Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

On second thoughts Don's solution is really good. I wish to set the autobrake which has positions RTO, off 1,2,3 and max. I can already use (2) momentary push switches to - increase the setting (one switch) and decrease the setting (other switch). So Don your system would work wouldn't it?
    Bill

10+ Posting Member

Yes it should work fine on anything that needs an incremental or decremental
    change, so would work in your application ok

The knitter type switch looks interesting, however I couldnt find any supplier except Mouser and even they say they wont be stocking it in the future

Don

150+ Forum Groupie

So Don can you explain in really simple steps how i connect this as i need 6 differnt positions RTO, OFF, 1,2,3, and Max for the autobrake. I assume I need to use 6 connections to the KE72
    Cheers
    Bill

10+ Posting Member

If you say that at the momment you can do it with two mommentary push buttons where one steps the brake up and the other steps it down then you could do the same thing with an encoder using 2 inputs on your ke72

The common pin on the rotary encoder goes to Gnd and the other two pins connect to 2 inputs on the ke72 , lets say input 1 and input 2

program one of the inputs on the ke72 to be the Shift key with a line like
    IN01:[(+)SHIFT][(-)SHIFT]
    program the other input to be any letter key you choose lets say 'B'
    IN02:[b]

In Flight sim you would assign the brake going in one direction as being operated with key 'B' and in the other direction with key 'b'

rotating the encoder one way will send out B B B B B for as long as you rotate it and turning it the other will send out b b b b b , therefore iether increasing or decreasing the brake setting

By the way , I looked around for the knitter switches that Bob put us on too as they sound usefull but the only place I could find that stock them is

http://www.4most.co.uk/miniature_rotary_coded.htm

I dont know if they will supply to private individuals rather than companies nor do I know if they have a minmum order ammount , It could be that you need to buy them in quantities of 100 or more

The only other place I found them is Mouser in the USA but they only have 130 left and say they wont be having any more

Don

150+ Forum Groupie

Don many thanks for that very clear reply. I will certainly try this. As I am currently building my base unit,MIP and pedestal it may be a week or so before I report back. Again many thanks. Will also follow your link on knitter switches.
    Bill

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Hi,

I do not want to spoil the party, not at all, just to let you know that I started cockpit building 5 years ago, also with a KE72 board (even two) and Knitter Switches. These Knitters worked reasonably well, but are a little bit 'jumpy' (don't know the right english word, but it is that you are not always sure how many pulses they will give if you turn the knob). But well you learn to live with it and for a year it kept me very happy and excited, just the excitement I recognise in this thread.

But if you continue with this hobby, the day will come that you also want feedback from your panel and control leds, and that is not possible with the KE72... :-[

So I replaced my two KE72s and my Knitters for Opencockpit Master cards and CTS288 encoders. A Master card (56 Euro) card gives you 72 inputs as well; you have the option to generate keys or, more advanced and more normal for cockpit builders, to change FSUIPC offsets, AND you have 45 outputs for leds.

Again, no offense, just some thoughts..

Nico Kaan

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    Hi,

I do not want to spoil the party, not at all, just to let you know that I started cockpit building 5 years ago, also with a KE72 board (even two) and Knitter Switches. These Knitters worked reasonably well, but are a little bit 'jumpy' (don't know the right english word, but it is that you are not always sure how many pulses they will give if you turn the knob). But well you learn to live with it and for a year it kept me very happy and excited, just the excitement I recognise in this thread.

But if you continue with this hobby, the day will come that you also want feedback from your panel and control leds, and that is not possible with the KE72... :-[

So I replaced my two KE72s and my Knitters for Opencockpit Master cards and CTS288 encoders. A Master card (56 Euro) card gives you 72 inputs as well; you have the option to generate keys or, more advanced and more normal for cockpit builders, to change FSUIPC offsets, AND you have 45 outputs for leds.

Again, no offense, just some thoughts..

Nico Kaan
    Very good point Nico! (no offense taken!) I agree with you. But the KE72 is a good starting point and for switch input you can keep using it even if down the road you switch to a more powerful interface.
    Bob Reed

150+ Forum Groupie

Yes Nico I also understand totally and was aware of the fact that the KE72 had,for example' no LED outputs. Looking around this site it is possible to imagine a cockpit full of lights etc. just as the really class builders have.But as Bob says we have to start somewhere and for guys with absolutely no knowledge of electronics or computer programming simply getting a switch to work is thrilling. Getting my autobrake working on a rotary will be another high! Meanwhile back to the garage where the MIP is taking shape (even my wife is impressed!!!) I haven't told her yet but I've just bought a CP Flight MCP and EFIS.
    Bill

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holclo View Post
    Yes Nico I also understand totally and was aware of the fact that the KE72 had,for example' no LED outputs. Looking around this site it is possible to imagine a cockpit full of lights etc. just as the really class builders have.But as Bob says we have to start somewhere and for guys with absolutely no knowledge of electronics or computer programming simply getting a switch to work is thrilling. Getting my autobrake working on a rotary will be another high! Meanwhile back to the garage where the MIP is taking shape (even my wife is impressed!!!) I haven't told her yet but I've just bought a CP Flight MCP and EFIS.
    Bill
    REMEMBER!!!!!! It cost $58.00!!! So is there a bed or couch in there? You may need it!
    Bob Reed

150+ Forum Groupie

LOL - Yea $58 - I'm not afraid.!! Just going out for a few beers to celebrate. She knows I was thinking of doing it - no need to tell her I've actually done it!!!
    Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast