10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

rotary encoders, FSUIPC

Hello all

I've fitted a rotary encoder too my yoke box to control the heading bug. it works fine but the trouble is it takes forever and a whole lotta turns too adjust the heading bug. Trouble is as you turn the encoder faster the pulses get narrower and narrower and FSX cant keep up with them and the heading bug actually starts moving slower. Has anyone got any solutions too fix this? prehaps sumone knows a way too program FSUIPC so that when u turn the encoder fast it sends the "increase heading bug quickly" command and when u turn it slow it sends the normal "increase heading bug" command. Any ideas anyone?

300+ Forum Addict

A few years ago someone in the Orbiter forum built a micro controller based circuit that buffered the rotary encoder output so that it wouldn't outrun the circuit it was connected to. That's one possibility.

Another approach is to use the speed with which the encoder is turning to decide the step size the bug is incremented with. Turn it slowly and you nudge the bug in the smallest steps. Turn it faster than some threshold and the bug gets shoved in 10X steps. I've used this approach when setting a simulated DG.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a simple solution to your question. Both of the above require adding a bit of local processing to the encoder.

Rotary Encoders and FSUIPC

Like Mike confirmed, your hardware will need to do some local interpretation to determine rotation speed. I use EPIC and have a few built-in routines that detect rotary speed, which is not a function of FSUIPC.

(If you have a dual encoder, that might work well....)