Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Next step software wise ?

May i just say before i start i've had this dream of building a replica flight simulator for about a year now ever since stumbling across some home builds on Youtube, i really didnt think i had the abilty to even match some of those guys but since finding this forum my fire has been lit and im raring to go, you guys really have a level of patience i've not come across before .........on VATSIM most replies consist of 'search the forum' or 'you n00b its like this' etc etc but you guys really seem to take your time to help and trust me your gonna have your work cut out with me, i have the fire just not the brain power but im willing to learn and will share my experiences with the next 'noob' to find us (can i say us ? ive only been here a week yet i 'feel' a part of this community already)

Ok guys so this is where im at so far......
    I have the complete Saitek Proflight System
    I have a home network with up to 4 connections possible (not wireless)
    I have 1 PC (Pentium D 2.8 - 4gb RAM - Radeon x1950pro 512mb AGP gfx)
    I have 3 monitors (2x17" CRT + 1x19" CRT) - will upgrade to LCD asap though
    I have FS2004 (and FSX but hey i need a new pute for that!)
    I have the PMDG 737ng (and PMDG 747-400)
    I have NOT registered FSUIPC

So whats the next step ?

Looking back im assuming register FSUIPC then purchase Project Magenta?
    But what about Wideview, WideFS or anything else i need software wise ????

I would appreciate some help on this my friends as i would rather get the software side sorted before i start buying MIPS CDU's and MCP's...

Oh and how much is Project Magenta? ive been to their website but they just say that it went up in Jan 2007 and that was year ago........

Mark

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hi Mark,

May I say welcome to the group. You are more then welcome to say "US" we are all essentially a big family here.

Your right, the first thing you MUST do is Register FSUIPC, & Wide Client (by registering both at the same time you get a discount.)

Full stop.

Next you need to decide what Aircraft and choose a flight model. You need to decide what route your going to take... Airbus/Boeing/Other.

Based on that decision, you can move forward with Project Magenta or other software.

(IE. If your going to go 737.. You will want to buy the PMDG Model next) followed by Project Magenta. I know you have the PMDG but is that the right aircraft for you. and is that the platform you want to go with.

If your going to go airbus, you will need to choose a flight model and then choose AST, or PM.

Basically my advice for you is spend the appropriate amount of time choosing the right aircraft.

Many new people rush in, and spend all the money just to find after the fact that they choose the wrong aircraft.

Either way, we are here for you every step of the way.

I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Best regards,

Trevor Hale
    Mycockpit.org Admin

Before rushing out to buy software you might really want to decide on the type of sim you want to build. As i have said in the past on another post I made a mistake in getting some software before really deciding on what type of sim to build and now that i have spent the money on the software it is hard for me to go out and buy the software i should have baught in the first place. Along those same lines when deciding the type of sim to build look at how much space you have for that type of sim. I hope this helps in you quest to fulfill your dream.
    Mike G.

Thanks very much for you reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Hi Mark,

May I say welcome to the group. You are more then welcome to say "US" we are all essentially a big family here.

Thank you

Your right, the first thing you MUST do is Register FSUIPC, & Wide Client (by registering both at the same time you get a discount.)

Will do thanks

Next you need to decide what Aircraft and choose a flight model. You need to decide what route your going to take... Airbus/Boeing/Other.

I really want it to be the 747 (my favourite aircraft and the most i've flown on VATSIM) however i gather its 'easier' to build a 737ng so thats my choice

Based on that decision, you can move forward with Project Magenta or other software.

(IE. If your going to go 737.. You will want to buy the PMDG Model next) followed by Project Magenta. I know you have the PMDG but is that the right aircraft for you. and is that the platform you want to go with.

Is there any other ? if you mean non PMDG then no i want to stay with PMDG

If your going to go airbus, you will need to choose a flight model and then choose AST, or PM.

Airbus ? no chance! hehe i may be european but its a case of Boeing now and forever

Basically my advice for you is spend the appropriate amount of time choosing the right aircraft.

Many new people rush in, and spend all the money just to find after the fact that they choose the wrong aircraft.

My heart says 747 my brain says 737 so after looking at all the options the brain wins

Either way, we are here for you every step of the way.

The very words i need to hear !

I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Best regards,

Trevor Hale
    Mycockpit.org Admin
    747 home cockpit builder

VATSIM 747 CALLSIGN : UN7
    United Nations Personnel Carrier

Just been to the Project Magenta site it recommends i get FSUIPC and WIDE FS is WIDE FS the same as WIDE CLIENT that you suggested ?
    747 home cockpit builder

VATSIM 747 CALLSIGN : UN7
    United Nations Personnel Carrier

75+ Posting Member

Mark,

Welcome to the Forum. And you are right when you said that there are people with patience in this forum to help others that are new to Cockpit building.

As you have made your choice to go the Boeing way, and you have the PMDG B737NG software, getting Project Magenta is a good idea as I think the PM sofware has been done quite well to emulate the real world aircraft in terms of the presentation of the instruments and the way it networks all the other software together. ( I have both FULL Airbus and Boeing PM Software as I want to fly both. A320 Cockpit in the plans for the future... ) If you are not in a rush to get PM, then have a look at the site below that one of our fellow flight simmers has done.

http://www.737ng.co.uk/

He uses PMDG software to also provide the Instrumentation behind the MIP's . Do check Ian's site out. I throughly recommend it. as he has losts of tips of doing other things in your sim in a cheaper way or he has some great ideas up his sleeve that can enhance your sim...

Have fun building your cockpit, I know I enjoy every minute of it but the minutes that I have to spend on the project is limited so be prepared to have patience building it and have some $$$$ in the bank somewhere as it will be a heavy investment once you go the FULL MONTHY........i.e. all the way with all the CDU, Radio panels, Pedestals, cockpit shell.,.etc..etc...

Cheers and good luck.

Chris

Chris Danker
    Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Don't go with your head, go with your heart. There may be more parts around for a 737 but you love the 747. This hobby is about building the plane YOU WANT to fly, not one that is easier.

There is not going to be that much difference in the two big jets anyway in the long run, so go with the one that really makes you happy.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Quote Originally Posted by Taupax View Post
    Just been to the Project Magenta site it recommends i get FSUIPC and WIDE FS is WIDE FS the same as WIDE CLIENT that you suggested ?
    Hi and welcome.

WideFs makes it possible to use FS addons, that communicate with FS via Fsuipc, on a remote pc. It contains of two parts:

1. Wideserver.dll wich should be placed in FS9 modules foldes. The FSX version of Fsuipc has the WideFs server part built in the dll.

2. WideClient.exe that has to be placed and run on the remote pc.
    Regards Anders Eriksson

www.simcockpit.se

FS9

Think you may get a registered FSUIPC &/or WideFS with PM - think you used to so if you are going down the PM route could save yourself a few euro... Worth an email to PM...

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taupax View Post
    Correct, But when you buy project magenta you are entitled to FSUIPC and WIDEFS FREE.

Most people can't afford PM right away but you need FSUIPC and WIDE FS for most things.

Trev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast