Thread: Vasfmc

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by AlexW View Post
    Hi,

Btw, i would be really curious to see pictures of homecockpits using vasFMC.

regards, Alex
    I would too, because at this point I have a hard time understanding how well it could be implemented when someone is using Project Magenta RJ software. That's where my issues lie- do I have to use the ND from vasFMC to get any function from it?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi,

Sorry, I don't understand the question. vasFMC 2.x comes with a CDU, ND, PFD (and an ECAM i am currently working on) all components are working together.

regards, Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    I would too, because at this point I have a hard time understanding how well it could be implemented when someone is using Project Magenta RJ software. That's where my issues lie- do I have to use the ND from vasFMC to get any function from it?
    Alex Wemmer (developer of vasFMC)

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

I don't think it would work with PM. If I recall right, this software works with the FS auto pilot. If it is it's own autopilot it may work, but it will not show up in the displays with like your magenta line. There is a way to get the line in the PM software but if you made changes in flight they would not show up on the ND. You would also not get like VS speeds in the displays and so forth.
    Bob Reed

Thanks Bob, that was basically what I was thinking.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Quote Originally Posted by AlexW View Post
    Hi,

Sorry, I don't understand the question. vasFMC 2.x comes with a CDU, ND, PFD (and an ECAM i am currently working on) all components are working together.

regards, Alex
    Alex

Many of us building Full Size cockpits are already using an avionics display software, such as the Project Magenta avionics display software.

What is really needed though is a feature rich FMC software that can be used on a network, that will display Flight Plan info on the Project Magenta software. Im confident to say that if someone could produce such a software, there would be a nice market for it. At this time the FMC/CDU software from Project Magenta is not available for the Regional Jet package and is in need, and there's no announced plans to complete the product that Im aware of.

Just as there's a few other products that have successfully integrated their function into the Project Magenta software, such as the weather program SA WXR, it is possible (in my mind) to create a stand alone program that would allow the user to load in weight/performance info into a FMS software and it display VSpeeds and route info on the Project Magenta ND and PFD.

What are your thoughts Alex? It could make you quite some bucks, I'd think!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Eric.

Think about what you are saying. Do you really think that Some 3rd party would get permission from Project magenta to create a program that would have access to the internal workings of their PM software that would allow the 3rd party to make a profit from such software. I mean, wouldn't it be easier to just ask Cadbury's to provide the secret to getting the filling inside the caramilk bar?

I understand what your saying, but seriously, this won't ever happen.

Trev

Of course it'd be easier to get the secret filling from Cadbury than getting permission from PM to access their code!

No, I dont think that's required. Please understand that I am admittedly not familiar at all with programming, etc. and this is probably (like many things) much easier said than done.

However, if Florian Praxmarer can make the weather show up on the PM screens, why couldnt an add-on FMC package do the same? Changing info in MSFS causes changes to occur on the PM screens, so why couldnt it run along side of MS/PM and put the info where it goes on the PM software?

However, as I think about this more and more, I realize and admit that this is very debatable as to if it would be an acceptable thing to do. However, at it's core I see it no different than buying MSFS and plugging some addon into it.

If it causes offense, I truly am sorry and dont mean to try to cause debate or bad feelings, but if a process could be implemented that doesnt violate the PM EULA, then I see it as an add-on just like any other add-on from a 3rd party.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post

However, if Florian Praxmarer can make the weather show up on the PM screens, why couldnt an add-on FMC package do the same? Changing info in MSFS causes changes to occur on the PM screens, so why couldnt it run along side of MS/PM and put the info where it goes on the PM software?
    Ahhh Eric Son, Because PM gets its wether radar from a static PICTURE (Gif/JPG/or something of the sort)
    Florian just renames the image to the same name that the pm software is looking for.

Changing the magenta line on the ND with flightsim is cause you have the ND set to read a flightsim flight plan. But as for have a 3rd party software access the code in PM to change the magenta line, thats a different ball game.

Either way, no offense is created, Its just that you need to think of the software writer when you say things like this.

For example. How would PMDG like it if someone else wrote a software that would allow the CPFLIGHT MCP to communicate with their airplane, without people needing to buy the license to do that.

It is a very touchy subject, and you need to think of the big picture.. Thats all.

Trev

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hello Guys,

I will not develop a interface between vasFMC an PM, that would not be possible. But, when vasFMC will be ready (which will indeed take its time), it will provide you with a fully fledged FMC.

regards, Alex
    Alex Wemmer (developer of vasFMC)

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Eric, if you do not plan on buying the PM FMC. better start looking for a different avionics package to use. PM will never allow anyone access to there code... Nore would I if I was them! Maybe go back to FS's gauges and use a gauge design software to make your own and then use vasFMC or one like it... Not many options here.
    Bob Reed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12