Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

My other hobby... (music)

Hey all,

Well, I've been here for 5 months now, so I thought it was about time I torture you with some of my music.

As well as my flight simulation / aviation passion, my other hobby is that I have been writing and recording music for about 15 years.

I have a music production studio in my attic (it shares the attic with my cockpit!). I have been playing keyboard for about 20+ years. I also play bass, electric and acoustic guitar but my guitar skills are a little less honed. ....Vocals are all mine too (bear in mind we have a VERY strong accent here in North East England, so you may not pick up every word )..... With plenty of reverb, and some EQ on the top end, they're not too bad hopefully. Drums are courtesy of guest drummers or occasionally, are electroniclly programmed (depending on the material and sound I'm going for).

Here are links to my 2 x Broadjam sites, where you can check out some of my tracks:-

(When you get to each page, click on "ALL TRACKS" on the right hand side, to access all of the tracks on each page).

This site is my SOLO music - it is best described as slightly quirky, melodic pop......

www.broadjam.com/davidrogers
    ....For those that prefer things a little more rocky, this is my band, SPASSEEBA.... here we have a British Indie type feel .....

www.broadjam.com/spasseeba
    .....anyway, if you're a little bored and want to hear what I get up to when I am not wiring Hagstrom cards, check these out !

David R
    Durham, England

1979 Mooney M20J Cockpit builder ......

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Interesting how a lot of us have similar hobbies Thanks David for sharing that with us

Hi Matt - Yes, there was a discussion about this on another forum I was on .... there are a lot of flight sim hobbyists out there, who also have some type of major appreciation of music (either writing, production / technical, or even just big appreciateion!).

Must be the same genes involved!

David R
    Durham, England

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Yeah, and not just music either, it gets into some other hobbies that are technical orientated. Nice to know we're not alone with these intricate hobbies

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

I run a guitar class at church. How likely is that...?
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

25+ Posting Member

Its pretty cool to see others with similiar interests. I also play some guitar and bass and I'm a huge music fan in general. I listen to just about anything jazz, heavy metal (Huge Maiden fan), blues, soul/R&B, avant garde, pop............... you name it. I love to just put on an album turn up the volume and listen. My oldest brother is in a couple of bands and plays a lot of blues, funk, jazz and jam music (hes a big Phish fan).

I have to admit though that my hobby of guitar playing has taken a backseat in recent years to my simming hobby and bike riding. Funny how the older you get and the more money you get the less time you have for fun!

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi David, Snap!

I play keyboards too - Roland E56 synth, Roland D20 sequencer, Roland EP9 piano, Yamaha SY22 synth, Roland HP103 Upright digital piano, Technics E66 organ, 'Carlos' 12 string guitar, Epiphone 6 string semi acoustic guitar, Aria Pro II Bass guitar and I sing aswel. I have been musical director of an 8 piece Pink Floyd tribute band called "PULSE" over here in Perth for over 12 years now. We get together every 2 or 3 years for a series of big shows with the circular screen and videos etc. In between those gigs I'm usually doing trios for the simbuilding funds. My sim is in my music studio and I use my powered mixing desk to drive the subs under my seats, quite handy as the sound is big. The sim screen doubles as our home theatre now and again.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Some nice hardware you got there Gwyn! .... I must confess, in the last 3 years I have sold all of my hardware keyboards (except my Korg Triton), as I mainly use virtual instruments now, via MIDI keyboard.

It's not as sexy as having the real thing in your studio, but the versatility is unmatched.

I suppose I should also take the opportunity to get a plug in that I also run a relatively successful Mastering House here in the UK... the website (page!) is very poor, but the mastering's great!

www.village-mastering.co.uk

Did 32 paid jobs last year, so pretty good as a side line in addition to the boring 'real' job.

I use UAD (Universal Audio), Waves, TL Audio, Focusrite, etc...... (No Avalon yet but it's on the wish list!)

David R
    Durham, England