Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hello to all (especially to 727 folks)!

Hello,

With 2008 around the corner, I figured it was time to join the forums for the new year.

A quick introduction:

My project is not quite a sim but, rather, a historical and technically accurate restoration of a 727-100 cockpit (sort of). I have a real -100 main instrument panel (MIP), overhead (100% filled with correct modules), throttle quadrant, and control columns plus yokes at present. The MIP is now 100% filled with correct analog instruments and warning lights. This will be a working restoration which means I intend to have all instruments/lights fully functional. However, in order to preserve the historical restoration, I am working to one simple rule, which is: "no instrument or component is to be modified in any way". This means I have to design interfaces to all instruments using their native (original) signal format. Being an Airframe and Powerplant technician, and an Aerospace electrical engineer, this is not particulary a major problem but it will require a lot of work (currently in progress).

My original intent was to have a working static display but the more I think about it, the idea of connecting the above to operate as a functional simulator makes sense. Once I have all the interfaces done, the next logical step would be to have Flight Simulator be the source to drive eveything in response to control inputs (i.e., flying). But, that part of the project is way off at the present time.

I also have all modules for the Flight Engineer station and will eventually get that going as well.

I also have quite a bit of 727 technical data to include flight manuals, aircraft maintenance manuals, aircraft wiring diagrams, and some instrument overhaul manuals in case anyone is looking for some technical information that is not otherwise readily available.

At the moment, I do not have any digital photos of the project but when I get some, I will post them.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I always like to share with others, especailly those who also like the 'ole 3-holer.

Happy holidays to all!!

Rick

MyCockpit Support Staff

Welcome to MyCockpit Rick,

We have a few 727 sim builders here, it will be great to have your tech know how available for our members. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Regards, Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

A big 'Welcome' from me. Glad to have you aboard.

I have some pin-out questions for some Gables equipment I'll bother you with after the holiday.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Oops!!! another 727 builder.... What's an airbus person, like myself, to do with all these 727 builders

Glad to have you aboard Rick, you're in good company

It's nice to know there are more 727 builders that aren't afraid of a challenge.

I'd be willing to bet that if software and hardware development companies would support this aircraft, more people would build it. A smaller percentage for sure and prices would reflect that, but at least parts and pieces and software would be available.

I really shouldn't be complaining though. Surplus Boeing equipment is much cheaper than any aftermarket 737, 57, 67, 47 equipment. And it's the real part. Not something close, not 80% scale, no guesswork involved. If it has a Boeing or other mfg part number, you have the real deal.

The reverse engineering can sometimes be a PITA, and it helps to have a background in electronics, but it's by no means rocket science to hook up switches and get indicators working.

It's rather scary jumping in to uncharted waters with few, if any, that have gone before you.

If it hadn't been for Joe's incredible 727, I might not even have a simulator, because it was a 727 or nothing.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

All,

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad to be here.

For Boeing Skunk Works -

Regarding Gables pin-outs; this is one manufacturer that I have no data for. Not sure why but their data is not readily available as is Collins. I've had to ring-out the pins on my Gable control heads instead of looking them up as I have for other components. For Nav/Com heads, it would be helpful to know the 2-out-of-5 standard that was used to define the frequencies on older aircraft before digital data buses. Basically, each digit of the frequency is defined by five discretes (five wires) where any two of them are grounded (logic 0) while the other three are held logic high. By varying the pattern of the two discretes that are grounded, the numbers 0-9 are defined for that digit. For the higher weight digits, like the 10 megahertz digit, several of the inputs are typically hard wired inside the control head since there will only be a few combinations used (e.g., 100 mhz (0), 120 mhz (2), 130 mhz (3)); no need to carry wires for discretes that never change.

Let me know what Gables questions you have and maybe I have something here that will help. One avenue I have used before is to use my aircraft wiring diagrams to help figure out pinouts of control heads and other things. Sometimes this works and sometimes not; the biggest problem is that the diagram does not identify the model of the control head, so sometimes is takes some deduction work to figure it out. I recently used this method to figure out the pinouts for my radio altimeter instrument (vertical tape type)that would have been a nightmare to figure out by reverse engineering.

Rick

Hi!

Just one piece for now that I haven't had on the bench yet: Gables G-3859, 32 pin jack for the advanced WX radar controller.

I only need the pins for the lightplate and push-buttons. Would the indicator lamps in the PB's be 28vdc? Unlike Collins equipment, I've found that Gables uses both voltages for a lot of the indicators for their control heads.

If you don't have this info, no sweat. I'm used to probing with a meter.

The most difficult peice I had to figure out was the flight director control. I called a shop in Memphis and the guy was very helpful. It was only a 26 or 28 pin jack, but no matter what I probed, I couldn't find those two pins.

Thanks!
    Boeing Skunk Works