Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by ivar hestnes View Post
    When I put together my shell, I also got trouble with the windows. But only with the front windows.

I had to make each front window about 8cm more wide. Then it worked fine. But I did not have any autocad-drawing.

Only trial and failure.

Yep, in reality I would do the same - its much faster way to make a real work done. Drawing takes much more time.
    The only problem that I have a garage with workshop in my home country, but currently I live abroad. I think my landlord wouldnt like the idea to turn the flat into construction yard
    I am also helping with another project of my friend (http://www.opencockpits.com/modules....g2_itemId=8002). You can see he has some space So I can tell you that you are absolutely right - trial and failure

Hi vitabutch,

Thanks for your comments, the shell i designed was intended for me to see if it would actually fit in the garage at home leaving enough room for the projector system, but unfortuantly it dont so i thought i would upload it anyway to help people to plan there overall sim layout. I know that there are some errors with it, but at the moment im designing the entire pedistal, MIP, glare and overhead in detail, once i have all that done i will insert it into the shell then really go into the shell construction to make it all fit, then probably upload that to replace the one avaliable now. By the way, it was never the plan to design my sim fully in 3D, but because i have no where to start building yet i have nothing better to do

I understand what you mean about designing the 737 cockpit, because of the flat windscreens versus the round profile of the body make the geometry absolutly head bending, i have spend a week trying to get it right but somehow its always wrong however i have just been to the model shop and bought a 737 model and im going to see if i can 3D scan it, should save a lot of messing about i hope

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by vitabutch View Post
    Its great! We are doing the same thing. I want to mention that just a shell is not what we need. The real 737 hull is constructed from stringers and base stations (pls see pics attached). Each base station has its number that corresponds to the distance from nose of the aircraft in inches. The position of the base stations is important for simbuilders because all the rest if the elements like control column shaft, pedals shaft, etc...are mounted on the base stations and floor ribs. I am working on it, rebuilding the whole picture in one drawing. Its not an easy task - most of the measurements from the web are inaccurate and a lot of intellegence needed to put it all together finding geometrical constraints. The most complicated part is windows section. On 737 windows are flat, but its turned in all directions in vertical and horisontal planes. This is what I stuck with at the moment.

P.S. Nice exercise - ple take a front window dimentions that are widely available in the net. And try to put them together in the CAD tool - and it will not work
    P.P.S. I would recommend you to add some more construction elements - it will make a shell solid. And windows mounting will be easier. If you take a look on any opening in the skin of fuselage - there are solid ribs surrounding the opening to fix the skin to the hull.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Quote Originally Posted by phil744 View Post
    I understand what you mean about designing the 737 cockpit, because of the flat windscreens versus the round profile of the body make the geometry absolutly head bending, i have spend a week trying to get it right but somehow its always wrong however i have just been to the model shop and bought a 737 model and im going to see if i can 3D scan it, should save a lot of messing about i hope

Phil
    I think alot of people are looking forward to your 3d design for the 737 shell

Stef
    www.boeing737ng.com

Quote Originally Posted by phil744 View Post
    however i have just been to the model shop and bought a 737 model and im going to see if i can 3D scan it, should save a lot of messing about i hope
    Phil
    Wow! Great idea!

I can help you with some proven data about 737 windows - its thickness (to get overall just add all thickness):

Window #1 - windshield - glass (0.1875 in); vinyl (0.380); glass (0.500)
    window #3 - sidewindow - 0.180; 0.280; 0.380
    window #4 - front eyebrow - 0.125; 0.300; 0.250; 0.200; 0.062.
    window #5 - side eyebrow - 0.125; 0.300;0.250

window #3 - sliding window - 0.500; 0.350; 0.1875
    Here is a PPG diagramm of layering of the windows. http://buyat.ppg.com/REP_aerospace_f...737-020404.pdf

One of the makers of 737 windows is Sierrasin company. They have a nice datasheet page to look into http://www.sierracin.com/commercial_datasheets.html
    There is no 737 model presented - probably because of this http://gozips.uakron.edu/~dratler/20...als/boeing.htm
    Boeing sued Sierrasin for disclosing their secret data about 737 windows.

Interesting fact 707, 727, 737 windows are the same

Some more datasheets from PPG http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Ae...mmAviation.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12