Thread: RFDS Flight Sim

Boeing 777 Builder

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

RFDS Flight Sim

Hi Guys,

Been out of action forum-wise for a while as I received an unexpected phone call late last year asking me to build a PC12 simulator for the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Central Australia. Challenge accepted, quote accepted and building commenced. Didn't really know how I was going to do it, but that's never stopped me and, as I was intending to rebuild my own anyway, this was a great opportunity to test it out..... and get paid for it!

Anyway 3 weeks of mad construction, then posting it all 3000km away and then flying to Alice Springs (would you believe) to install and commission it.

I've just got back and glad to say all went well. It's running FSX in Kiosk mode for visitors to play on (no it's not for the pilots, they get plenty of real flying, but I'm told they've all had a go!) and has 4 planes loaded. I designed some simple missions using FSX's mission builder (crash course in that too) and they have 10 flights to choose from with varying aircraft and weather condition and at varying airstrips around Central Australia.

If you're interested have a look at my website for details http://www.kennair.com.au/rfds_sim.html, but I just wanted to share this with you all as you just never know where this crazy hobby will lead you.

Regards,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Ken, that's an excellent approach you've taken there. Sometimes, we just all think way too complicated and forget that you can achieve good results with simply cutting back, and using innovative measures to meet the needs. I would have probably tried to have dual working yokes! I see here that would NOT be a good idea, so kudos to you my friend- what a great job and thanks for sharing.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Very nice job overall, and a great job at integrating the CH yokes into the panel.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

MyCockpit Support Staff

Looks great Ken, well done.

When would you like to come over again? The new yokes and side curtains are a major improvement on what you saw last time.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Boeing 777 Builder

Thanks guys,

The CH yokes were highly modified both physically and electrically in order to connect the custom made throttles and gear lever and to neatly integrate them into the panel. This was simply a matter of getting into the wiring and bringing out the relevant axis and switches to a couple of DB9 connectors. Warranty, what warranty? No longer exists, but these are tough yokes. I had initially ordered the new Saitek yoke and pedals, but then I heard about all the problems they've had with uncommanded switches etc. , needless to say I cancelled the order. I didn't need that sort of headache after installation.

Simplicity was paramount with this sim as it was to be used by the general public. This was a particular challenge as you know due to the fact that both FSX and addon aircraft are designed with a high degree of realism, translating to complexity. All well and good for you and I, but not for Josephine public who doesn't know a Yoke from a Throttle. I saw a number of issues with the first few users; first a 50+ English lady who didn't know to pull back on the yoke to takeoff, and second from a 6 year old girl who kept driving her dad nuts by continually cycling thru outside views while trying to land a King Air in windy conditions. It's fortunate they can only fly for 5 minutes!

Gwyn, I'll make a date soon to come and see you. Just need to recover from the last month and get my house in order again.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

MyCockpit Support Staff

Gwyn, I'll make a date soon to come and see you. Just need to recover from the last month and get my house in order again.

Ken.[/quote]

Looking forward to it...

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Congrats on the project Kennair, Looks very impressive and about the Saitek flight yoke, you also have made the right call, because I have one and that ghost button does happen indeed ! but its fixed now.