Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hello everybody

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Very nice work! I like it!!! You designed the mechanism?
    Bob Reed

10+ Posting Member

thanks for the input Gwyn, I thought it would feel something like that. WHen you say fingertip movement; are u actually moving the stick in and out side too side; or is more just a case of applying pressure to the stick? I guess what would be ideal is full force feedback motors connected too it too replace the springs, that way the spring force could vary acording too airspeed. That however is far beyond my capability. Mabe when Leo Bodner (the creator of the interface card i used) completes his force feed back interface i might give it a try, but i think thats a long way off and would mean trying too fit motors inside the already packed box! Would be good too do tho.

10+ Posting Member

Yes basically the mechanism is my own design, although it is based on a lot of other people's ideas. The springs i believe are a similar design too simkits yoke. the timing belt and pully's were completly my idea as was using linear bearings and precision round rails. The main reason for this is it makes for a much more solid and smooth feel compared too nylon or whatever; very expensive tho, if i remember right the bearins, rails and shaft support cost nearly £80 ($150ish) theyre designed for CNC routers so as you can imagine are very robust and sturdy. I used the belt and pully's because i thought the con rod method (which i believe is used in CH yokes) would have a noticable amount of play and slop resulting in a slight 'dead zone' the way i done it completly illiminates any dead zone, and just slight pressure is enuf too change the output. Again another expensive method tho, the pullys cost around £8 ($15ish) each! and the belt was nearly a fiver ($10). All in all it has been very expensive, but a lot of that was due too experimenting with parts, and buying different sizes etc; the results are well worth it tho in my opinion.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

truly Brilliant.

I think you have done a wonderful Job.

thanks for sharing it with us.

I am sure there are quite a number of builders that would like to start here, same as you did.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level Matthijs Borgdorff's Avatar

A very nice piece of kit you built there good sir!
    And like you said, portable.
    Put your simulation pits on display on www.thewayiplay.com

Link to my rig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12