Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Network problem?? causing applications freeze

I have 6 networked computers in my SIM. Prior to my dismantling everything to build & install my rudders everything was working fine. After putting everything back together, SIM worked OK for about an hour and then all **** broke loose.

I'm now getting intermittent lockups of all PM & Phidgets applications. It can work from one to 5 hours and then all applications freeze except FS9. I can access all PCs via VNC viewer so network connectivity seems OK and there us nothing abnormal in all event viewers. I can recover by restarting the various wide clients & applications without re-booting PCs.

I replaced the Ethernet switch where all PCs are connected with no change. The only error indication I am getting is in the wide server log in the main FS PC ((I use UDP instead of TCP as is recommended). Here is a typical error:

20081000 Connected to computer "SIM3" running WideClient version 6.710 (IP=192.168.1.103) UDP
    20081000 **** ERROR! Sumcheck or length fails on received socket 7624 block, len=206 (time=0)
    20086156 Connected to computer "SIM4" running WideClient version 6.700 (IP=192.168.1.104) UDP.

So, can anyone offer any suggestions on what to try next? I'm rapidly running out of ideas here. My next attempt will likely be to use a new Ethernet card in main FS PC instead of built in Ethernet port on motherboard. I doubt this is the problem as there is no other indication of network problems on main FS PC. Access to Internet is quick and nothing unusual in event viewer.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially from Peter Dowson whom I hope can shed some light about the wide server log.

Thanks,
    Maurice

Mycockpit, Inc. CTO

Errors

" replaced the Ethernet switch where all PCs are connected with no change"

Id look at the cables, there cheeper then a router and Nic's

Do a netstat -a at a cmd prompt and see what it shows.

Post the info here if needed.

Dee

Hit anyuser to continue.

[QUOTE=Deesystems;44239]"
    Id look at the cables, there cheeper then a router and Nic's.

Do a netstat -a at a cmd prompt and see what it shows.

Dee
    QUOTE]

Hi Dee,
    Replacing the cable between the main FS PC & the Ethernet switch was the first thing I tried. All other cables cannot all be bad.
    As far netstat -a is concerned, I'll try that next time I power up & fly (it has been a very long day already

Thanks,
    Maurice

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    I use UDP instead of TCP as is recommended.
    Recommended where? UDP is faster for reliable networks but awful for bad networks as there's little error checking and no recovery built in. This is actually what I say in the Dox for WideFS some place.

Also, avoid UDP if you have any "loops" in the Network, as happens for instance with a Firewire looped daisy-chain arrangement. What can happen, if there are two or more routes between two of the PCs, is that blocks can arrive out of order. TCP doesn't allow that, it puts them back into order.

You are also using well out-of-date versions of WideClient (at least -- presumably WideServer too?). Current is 6.75 (with a 6.756 version of WideClient only due this week).

Not that any of these things will solve network errors, though TCP may provide recovery and thereby hide them of course.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I can't remember where I read about UDP but I'm sure I did not dream it, although I may have 'overlooked' the possible issues with that protocol since one is always looking for better performance in this damn 'hobby' of ours

I figured this was a simple enough network that there shouldn't be any problems with UDP and it was working quite well until I took it apart and put it back together.

But anyway, I'm not about to disregard your suggestions. I will change it back to TCP and update my wide clients and hope it cures my problems.

Thanks a lot for your fast response. Greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Maurice

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    I figured this was a simple enough network that there shouldn't be any problems with UDP and it was working quite well until I took it apart and put it back together.
    Yes, I agree. Something has been changed which makes it less reliable. Maybe it is also too unreliable for TCP. Even if it isn't, if it is forcing TCP to adopt recovery actions (e.g. re-sending blocks) then it could obviously impinge upon performance.

Normally a local home network should be easily fully reliable for UDP to be fault-free. TCP. of ocurse, is designed for traffic around the world, hence the checking and recovery.

So really you do need to try to find out which of your components is not as good as it used to be.

But anyway, I'm not about to disregard your suggestions. I will change it back to TCP and update my wide clients and hope it cures my problems.
    It's less likely to cure them than hide them. If that gives you adequate performance then it may not matter that much.

Regards

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dowson View Post

It's less likely to cure them than hide them. If that gives you adequate performance then it may not matter that much.
    Regards
    Pete
    Well Pete, I did the changes you suggested and I ran the simulator for more than 8 hours without any more problems. I don't know if this was a cure or merely hiding the problem, but 'frankly my dear, I don't give a damn' . It's working and I am a happy camper again.

I did get 6 errors below in the log file over the 8 hours, but this is nothing compared to the many dozens I was getting before.

1113203 **** ERROR! Sumcheck or length fails on received socket 7568 block, len=39 (time=1289734)
    3905656 **** ERROR! Sumcheck or length fails on received socket 7568 block, len=81 (time=4082156)
    4483672 **** ERROR! Sumcheck or length fails on received socket 7568 block, len=39 (time=4660125)
    13762406 **** ERROR! Sumcheck or length fails on received socket 7568 block, len=81 (time=13938609)
    18487000 **** ERROR! Sumcheck or length fails on received socket 7568 block, len=81 (time=18663076)
    21713969 **** ERROR! Sumcheck or length fails on received socket 7568 block, len=81 (time=21889953)

Anyway, thanks again Pete for your help.

Best regards,
    Maurice

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Are those the errors Peter spoke of that TCP fixes automatically?
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!