75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Wireing and Soldering

Hi,
    This may be the most stupid Q of the year, but if i dont ask it i will never progress.

I dont mind admitting that I am totaly confused as to how i need to wire/solder the switches to the Phidget cards.

The enclosed is selfexplanatory and gives a great explanation for 3 pole switches, BUT i also have switches with 4, with 6 and with 9 poles.. how are these to be wired?

Todays project is to wire up a common connection for all the switches to a 5volt powr supply which should be easy enough...i hope..
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

A multiple pole switch is wired like any other simple switch. It's just able to control more circuits.

On the four pole switches in some Boeing panels, the window heat switch for example, the switch may turn on the window heat, the indicator lamp, the overheat detectors, and arm the reset circuit. The one switch is controlling four different, but related circuits.

The same for many others too. In some cases not all of the poles are used.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

I dont mind admitting that I am totaly confused as to how i need to wire/solder the switches to the Phidget cards.

The enclosed is selfexplanatory and gives a great explanation for 3 pole switches, BUT i also have switches with 4, with 6 and with 9 poles.. how are these to be wired?

Peter
    Peter,

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but here is a diagram of 2 configurations - SPDT (Single Pole-Double Throw) and DP3T (Double pole - Triple Throw).
    On the document you enclosed it shows that the common contact on the switch is going to the +5V power supply as opposed to the way I show it going to the common terminal in the card, and the card common terminal (G) is connected to the Ground on the power supply.

Both ways are OK and depend on what you want to feed to the digital inputs - a positive voltage or a ground. I am feeding a ground and your document shows it is feeding a positive input. Same thing really except reverse logic.

The principle would be the same for any other switch types. Hope this helps, but PM me if you need additional help.

Maurice]