Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

BWHawthorne:
    I've purchased CylMapper from Paul Bourke and his software is terrific. I run an Intel iMac so the software works well. However, Paul's software takes a totally different tack. It is for pre-warped images, not real-time simulations. We've conversed via email about our hobby.

Sol7 does the pre-warping so that Paul's CylMapper software isn't needed- BUT- if Sol7 does the pre-warping/blending, then using Paul's ideas for projection onto cylindrical or spherical screens become quite interesting and doable. I am also using PVC conduit and high quality screen material for the cylindrical screen. Paul's ideas help prevent light loss from fisheye lenses and so on.

Steve

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

I've sent a few emails to Paul Bourke awhile back with no success getting replies. I'd be interested in seeing his take on real-time use and particularly for homebuilt cost effective simulator solutions. Sol7 does look like it would work in many examples. Situations where Sol7 doesn't work in these example, I see as opportunities that it might expand upon to become more feature filled.

25+ Posting Member

If a consumer version of Sol7 would be maximum 500 USD than they might sell hundreds of it.

I am curious how it will turn out.

$500 is still a bit much but it's cheaper that a second or third projector. I'd say 500 is the absolute limit...

I wonder how many users of this forum would like to buy this software and what the maximum price is they're willing to pay. Could someone setup a poll???

As already written in the curved mirror thread, I have tested the Sol7 software and it is brilliant. Easy to set up and the result is just great. So I really hope the guys from Immersaview can find a solution with the price.... I think it's better to sell 10x$400 instead of 1x$4000. The more people know about this, the more copies they can sell.
    I know a couple of cockpit builders in switzerland and I think they will be very interested too...

For my use some kind of "Sol7-light" would already do the job. 1 projector geometry correction without edge blending. Maybe that would be another way to go, to provide a version with reduced capabilities.

Christian

I want to buy it if the price is right. My personal preference would be around $100 per projector for my 3 projectors, not $600 per projector. I can afford $300, but not $1800. I donno that many people will do multi-projector though. At most I see people would use 3 projectors, more would be using 1 or 2. So, the pricing model based on installed projectors might actually cut them short on income. Maybe price match it with the cost of the Matrox TripleHead2Go ($250-300 USD). Default homebuilt pricing of $300 with the ability to use up to 3 projectors would be my ideal. That might be a good middle ground. Do away with the "per projector" pricing. It's going to be so rare that "per projector" pricing would actually bring them anything big with a homebuild userbase. More likely to get people projecting off of plastic mirror material (like in big screen tvs) and bending the projection to panoramic instead of multi projector.

300+ Forum Addict

Fellow builders.

Remember that this software is originally aimed at a pro market.

There is probably a reason that the software is quite expensive. I dont think anyone should get any unrealistic dreams about the pricing. It has probably been alot of development for this.

It is very kind of Andy to take his time to research opportunities for our hobby. And if he can see a sim-builder market, I am sure he will do his best to get the price within reach for us.

Other vendors also have this kind of software, and often very expensive hardware must be bought aswell to make use of the software.

But get a price from 4000 down to 100 is like win the lottery.

Why should he bother to sell 40 copies for giveaway price when it is much better to sell one for 4000, when he actually can do that.

I think this topic should consist more of what this software can do and cant do, The needs we have, and so on.

I am sure Andy does his best so we can take part of this software

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I agree with Ivar... the software is a dream, as much as a dream of being able to purchase collimating mirror for my cockpit. Which BTW way would be the ultimate

I can't see them cutting down the software to lower the price. I looked at their demo video, and it's exactly what I would want, not anything less. Besides, I'm not sure if anything less would make it work the way we all want.

A poll or a survey is in order, perhaps with Andy's help or some of you, we can develop a survey.

Then perhaps a decision can be made if this is worth while investment for Immersaview.

Quote Originally Posted by ivar hestnes View Post
    But get a price from 4000 down to 100 is like win the lottery.

Why should he bother to sell 40 copies for giveaway price when it is much better to sell one for 4000, when he actually can do that.
    Simple economics, only a rare few will buy it at the commercial cost, while he'll make more money in the long run by going with quantity sales. They achieve several things with pricing for quantity sales:

#1 market saturation
    #2 product branding recognition
    #3 an actual installed user community
    #4 competative non-commercial pricing makes them the de-facto homebuild standard
    #5 it affords them to make their own playing field and dictate pricing to their competitors in this homebuild market.

You won't get that via 2 or 3 people buying it. You also have to realize military/commercial and homebuild are a world apart. They're 2 distinctly different markets. He's not losing money from his military/commercial sales by quantity sales to the homebuilds. There is more money in it if they go quantity pricing for the non-commercial liscense.

Even if they made the same amount of money off of quantity sales vs keeping their current pricing structure, they'd miss out on all that #1-5. There are more advantages to going this route. I am willing to bet they price-point based on recoup costs and a specific profit goal. Those 2 things can still be achieved via quantity pricing in a new market that does not effect their original target market.

Also keep in mind, more installed userbase = more product feedback. Product feedback is critical for product success. They'll have a very good consensus on what is needed and how to best meet that need with an installed userbase community. With just 2-3 not much feedback is there. This helps them achieve success with the product and allows them to better adapt to the needs of people out there that are perspective buyers. I would personally gauge it as a greater success if 500 people were using it vs. 5 in homebuild settings. In my example people would know by default to buy Sol7 to suit their needs.

You price it outside of the reach of the average builder and you lose a lot in the process.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Excellent points Brad!!!!

300+ Forum Addict

I agree with that Brad