Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Ok, I have to comment now. I am a police officer and have been for twenty years ( I have worked undercover and was assigned to several federal task forces ( not bragging but giving insight on what I have done)), I see and deal with BS and the secret squirrel stuff that know one wants you to know about. I have friends in federal agencies and I asked if anyone looked into me about my sim and this is what he/she said, "oh, they/we know who you are". Enough said, I now know I'm on the radar but flying low because it is used for personal recreation and thats it, not in a malicious manner. Not teaching straight and level flying. I got the impression that we "all" are on the radar because of our hobby.

This is not an attempt to start a debate and I won't get dragged into one. I am not trying to flame anyone or persuade their opinion, just educate..

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post

I certainly dont mean to come across as 'John Wayne', but the problem is that I believe there are a certain amount of freedoms that each member of society in every country should enjoy. Having the cops show up without much reason to for checking up on a home sim, to me, is a bit invasive. Personally, I would have also let them in and probably fired it up and gave the boys a test flight. However, I believe that the war on terror is being abused to justify unneeded searching and here in the US it would not be very well taken to if they came knocking and had no warrent.
    Remember we are post 9/11 and living in their world where anything goes to get their "mission" completed reguardless of collateral damage which in their eyes there is none. I am stationed at a major airport and see the briefings and current trends of what they are attempting to do. How they test us. I have personally witnessed it and they are very resourceful. I am not a war monger, I do belive some things are being abused in the name of the "war", but these sob's are machines like a Terminator and they have to be wasted to put it bluntly. If one tries to come thru the check point, I have only one order.......

I understand that you would get upset about cops coming to check out your sim and I probably would to, but what can you do, they are just doing their job following up on leads. DO you have any idea how many "Arab" calls we got after 9/11? Every major incident results in every neighbor ratting on the other neighbor? Do they amout to anything, 99% of the time no. But the neighbor feels," I thought you might ought to know"

And if you are going to keep talking about "warrents" it's spelled warrants

300+ Forum Addict

I actually think this is a good thing

We all want to live on a safe planet. And because of the "you never know" factor, I think it is good that the law comes for a visit to meet the builder/enthusiast to put him on the "safe" list

I dont think any man with bad things on his mind would use all this hours of cutting metal, soldering interface-boards, shaping wood, painting and tweaking software. They would probably do it an easyer way. But how can I know that for sure, and authorities cant know that for sure.

They have good reason for checking, and we should take that as an compliment for the work we do.

The authorities are more than welcome to my house. I will serve hot coffee and a test-flight

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

DAL900, I'm with ya.... From the first day I started my project, I expected I will be watched. I'm not doing anything wrong and have nothing to hide. I welcome any govt. official to stop by and look around

That's just the way it's going to be..... things changed after 9/11, it was to be expected, as unfortunate as it may be..... life goes on, just different.

Administrator

Mycockpit.org

I have no problem showing the police anything about my sim. I would not keep any secrets from them and answer there questions the best I could.

Only question I would not want them to ask in front of the wife. "How much did this cost?"

May need the law for protection then

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ivar hestnes View Post

The authorities are more than welcome to my house. I will serve hot coffee and a test-flight
    To heck with the coffee, I serve Beer.. LOL

75+ Posting Member James Twomey's Avatar

To heck with coffee or beer.... Bourbon on the rocks!!!!!!....Gotta put them in first class!!!! LMAO
    James Twomey

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    DAL900, I'm with ya.... From the first day I started my project, I expected I will be watched. I'm not doing anything wrong and have nothing to hide. I welcome any govt. official to stop by and look around

That's just the way it's going to be..... things changed after 9/11, it was to be expected, as unfortunate as it may be..... life goes on, just different.

100% I am with you guys. We live in a changed world now, and I am a firm beleiver that I have nothing to hide, therefore common in.

It would be a great feeling that officials feel my sim could be worthy of such an honor.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Hmmm.... This is a very interesting thread.
    I never really considered the implications of building a sim. I just decided I wanted to do it and got to work on it. I guess I have not been visited since mine is in storage and its only GA anyway.

I agree that getting crossed off the list is a good thing but I look back over my life and all the things I used to do that would have gotten me on the list in the first place and I wonder who my guardian angel is.

Praise God I don't do all that stuff anymore.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

25+ Posting Member

Personally I would have asked them to show me a warrant.

You're building a sim, not a real airplane or a missile. This is definitely police overstepping their boundaries in a big way.

25+ Posting Member

Hmmmm.... to put things on the lighter side should I be worried about always mentioning that I like military sims and prefer to blow things up?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast