Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Help for multi-monitor setup

If You are going to build multi-monitor setup here you will get help!
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/guide/

Regards

Timo

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

imho, http://www.widescreengamingforum.com is the most complete source for multi-monitor questions. While the link above is ok, some of the information is outdated and inaccurate.

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi,

This question has probably been asked before, but here goes anyway as I'm not sure just what can be done. I'm thinking of using a TH2GO and three 22" or 24" widescreen monitors for the outside views. If I use widescreen monitors, will the image get stretched or will it appear "normal?" If it will appear stretched is there a way to resize the images so that they do not appear stretched, and add a further window to either side - something like an O/H panel?

I don't have the room for a projector so I'm looking at ways to have a larger outside view. I have also though of using a 27" single monitor as that would give me a larger view and cost less than the TH2GO and 3 monitors.

Any thoughts about a larger image would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

A lot will depend on what cockpit setup you have and how close you are to the monitors.
    I have tried a single large LCD monitor (37 inch), the picture was "stretched" which was acceptable for visual flying 2000 feet and above altitude but below, and on the ground, the images were unreal.
    I am now running three 19 inch LCDs mounted on a common stand connected through the Matrox triplehead DIGITAL version and am totally enamoured with the results.
    The two outside monitors are angled about 15 degrees to the center monitor and the reason I emphasized DIGITAL Matrox is that this system has a bezel management control (The VGA version does'nt) which allows one to adjust the "outside monitor images" exactly to compensate for the monitor frame gaps.
    This gives my B737 cockpit a 3D viewing impression of the scenery, particularily impressive while taxiing, of one view broken by two window posts, all with perfect resolution!

Roy

2x3togo???

Quote Originally Posted by roymar View Post
    A lot will depend on what cockpit setup you have and how close you are to the monitors.
    I have tried a single large LCD monitor (37 inch), the picture was "stretched" which was acceptable for visual flying 2000 feet and above altitude but below, and on the ground, the images were unreal.
    I am now running three 19 inch LCDs mounted on a common stand connected through the Matrox triplehead DIGITAL version and am totally enamoured with the results.
    The two outside monitors are angled about 15 degrees to the center monitor and the reason I emphasized DIGITAL Matrox is that this system has a bezel management control (The VGA version does'nt) which allows one to adjust the "outside monitor images" exactly to compensate for the monitor frame gaps.
    This gives my B737 cockpit a 3D viewing impression of the scenery, particularily impressive while taxiing, of one view broken by two window posts, all with perfect resolution!

Roy
    Hi.

I have asked elsewhere in the forum, but wondered if you had considered 2x3togo units from one powerfull graphics card? this would then allow side views as well! Alternatively. what about 1x3togo (front view) plus 1x2togo (side views?)

TONY

Quote Originally Posted by mounty View Post
    Hi,

This question has probably been asked before, but here goes anyway as I'm not sure just what can be done. I'm thinking of using a TH2GO and three 22" or 24" widescreen monitors for the outside views. If I use widescreen monitors, will the image get stretched or will it appear "normal?" If it will appear stretched is there a way to resize the images so that they do not appear stretched, and add a further window to either side - something like an O/H panel?

I don't have the room for a projector so I'm looking at ways to have a larger outside view. I have also though of using a 27" single monitor as that would give me a larger view and cost less than the TH2GO and 3 monitors.

Any thoughts about a larger image would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
    Keep in mind that you're losing a ton of pixels going 3 24" and TH2G. TH2G maxes out at 3840x1024, but using widescreen you'd have to use 3840x768. Considering 24" and larger screens push 1920(x3)x1200 I would not suggest 24" + TH2G unless you are willing to not reach the full native resolution of the monitors.

Everyone has room for a projector if it's short throw or uses mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
    Hi.

I have asked elsewhere in the forum, but wondered if you had considered 2x3togo units from one powerfull graphics card? this would then allow side views as well! Alternatively. what about 1x3togo (front view) plus 1x2togo (side views?)

TONY
    In the case of MSFS I'd suggest a second video card over adding a DH2G box to that configuration. It would stress the first video card less and achieve the same outcome with better FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    In the case of MSFS I'd suggest a second video card over adding a DH2G box to that configuration. It would stress the first video card less and achieve the same outcome with better FPS.
    Sorry to go on about it, but for outside views, would I need a powerful PCI card as the extra card? I have tried using 32 and 64mg PCI cards, but the main front view loses frame rates when the extra side view is dragged onto a monitor? Can you suggest a suitable card? I am also using Matrox 4 head for my instruments.

TONY

Sorry to go on about it, but for outside views, would I need a powerful PCI card as the extra card? I have tried using 32 and 64mg PCI cards, but the main front view loses frame rates when the extra side view is dragged onto a monitor? Can you suggest a suitable card? I am also using Matrox 4 head for my instruments.

TONY
    I was for granted that you'd be using a PCIe motherboard with more than 1 PCIe 16x slot. Any use of old PCI cards for external views are going to be limited because they simply can't handle the frame rates needed. To go multi-monitor beyond 3 displays, you really need to look into getting a SLI motherboard or something like one with multiple PCIe 16x slots.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hi.

TONY
    Hi Tony,

I don't think anyone here has found a need to go this route, You should email Matrox and see what they have to say about this.

Trev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast