Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW CATEGORY

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed
    Hi guys... Just a thought.. Shouldn't the screen be stationary?
    Hey Bob,

I would say definetly no. If the screen did not move with the platform, it would counter the motion platform's attempt to simulate motion. If you don't have a motion platform, your screen does not move about, so neither should it move about when you are on a platform. Hope I am explaining that clearly :P
    hmm

150+ Forum Groupie

Platform Frame Material

Hi Craig
    Been away but lurking everyday to see whats happening on our scene i have posted a picture of my soon to be started flight sim based on yours and jims plans thoughts and ideas, like they said in the Jaws Movie it got to the stage where " I Think im gonna need a bigger Boat " only in this instance it turns out i had to make a Workshop at the bottom of my garden to house my new project .... been thinking about building a proper workshop and the little lady hinted as women do that the house ain't big enough for both of em LOL ... anyways will post mor pics as the building work is all but done now down to finishing touches have a look see on the gallery page under missc ... had another look at your site and was trying to see wait material you used to make the Base and cockpit support platform out of look like 4" x 2" wood or is that box section Metal ???

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I love the addition to your home..... That's the way to do it!!!! Love the pic

Gidday, wannabeaflyer. Well if that is the sim's home I am waiting keenly to see the sim itself! Good effort so far.

My wife said to me once, "Either that sim goes or I go!" Oh well I didnt need a wife anyway!.... Just kidding, she is right behind me and the kids love flying it, I just wish she wouldnt hang the washing on it!

I am using 4 x 2 on the bottom, it was originally sitting on castors on the floor, but when I decided to go for motion, I picked the whole lot up and rebuilt it on the base, in hindsight the 4x2 and 18mm particle board make for a heavy base, but it aint gonna flex!

I am having a whole lot of trouble (or challenges for the optomists within us!) I blew up the motion computer, was a bit economical with diode protection on the motion circuit! So the parallel port fried along with the computer, anyway a rebuild of the motion board with lots of diodes and a couple of softstarts/speed controls added and a new computer with a seperate ISA parallel port card and we are moving again, oh wait theres more! It only moved for a while then the Pitch motor decided it had enough and stopped, and then the micro switch assembly for the roll axis jammed up and the power steering ram destroyed that too!
    The good news is that while this was all going on I have a workable flightsim on top that I keep 'airworthy' so I can use it anytime!
    I have managed to get away with one softstart per axis I can change the speed to create slow return to centre and also change the return to centre speed on left or right to compensate for my weight on one side, all fully adjustable. I have programmed braking and acceleration in as well, anyone interested in wiring diagrams or program files just let me know, I havent updated the website for a while because there has been no visual improvements.

Cheers,
    CW

Material for the base-frame and shell-frame is my biggest decision at the moment - so I'm interested in your experience thus far. I'm trying to decide between timber like you guys have done, or to go welded steel tube (or box section).

Reason is that I'll probably have to move my sim to a different location next year and want to move it as a complete unit. I'm not thinking of doing motion anytime soon (if ever), but wonder if I should do a strong base/frame anyway just in case.

Advantages of wood are low cost, easier to build/change. Disadvantages are weight, strength required for overhead (?), flex, and tricky joins in some places.

Advantages of steel are strength and low-flex, disadvantages are cost, someone else has to do it, and difficult to change once done.

Any other thoughts / advice?

cheers

Gidday NicD,
    I used 40 x 40mm timber as a frame and 3mm MDF as cover, my last sim was steel tube with aluminium as a cover.
    As a cost saving this time round I am using wood, I think whatever you are happy working with you should use, the timber is strong and the MDF is flexible enough to mould into shapes. I have seen some awesome sims made of wood around the web. So, in a nutshell I havent really been any help, dude!
    As a foot note to my other post, I have repaired all the motion system problems and everything is running again, in fact with the addition of the softstart/speed controllers, adding some trampoline springs and a change in pivot points, I no longer need the power assist! My wiper motors running the power steering racks is enough to move the whole sim (155KG)
    It has been a good day, I hope everyone has a productive sim building day too, that is what makes this fascinating hobby worthwhile!

CW

150+ Forum Groupie

Just to say thanks Again

Hi Craig as always you guys came good but you just opened the door and am goona step through you mentioned updates to your sim after your minor grounding and as always want to learn from these things .. You mentioned Diode protection and the hindsight need for an parallel port card which is pluggable onto the mother board as a prudent step to safeguarding the system ... i kinda like that option as its something i did when i made my DIY CNC machine.. Got the Parallel IFC card from a company in the States ... They are on the CNCZone website ..Anyways you mentioned a wiring diagram and Program files .. any chance of shipping them over to me via E-mail . Because im just finishing the workshop ( Hanger ) as i insist on calling it i am just lurking, scouting, Beg borrowing and down right blatantly using any info i get from the net to decide the best and easiest elements to get my project going , as soon as i manage to post more than one picture i'll create an Album so you guys can see that i am getting on with this and it's not wishful thinking My E-mail Address is Calvin.hall@muirheadaerospace.com the other big plus for me was that you said your able to drive your sim without the need for the Power steering pump working thats made life a lot easier are you happy with the performance of this setup.. got me some beefy motors as used on an electric bed and even if the motors cant be used becuse of their continuious use rating the leadscrew setup looks the business... Cheers guys keep it all coming and this sponge will soak it up in a helpfull sorta way

Thanks CW - that is a help. Glad to hear you're problems are getting fixed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12