything that is displayed on that computer whether it be windows, internet explorer, or a racing game, it will conform to the warping by sol7

What i meant by that post, was as say a flight sim like Lock On, as they have different planes to choose from and each plane has a different cockpit, when you use sol7 to warp what is being seen in that game onto the canopy, as the canopys dimensions are different to the games plane cockpit each plane would look messed up on the canopy, wouldn't you agree? Even with all the warping you did the eye perception wouldn't be right and it would confuse your brain.

When your talking other cockpit's you mean your looking to display the cockpit images onto the glass, or just pure sky and clouds?

If your talking other airplane cockpits, this isn't going to work. the idea of something like this is to provide you the outside world. you have to build the cockpit and inside world.

Trev

10+ Posting Member

I didn't know that, my thoughts were that i could build the cockpit but have part of the games cockpit in my front view to give me some extra immersion of being in different fighter jets, other wise i would have to then build a different flight cockpit for different planes. Well somethings gotta give i guess.

Well if you want total immersion, your going to have to build the cockpit. Thats why we all spend hundred of hours or years even researching the aircraft we love.

25+ Posting Member

I believe what you are trying to achieve would be great , but there are other variables to take into consideration with this type of a project. If the Sim is placed in a tight room , 3 projectors going , computers going , and your inside a closed canopy cockpit , your going to heat up fast , unless you have dedicated AC directly to your cockpit. If you run 3 projectors in say a 10x10 room , with each wall as a dedicated view , in an open cockpit (something like a viper-pit sim) , i think you will get the same feel of immersion if you were in a closed canopy.

6. Thanks Trevor Hale thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Trevor I admire your patience.
    Bill
    Last edited by Holclo; 03-26-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: mispelling

8. Thanks Trevor Hale thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Here is another site with different layouts , note that most commercial level fighter aircraft sims do not use closed canopy. click on images :

www.link.com/gallery/images1.html

Nice Link.. Shows a good representation..

25+ Posting Member

Here is a real nice example of a closed cockpit with projector visuals:

See attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Thanks Padraig thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

wow guys, thanks for all the replies

Fairford that closed cockpit is really good, but i have been searching the net still for a closed cockpit where the canopy has visuals beamed directly onto it, if you can find a link can you please post.

Right now, i have been looking at some cockpits to buy, I took a look at the aimsworth F-16 viper 1 which costs $3200 with seat or $800 for the viper 2 without seat and $1400 with seat. You know of any better ones for similar price?

Thanks for that gallery link you gave me, it sure does have some amazing simulators.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast