Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Reducing Altitude in Selected Mode Question

There is one thing which I think I am doing wrong in my sim. I hope Roberto (or anyone else ) can help me.

Let's suppose I am cruising at 24,000 feet and the a/c is in Managed Mode on all parameters.

Now I want to descend to 18,000 feet.

I enter 18,000 on the FCU. I can push the altitude knob to descend to 18,000 feet in Managed Mode but let's suppose I want to do it in Selected Mode. I am assuming I now pull the altitude knob. What should I do next? Should I then pull the V/S knob to tell the a/c the feet/minute descent I want (ignoring FPA for the moment). Does pulling the altitude knob automatically invoke the V/S window i.e do the dashes disappear in the V/S display or do they disappear only when I pull the V/S knob?

I hope I am making myself clear!

How is a climb/descent done on Selected Mode?

It's just that I really haven't got to grips with PM's FCU yet with this part of the flight and I want to make sure I am doing it right and also wheter PM's FCU is true to life.

Many thanks,

Darren Sudgen

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

HI Suggy,

I´m glad you asked this question... Ok you have both Modes Managed and Selected mode, Managed Descen is when the computer is basically flying the Aircraft and it calculates a Descent ¨Path¨ that it would follow to reach certain altitudes if there are constraints during the descent it will adjust the speed and play with it to achive the rights altitudes of teh constraints etc... It will also decelerate to 250kts below 10,000... Now in this mode the computer will calculate range of speeds to play with this will be shown in Magenta on the PFD this range will be the speed the Aircraft will be allowed to play with during the descent! This is Descent Mode...

Now Open Descent can also be achieved in Manage mode and basically this will acquire a Target speed and follow it all the way Down! Now you can also pull Open Descent and start your descent Using Selected Speed meaning that you will start the descent at a certain speed and then Increase the speed to Increase the Pitch this will make your descent steeper and faster example 4000 feet per min to 6000 feet per min!! Now you don´t need to turn the V/S Wheel to do this that is a separate MOde in these Modes Descent and Open Descent the plne respects speeds while in V/S the plane will respect that regardless of the speed, Meaning that below 10,000 with a high Vertical Speed descent you might have more than 250 kts and get the FAA call you So in this case is better to ise open descent or selected Speed at 250 to get the plane down!

The V/S window will mantain the same unless you select a vertical speed and pull or it goes to a Reversion.

Haven´t never tried Magenta at least not for the Bus... Just Boeing But these are some basic concepts you need to know to get that plane to the ground the way you want!

Hope this helps!! Man these questions are getting tougher each time!! Hope I can help you guys a bit more!

Regards.

Roberto

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

This is ABSOLUTELY fantstic information. Well put Roberto

Thank you, roberto.

It's very much appreciated.

I'm sure I have a 1001 other questions to ask....erm.....

Darren

10+ Posting Member

Hi,

If I may, I have some follow up questions..

If I am using Managed Open Descent (if that is the correct terminology), am I correct in thinking that the FMA indications for ALT and selected flight level will be in Blue. If I have speed set in managed mode would you expect speed constraints to be met or not whilst in this descent mode.

Also, once I have selected a Managed Open Descent, is it posible to change the descent back to fully managed and if so how?

Many Thanks
    Andy

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Hi Andy,

[If I am using Managed Open Descent (if that is the correct terminology), am I correct in thinking that the FMA indications for ALT and selected flight level will be in Blue. If I have speed set in managed mode would you expect speed constraints to be met or not whilst in this descent mode.]

Yes Managed Open Descent is correct simply managed and the Descent is in Open Descent!! Yes in the PFD the selected altitude will show in blue remember Blue is Always Selected Magenta is Managed! Yes for the plane to meet the contraints you´ll have to fly it with DESCENT MODE and it would go to ALT CNSTR that means that it will respect the constraints during the approach or descent with open Descent in managed mode it will only follow a predetermined speed in set in the MCDU PERF page! Now if you are in heading you will only have OPEN DESCENT MODE or OPEN CLIMB mode...

[Also, once I have selected a Managed Open Descent, is it posible to change the descent back to fully managed and if so how?]

Yes to change back to descent Just PUSH THE ALT knob and it will go to Descent backa again if you are not in heading mode and speed is managed!!

Regards,

Roberto Soriano

10+ Posting Member

Many Thanks Roberto.

That expalins it, i did indeed have HDG selected.

Cheers
    Andy