Thread: NEW CATEGORY

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

NEW CATEGORY

Thanks to a suggestions from Jim @ www.jimspage.co.nz

Here we are, just a category for the Motion Platform builders. Which I personally will keep a close eye on...., I like motion

If you haven't been to Jim's site.... check it out. Jim keeps his design simple and inexpensive.

Thanks again Jim

Motion

Gidday Matt0 I can vouch for Jims motion platform I have a working model in my garage!

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cwarner/flightsim.htm

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

CW, absolutely wonderful.... "Nice Job" impressive

Btw, what's the gross weight of your platform?

Hi to all I have a question for roland if I may
    In most of your graphs I have noticed after the initial output in your graphs there are a number of small after spikes is this a result of the raw data supplied from portdrvr and if so is there any way of filtering it out without just clipping it which would also clip out most of the smaller signals and the start of the larger ones to my driver circuits.
    I ask because that is the problem I face at this present time with my sim
    I love the fact of having the dynamics that you have afforded us, I linked the output of your D toA back in through the variable speed circuits that jim used as I am using hydraulics . This instantly improved the characteristics by a long way but I now need to get rid of the unwanted signals do you have any suggestions for me
    Regards
    Bish.
    Australia
    Now where did I put that bloody screwdriver

Giggay Matt0 the weight of the moving mass without pilot is 155 kg. This includes a truck battery under the co-pilots seat (to run the wiper motors) to partly balance out the pilot. I also have two computers and three CRT displays, one will disapear when the projector gets mounted. I am working on the visuals at the moment, it is going to be a back lit screen in front of the sim reflected with one mirror. the projector is going to be mounted underneath the sim at the front with the mirror sitting out in front. It will all move with the sim (of course) screen size to block all non view parts while looking out the front will be 2000 x 800 mm.
    Cheers

CW

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hi guys... Just a thought.. Shouldn't the screen be stationary?

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

What will be the Useful load of your platform??

Regards,

Roberto

Most sims in general have stationary screens. However i have a brainstorm for the pit that i am building once i clear up my garage, is to have a screen that tilts in the opposite direction of bank. That would definitely promote greater motion cues to my belief.
    I will try to replicate something similar to MATT OLEIMAN'S curve screen with three projectors. the puzzler is how is the image projected going to be affected during a bank.
    If it got wings i can crash it.

Great to see a lot of activity going on here lately!

Sorry for late answer, as I was 3 weeks away for business. Always seems to get in the way of the important (motion) stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bishoff7
    Hi to all I have a question for roland if I may
    In most of your graphs I have noticed after the initial output in your graphs there are a number of small after spikes is this a result of the raw data supplied from portdrvr and if so is there any way of filtering it out without just clipping it which would also clip out most of the smaller signals and the start of the larger ones to my driver circuits.
    I ask because that is the problem I face at this present time with my sim
    I love the fact of having the dynamics that you have afforded us, I linked the output of your D toA back in through the variable speed circuits that jim used as I am using hydraulics . This instantly improved the characteristics by a long way but I now need to get rid of the unwanted signals do you have any suggestions for me
    ---> Indeed if you take de differential signal as I did, you will end up with some lsb noise due to the coarseness of the roll/pitch output. I have not yet driven my platform with the software directly (currently busy building the isolation interface with optocouplers). In my interface, I have have control over the motor speed. Small low amplitude spikes will therefore hardly influence the platform movement, while spikes with larger amplitude will make things move more voilently. In the servo circuit I can tweak the servo gain, and set some null-zone in which there will be hardly any movement. Note this is still not tested, but should be feasible. Currently I'm also in contact with the guy who wrote the Portdrv utility, and together we are going to do some tests hardware and software related, to get a good solution for dynamics, noise etc. It may take a while as we all have fulltime jobs and other things that seem to get in the way of this addicting hobby. But as soon as there is any news, I'll let you all know.

You seem to be quite far with your platform. Please share with us some of your findings, if possible.

Rgds

Roland

Hi to all
    and thanks Roland for your reply . It will be really great to see some of the results you come up with between the two of you no doubt you will get this thing fine tuned very effectively .
    For me I like jims idea of using that particular type of reduction as it lends itself very easily to get 3 dof out of it with only the addition of one extra steering box and a spline added to his tailshaft found in most two piece tailshafts.apart from that it does not take a lot of data manipulation to get right feeling going and that is the most important part to me .
    I have been using old ford radius arm power steering not the rack and pinion type and have found that in order to get them to to react quickly enough to drive a fighter type sim has been quite a challenge one of the main drawbacks of this is that you have to use a separate pump drive for each steering box as using just the one pump and a series type hydraulic circuit is far to restrictive in these older boxes and this slows the action and the lifting capacity down too far to be viable . As you stated once before Roland only about one in every ten good ideas that you have actually works . So true
    I am not going to use rack and pinion for my next attempt I am now putting together the same type of steering box as jim
    used with no power assist but driven by a gear reduced servo motor setup which should do the trick very well and do away with some relays at the same time . I never realised how much torque you could pull out of those motors .
    There are still many hours in front of me but with a comunity like this to converse with how can I fail
    Regards Bish
    Now where did I put that bloody screwdriver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast