Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Also, if youu were to buy something like the MCp that requires some sort of power adapter, obviously, you will need to get a UK version for the power adapter. However USB is USB no matter what side of the planet your on

James

Check this out on eBay (he's in France) .... he's selling other modules too:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Go-Flight-GF-166-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQsassZledjstyle

Regards,
    Henry

150+ Forum Groupie

If you really into building a cockpit, I would certainly reccomend a set of instruments from simkits. They offer all the instruments you need. This is the closest you will get to the real C152 instruments.

By the way, here is my favorite :

http://www.nzvc.be/upload/image/Vloot/OO-NZA2.jpg
    [

25+ Posting Member

Wicked, added all of them to my watch list! Thanks Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by andarlite View Post
    James

Check this out on eBay (he's in France) .... he's selling other modules too:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Go-Flight-GF-166-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQsassZledjstyle

Regards,
    Henry

300+ Forum Addict

Only one PCI-E slot

Jimmy,

On your computer you say that you only got one PCI-e slot, so is the video card a dual head card? Meaning two monitors to one card? Does this computer have any other slots, like PCI or AGP?

If you have any other slots at all, you could get a cheaper PCI single video monitor card and thereby, giving yourself three monitors...

I use Go-Flight items; I use two GF166A's for NAV 1&2 and Com 1&2. They work great and are easy to setup, but you have the cost for them. Really though, you will not be changing them that much in a C150, where the third monitor could put the radio stack on a monitor screen and you just use the mouse to change frequencies for now.

Later when you do buy the GoFlight items you could use the third monitor to show another aspect of the cockpit... Especially, since you're just starting. out, so start cheap. Cheap video card $50-$70 or GoFlight $300-$600 (depending on where you buy them).

Good luck,

J.

150+ Forum Groupie

I have successfully bought GoFlight items from the UK distributor RCSimulations.com, from one of the US suppliers, and from ebay.

RCSimulations good service and support if there are any problems.

US supplier: cheap, but you have to factor in air post cost, customs duty (small), VAT, and customs clearance handling charge (can be £20) by whoever makes the final delivery. And the hassle of returning any faulty goods to the States at your cost doesn't bear thinking about

Ebay can save you some money, but GoFlight items are rare on Ebay and competition is fierce - I saved a bit on the US price, but not much.

Good luck!

--
    Bryn

25+ Posting Member

God guys, you could've warned me that this hobby burnt such a large hole in the wallet! I asked Mr GoFlight for advice on what products would be best for recreating a 152, and he recommended 2 x GF-166, an RP-48 and a rack! Needless to say that now these are purchased I am already considering other modules that I might need! The GF-T8, GF-46 and GF-LGT are already on the radar!

Can someone cut off my typing/payment submitting fingers please?!

25+ Posting Member

Guys I've just come across these:

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Produc...1010/index.htm

Anyone got any experience of them, and whether they can be used alongside Goflight products? They look as though they'd make a nice addition to my set up...how many USB ports would it take up?

300+ Forum Addict

Here is where the insanity starts...

Jimmy,

Looking at this box and my first thoughts are, it seems nice for the price and it's all complete in a sense. However, you say you're buying GoFlight and now thinking about more GoFlight items.

I used to have just about all the GoFlight Modules before I moved up to using FDS Panels and hardware. So, I can tell you that G0Flight is easy to use and is basically the same thing as this desktop aviator box.

My point is, when you start mixing items you are liable to get conflicts with FS9 or FSX, the Computer Hardware, the USB port numbers or many other variables. Thus, you would be safer to stick with GoFlight or...there is always an or.

You can get into FSUIPC software from Peter Dowson and buy your own switches, buttons, toggles, etc and make things yourself. Since you're doing a Cessna at your desktop and not building a replica cockpit yet (notice I said yet). It be best just to stick with one brand for now.

j.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGerrard View Post
    Guys I've just come across these:

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Produc...1010/index.htm

Anyone got any experience of them, and whether they can be used alongside Goflight products? They look as though they'd make a nice addition to my set up...how many USB ports would it take up?
    I have one of these, and I am very happy with it. It uses 1 usb port, and is based on a joystick USB interface. See my profile for pic of it removed from the box and installed in my panel (to the right).

Edit: Pic: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/albu...5&pictureid=26

Couple of points with it, make sure you get the one with all the switch points for the magneto's if you want to run checklists. See: NEW Model INTRODUCTION! The Model 1010B

I missed this one by a couple of weeks. Also this is a ligit company and will fill out customs forms properly, so expect to pickup a small import charge in the UK. It cost me more in the admin fee than import duty, so group a few things together if you want more than 1 item from them.

The switches use 1 channel each, not 2. So the software (FSUIPC) cant tell the position the switch is in. When you move the switch a quick pulse on the joystick button is sent. So you need to ensure the switches are in the right position when you load your plane or they can work reversed.

In practice this is not an issue, and its easy to correct by clicking on the switch in the Virtual Cockpit if its showing different to the 'physical' switch.

I also have Go Flight modules, but must admit to have not yet got round to installing them in the new cockpit so never ran them together. Cant see it being an issue as windows just sees this as a joystick with buttons.
    Last edited by magicaldr; 03-20-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Trying to add picture

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast