Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Ryan,

That's what I've heard also elsewhere regarding FS Communicator. Will try it out and let you know my impressions too.
    Luis Gordo
    Instructor StationTM - www.iStationGordo.com

By the way, check out the info given at the FDS forum thread (http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/f...er=asc&start=0 )by Frans M. (bwr014) concerning AST. It sounds promising.
    Luis Gordo

25+ Posting Member

Hi:

Anyone have the last update for FS Communicator and the MAnual for FBW?

Thanks

Hi,

I've been trying the demo version of FS Communicator. It seems to replicate quite well the FBW protection systems, etc.

However, I can't manage to get a good performance in my system. Probably it's an issue concerning the FSUIPC polling rate. The exact problem I have is that the responses in FS9 seem to be somewhat delayed with respect to the sidestick inputs.

I have FSC running in a 700MHz system with WideFS and the USB joystick (Saitek X52) is connected to it. FS9 is running on a quite powerful PC.

Any suggestions or steps I might have missed on setup to avaoid such delays?

Thanks!!
    Luis Gordo

75+ Posting Member

Hi Luis,

The FS Communicator has a good monitor window both for displaying axis inputs and FS communication as well as all the other FBW functions.

Did you check if the polling rate gets into the "red" on the monitor window i.e. there is a delay in communicating with the FS PC.

cheers,
    Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

What I abserve with the polling rate is that is oscillates a lot. I have to lower a lot the FSUIPC mseg polling rate to keep the oscillations withing the green/amber area. Sometimes it does get into the red.

I guess it may be some network problem? Not sure. I was running on a PC with a Project Magenta program running too. Is at absolutely necessary to have it running alone on a networked PC?

Thanks!
    Luis Gordo

75+ Posting Member

Hi Luis,

I have the demo version running on a separate laptop myself. It's only a temporary measure until I buy the full version and then I will need to find a permanent home.

So I have not tried running it on a computer that has PM or some other wide client program already running on it. From the documentation, it does seem that it is very sensitive to any contention for network access. This means that even if the computer you are running it on (along-side PM) is very fast, it is still limited by how much of the network I/O it can get. If some other program is also trying to communicate on the same PC over the same network connection, then you can get delays.

It also says in the documentation that you could run it on a slow pc as long as it is on its own since it is not CPU hungry, just network delay sensitive.

I don't think it is possible to configure in wideclient how much priority to give one client program over another (maybe you could check in the documentation).

I guess you are using a 100 Mbit/s LAN with IP i.e. the recommended WideFS and PM setup?

Sorry - I know that's not much help.
    /Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

The computer I tested it on was always running a PM program. I haven't tried it running alone only with WideFS. The network runs fine otherwise.

I will try it out the way you suggest (you're right that the manual does strain not to use in conjunction with other progs demanding WideFS connection).

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
    Luis Gordo

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to update this thread and make a personal comment for anyone interested.....

(Leaving the PM vs AST battle to the side as both softwares are in my opinion great products but have functional items that need resolution)

As you know (Luis), I have been using a fully registered version of FSC and have posted about the benefits of taking lots of time to get fully familiar with it and tweak it out for maximum performance. It is feature laden although equally as complicated.

Lately I've noticed a few things in my setup that made me smile. Up to this point I haven't had an FCU so having the functionality of FSC's FBW has been paramount to being able to hand fly my sim like a real Airbus. One night a while back we selected strong, gusty winds and heavy turbulence, which up to that point I had never done before. While sitting there "hands off" watching things happen I noticed first how the airspeed trend arrow and airspeed were bouncing around, altitude tape and v/s needle were doing the same. I then noticed on the Flight Control page in my lower ECAM that the controls were moving around and the trim was changing. For the first time I came to the realization of just how well the FSC FBW program was doing it's job and that in fact all this stuff DOES work together extremely well when it's set up properly.

This week I took delivery of my FDS Dual EFIS/FCU and within minutes of plugging it in was flying with it. How neat it is to sit back and watch an entire flight happen from a plan in the MCDU. In my project, getting the FCU in place and being able to finish the glare shield portion represents the last major bulding block prior to enclosing things in a shell and turning my attention towards a wrap around visual system. I'm 14 months into the project and had originally estimated 4 years...I think I'm ahead....but I've been having too much fun to slow down.

Each time I have friends (most of whom are real pilots as am I, btw) over to fly (which is most of the time!) it's nice to stand back and take an overview of the whole sim running while others occupy the seats. You notice then only from that perspective how complex these projects really are and how much effort has been expended to make everything run seamlessly. I take just as much enjoyment out of watching my sim in action as I do flying it. Using the PM instructor station makes it actually a worthwhile training and currency experience ...as long as you keep the beer in check!

There are many fine hardware suppliers as well as software developers and we're all free to choose whom we support. Unfortunately in this hobby there also seems to be lots of politics and people who on the surface seem to know it all. After following things for a while now and reading carefully, sometimes these people whom you assumed were far ahead of you, actually turn out to be spending more time voicing their opinions and expounding their "vast knowledge" than they do working towards furthering their own project. Unfortunate. That is not to say that there aren't many great builders out there who constantly push the limits and break the ground by which we all benefit from. Kudos and thanks to them.

Here's hoping that people will all work hard, share their ideas, both good and bad, and work together to get over the many bumps in the road to the end that this neat hobby of our will grow and prosper. I hope everyone gets as much enjoyment form their projects as I do.

I totally agree with you Chris. I've been experimenting with the Demo version of FSC, and have found it to be REALLY impressive. You have to spend much time anyhow setting it up for your particular needs (ie. network performance, etc.). I haven't had enough time though to fully tweak it up yet.

As for today (without having AST's FBW module released yet) it really is the best solution for realistic FBW for the Bus.

Thanks Chris for your thoughts. Most appreciated.
    Luis Gordo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast