Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile More Hagstrom success!

Today I eventually found the time to wire up more switches on my panels to the Hagstrom.

My Hagstrom config txt file now runs through to IN08 !!

I also used some commands that use [CTRL] and [SHIFT] useage too.

When doing this with the hagstrom, you need to tell the board to 'hold' the shift key, while a subsequent key is pressed, then release it.

Eg:-

IN06:[(+)SHIFT][P][(-)SHIFT]

.....this command is telling the Hagstrom to do a 'make only' on the Shift key (ie, press but not release), this is represented by the (+) next to the shift command. Then the P key is pressed, then the Hagstrom is told to release the shift key.

I completed the config file, reloaded it into the Hagstrom, then wired the switches up.

I then set up the key assignments on the Wilco / feelThere Airbus Series for the EFIS controls: ND Range +, ND Range -, ND Mode +, ND Range - and Master Caution and Master Warning switches.

Originally, there weren't any key strokes for these important commands but Eric Marciano added offsets for them, and used some unused standard FS commands (such as 'Clutch Rotor' and 'Helo Governer').

After loading up FS and the Airbus, I flicked the first switch on my home made EFIS control panel, and to my delight, the ND range increased ! All other switches worked equally successfully

I have to say, the Hagstrom card is an absolute gem to the home cockpit builder..... I wish other developers would follow their lead; Great service, excellent value for money, and most importantly, superb quality and product that just works!

It is an amazing milestone to have a fully working, self made, EFIS panel that works perfectly with the sim ! ......and extremely simple to build and configure thanks to the Hagstrom.

David R
    Durham, England

1979 Mooney M20J Cockpit builder ......

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

That's good news David.

I'm seriously considering the KE72 and retiring my LP24 Hagstrom card. I plan to use it to rewire the entire overhead, and possibly include it for the AP and throttle quadrant non-axis functions.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

75+ Posting Member

I am using several Hagstrom Rotary 5s and a Hagstrom KE-USB36 (latest version) in one of my simulator cockpits!

The KE-USB36 has been instrumental in not having to use "joy2key" which is a huge bonus as J2K can give some very peculiar results from time to time and is not the most stable of utilities but one cannot complain about it as it is free!
    Happy New Year All!!!

Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing Skunk Works View Post
    That's good news David.

I'm seriously considering the KE72 and retiring my LP24 Hagstrom card. I plan to use it to rewire the entire overhead, and possibly include it for the AP and throttle quadrant non-axis functions.
    I couldn't recommend the KE72 highly enough. It is literally 'set and forget'..... and remember I have absolutely zero previous experience of wiring anything to anything !

The KE72, some switches, and some wire, and you have the key to making anything for your 'pit ...... MIP switches, MCPs, OVerhead switches, Centre Ped switches.... it's as useful as your imagination
    David R
    Durham, England

David,

If you use the KE72 for inputs (switches etc) what are you using for outputs (LEDS - not those again!) and 7 segment displays?

I'm trying to decide what to use instead of FSBus...
    Happy New Year
    Mike

Mike,

Quick answer would be - nothing !

I am using a very pragmatic philosophy towards my build these days. Trying to stick with all the enjoyable and relatively painless aspects of building without the aspects that cause masses of frustration.

One example of this approach is that despite owning both Project Magenta and AST suites, I am currently building my pit around desktop add-ons that (for me ), perform better in virtually every respect.

For me, a wonderful looking hardware 'pit is wonderful but must always come 2nd to something that is enjoyable, fun, and realistic to fly and operate within the FS world. I can't be happy with Airbus Software that doesn't even provide a FBW or basic autotrimming method at this time. I can't be happy with bugs and lacking functionality when some desktop FS software gives such a wonderful and pleasurable (as well as realistic) experience.

I've taken the same approach to my hardware interfacing, using the Hagstrom KE-72 for inputs. I am not currently using any output solution for LEDs, etc... (my annunciation is all from the PFD). Keeps things nice and straightforward.

I'm also making all my own panels now, to fit around the above approach. (My FDS Elite MIP panels are for sale).

I have built and completed my own MIP panels, Centre Panel, Glareshield, and glare panels (EFIS). I am now commencing my MCP build, which incorporates the Go-Flight RF48 unit (rotaries & push buttons), along with some home made aspects.

I've learned that when approaching a pit build, it is essential to consider your own preferences, priorities and even traits! ...... My pit is clearly A320 (photos soon!), but I have built it so that with 5 minutes of modification it can become 'generic' and can be used for the other aircraft that I love.... (I am building a pit that can be a convincing A320 but 5 minutes later can be adapated into a reasonably realistic 737-200 pit !). It is no good spending $15,000 on a perfect A320 or 737NG replica if you are the type of person that enjoys the variety of studying and operating a number of different aircraft! .....this has been a reasonably expensive lesson for me, but I am so happy with my current build that I'm not depressed about any past spend that I may not have got benefit or value from.

Having changed my overal philosophy towards my build, I am having more fun than ever.

David R
    Durham, England

Hi David,

I can certainly appreciate where you are now coming from (going to) with your build - I'm still going 737 but then I wonder what will it be like if I want to do some GA site seeing or fly anything with more than 2 engines - its a dilema and an expensive one too!
    Will be keen to see your latest photos.

Regards
    Mike

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mpl330 View Post
    Hi David,

I can certainly appreciate where you are now coming from (going to) with your build - I'm still going 737 but then I wonder what will it be like if I want to do some GA site seeing or fly anything with more than 2 engines - its a dilema and an expensive one too!
    Will be keen to see your latest photos.

Regards
    Mike
    I do this from time to time. Not too hard except for how the "gauges" are laid out behind my mip. As for throttle If it has 4 just use FSUIPC to assign the extra throttles to what you have. I fly 172s and twins from time to time. It can be done with pretty good success.....
    Bob Reed

25+ Posting Member

try the Hagstrom web-site:-

www.hagstromelectronics.com