Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

IMHO, I believe from the simpit builder's perspective I've tried to pose a convincing argument for that situation to occur. It's mostly based on my observations of other hardware and software development communities been a part of over the years. It is a plausible route that could be followed. It is definitely the way I'd prefer to see it develop.

I really see that as a formula for a win-win situation for both homebuilders and the software developer. Putting innovative tools in the hands of the average simpit builders should be a goal to achieve. Not many other developers out there recognize this market and properly target it. For the developer, the customer base would give you enough feedback to make Sol7 more feature filled and help steer it in new directions that might otherwise not of occurred.

With that in mind, I'm not just all talk. I pledge right now to be the first one in line to purchase Sol7 if it would follow that income and community support design.

Hi all, thanks everyone for all the positive comments on and off the forum.

We're certainly listening with open ears to all the arguments and once again, we're keen to support what seems to be a great community .

If possible, a poll or survey sounds like a good idea from our point of view. I think that this would also be beneficial for the larger community regarding general requirements and set-ups for sim visuals.

Some areas that are of interest to me include
    - What current set-ups are being used (Monitors, LCDs, Projectors, multi-displays - monitors/LCDs/projectors, mirrors, any other solutions).
    - Graphics set-ups (TH2Go, WideView, single displays)
    - Numbers that would be interest in obtain Sol7 for curved displays
    - Ultimate visual set-ups, whether a single curved projectors would suffice, or multi-projectors are the ideal.

Hopefully that should start the ball rolling, but I'm sure there are other equally important questions that should be added.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

That's a good start Andy. Any one else's recommendation to add to the poll, please do so now.

I'll gladly start a second thread with the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    Some areas that are of interest to me include
    - What current set-ups are being used (Monitors, LCDs, Projectors, multi-displays - monitors/LCDs/projectors, mirrors, any other solutions).
    - Graphics set-ups (TH2Go, WideView, single displays)
    - Numbers that would be interest in obtain Sol7 for curved displays
    - Ultimate visual set-ups, whether a single curved projectors would suffice, or multi-projectors are the ideal.
    I use both TH2G and sometimes SoftTH. I have also tested TH2G+SoftTH to achieve 5-screen hardware accelerated surround. I mostly triple-head. The 5-screen and 6-screen things I've done were just proof of concepts to prove they can be done. I have the capability to run 8 video outs with a 790FX motherboard, but currently only have 3 of the 4 video cards need to achieve that. I also have several projectors, but I've yet to use multiple projectors at once on the same system. I've usually limited them to overhead single projection of games, movies or tv.

I want to use the multiple projectors and the TH2G and/or SoftTH to project on some type of immersive screen design -- be it circular screen or some sort of half-dome. As I've not had the capability to do this stuff before, that's where Sol7 becomes useful for me. My interest would be in building portable design that I could put up and take down as needed. I have the capability of implementing a screen, I just need to nail down what would best suit my needs. ATM, I have 2 InFocus SP5000 720p that are functional and 1 other that I'm needing to get a bulb for.

Implementing the mechanics of SoftTH into Sol7 might be a good idea to review. That would take the cost of buying a TH2G out of the homebuilders expenses while improving Sol7's feature set. It would make Sol7 more valuable in the sense that the customer would only have 1 purchase instead of 2, and that 1 purchase would have a lot more features. TH2G has a very strict set of hardware limitations in both screen refresh rates and maximum screen resolution. SoftTH is much more flexible than TH2G with mixing screens. I'd actually recommend taking it beyond the 3 screen limit as to give people more options that would exist only if you used Sol7. The new 3 and 4 PCIe 2.0 video slot motherboards have a lot of capability (6 or 8 video outs) that has not been fully exploited by a product. Most people only think SLI (or Crossfire) on those multiple PCIe slot mobos, so the surround-screen/projection is a ripe target market. There are no real functional answers to hardware accelerated 3d over more than 3 screens for the consumer market. The pixel buffer on the 8X00 series cards can do up to 8192x8192, so there is a lot of pixel buffer capability there to chop up and mold into whatever is needed 3-screens+.

I initially tried Sol7 last night on the MMO game Eve Online. It really impressed me with it's transparent use. Once you have it setup it just works. That is the really nice thing I see with this utility.

I think what first triggered my fascination in this kind of circular projection:

Star Trek has always had the best technological concepts.

Since the Connie has relatively small windows, I would like to have one projector and a curved screen. The goal is to get to 180 deg view as close as possible. 140deg would also be sufficient and I think that has already been done with 1 beamer.
    My cockpit should also be transportable, that's another reason for a 1 projector setup... it's easier to move and install.

A colleague who's working with me had a completely different idea to use the Sol7 software.... a home planetarium! A hemispheric ceiling and the beamer projecting upright. Maybe with more than 1 beamer.
    Andy should also contact some hobby astronomist forums, I think they will like the software too

Christian

300+ Forum Addict

This is how my setup hopefully would look like.

Curved screen around cockpit, 3 beamers with tripplehead2go and using NicD`s method to get the sidewiews

What I would need from Sol7 which I assume is not in place, is possibility to adjust and warp all the three screens independent. Then it would not be so extreme difficult to align the projectors

So the nearly aligned beamers can be software adjusted to get a seamless picture and then give me a sweet ride in my 737 sproose goose

Quote Originally Posted by superconnie View Post
    A colleague who's working with me had a completely different idea to use the Sol7 software.... a home planetarium! A hemispheric ceiling and the beamer projecting upright. Maybe with more than 1 beamer.
    Andy should also contact some hobby astronomist forums, I think they will like the software too

Christian
    Yep, that is currently where I find all my dome information at. They have some pretty interesting projection ideas with that community that would transfer over well to simulators. Problem is, most planetarium software is geared to movie projection and not realtime. This would also help out that community greatly too. I really only see this catching on in that community in academic circles for use in science lab settings. There are several inflatable minidome planetarium systems but they're really expensive.

Whenever I google for dome information it's usually for planetrium or the Burning Man gathering. That Burning Man gathering information makes for some pretty entertaining reading...lol.

Now I have a very basic question... does Sol7 only work with realtime 3D programs and not with video?
    I don't need that, it's only good to know in case someone asks.

Would it be possible to create a program that does this warping to everything that is displayed? The whole windows desktop for example and all windows, no matter what's in it.... on a pixel base?

Or is this more for those applications that work with an expensive hardware component?

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by superconnie View Post
    Now I have a very basic question... does Sol7 only work with realtime 3D programs and not with video?
    I don't need that, it's only good to know in case someone asks.
    There are DirectX 9 rendering video players. Media Player Classic for example. Just pick your rendering settings in preferences. I just did this quick test with the evaluation copy:

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast