Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Dave

Thanks for this info, as I have kindof been thinking about this unit for a while. Now I know what to expect if I get one.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how you wired your set-up?

Many Thanks

Rob

Cockpit layout/wiring

Quote Originally Posted by mounty View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how you wired your set-up?

Many Thanks

Rob
    I could send you an attachment with full cockpit build details if you wish?
    What email address do you want me to use?

TONY

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. My question really was for Dave and how he re-routed his external system through ATC. I am still in the early stages of building and will lok at more sophisticated set-ups later.

Many Thanks

Rob

Rob, sorry I thought your queston was for Tony too.

When you buy ATC you get three stereo leads, one from your sound card to ATC, then one from ATC to your speakers and or Amplifier, the third one is from the microphone socket on your sound card to the ATC.

Wire all them up and your off, I bought two double splitters to plug in to the front face of the ATC unit therefore splitting the head phones and mics to two sets.

However you need to turn the main volume produced from your sound card as low as you can, so that the squelch knob on the ATC unit works efficiently.

By that I mean, if you turn 'up' the squelch it stops the engine/cockpit noises coming through the headphones, but still allows it through your main speakers, you only hear things through the headphones when the "FS ATC" speaks, however as we all know when we open the throttles for take off the engine/runway/cockpit sound noise all increase, so that overcomes the squelch setting.

So if you reach maximum on the squelch setting and the engine noises still come through, then you need to reduce the main volume further.

If you are now getting the picture?

So we are left with a very low volume level from you sound card, however this is enough to let a decent 5.1 surround and or amplifier system boost the volume back up, bearing in mind that you place the amplifier 'after' the ATC card, so it doesn't have any effect on what you have set it at, so it works!!

However as I said earlier, the reproduction is very poor, the "FS ATC" is hear-able but distorted, plus, when "FS ATC" does speak you also get the engine/cockpit/environment noises too......... and when you speak to your co-pilot that also comes through the main speakers, so as you can imagane its not ideal.

I have spoken with a friend of mine who is a Digital Televison engineer, he says to do what we are trying to do is very difficult to achieve with high grade equipment too.....!

So if there are any sound technicians and I dont mean someone that adjusts sounds in a reacording studio, you know what I mean, that can do this, then please let me be your first customer to buy one (providing its at a reasonable price?

Hope this helps?

Daveanne

150+ Forum Groupie

Many Thanks Dave. Will try your way and see what it works like.

Rob

Sound Split

Quote Originally Posted by Daveanne View Post
    Rob, sorry I thought your queston was for Tony too.

When you buy ATC you get three stereo leads, one from your sound card to ATC, then one from ATC to your speakers and or Amplifier, the third one is from the microphone socket on your sound card to the ATC.

Wire all them up and your off, I bought two double splitters to plug in to the front face of the ATC unit therefore splitting the head phones and mics to two sets.

However you need to turn the main volume produced from your sound card as low as you can, so that the squelch knob on the ATC unit works efficiently.

By that I mean, if you turn 'up' the squelch it stops the engine/cockpit noises coming through the headphones, but still allows it through your main speakers, you only hear things through the headphones when the "FS ATC" speaks, however as we all know when we open the throttles for take off the engine/runway/cockpit sound noise all increase, so that overcomes the squelch setting.

So if you reach maximum on the squelch setting and the engine noises still come through, then you need to reduce the main volume further.

If you are now getting the picture?

So we are left with a very low volume level from you sound card, however this is enough to let a decent 5.1 surround and or amplifier system boost the volume back up, bearing in mind that you place the amplifier 'after' the ATC card, so it doesn't have any effect on what you have set it at, so it works!!

However as I said earlier, the reproduction is very poor, the "FS ATC" is hear-able but distorted, plus, when "FS ATC" does speak you also get the engine/cockpit/environment noises too......... and when you speak to your co-pilot that also comes through the main speakers, so as you can imagane its not ideal.

I have spoken with a friend of mine who is a Digital Televison engineer, he says to do what we are trying to do is very difficult to achieve with high grade equipment too.....!

So if there are any sound technicians and I dont mean someone that adjusts sounds in a reacording studio, you know what I mean, that can do this, then please let me be your first customer to buy one (providing its at a reasonable price?

Hope this helps?

Daveanne
    To whom ever it may concern!

I get confused as to who I am writing to!
    As I said in a previous post, I have managed to get a reasonable sound split by taking the sound card signal to the normal PC amp speakers/ headphones in the usual way, and then taking a parallel connection from where the sound card signal enters the PC amp - either via passive mixer circuit which removes most of the top frequencies, or alternatively through a graphics equaliser to an extra amplifier to the "Woofers".
    Juggle the settings, and it works not bad.

TONY

Boeing

Hi guys,

Excellent topic this. My way around this was to run a seperate version of FS via wideview or FSM. I think FSM can still be found on avsim. I turned all sounds down on the FS2 box with the exception of ATC. I then used splitters available from my PC store to split between seperate speakers or headphones. I eventually replaced the FS2 setup with Radar Contact on the same second box with widefs. I made a patch splitter for routing the boom mike back to the primary fs box which also ran voicebuddywhich then sent commands to radar contact. Then by flipping a toggle It routed the boom to the second box that ran squakebox or teamspeak. So i can talk online or offline.

James

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Im wondering about using the ATC unit from GoFlight with Vox ATC.

That program has really gotten my attention after out charity event this past weekend.

The guys loved it, but when I told them about Vox ATC, they were really interested in that. My only issue is to decide if to buy it now for FS9, or to wait till I can use FSX/11 since it is kinda expensive.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

esound.DLL

I'm trying to configure esound to route sounds in FS2004. No luck yet. The manual is fairly clear, but I must be missing something. Has anyone here been successful with it?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast