Thread: Hows is Going?

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hows it Going?

Hows it going everyone. I'm new here and haven't had much experience in building home cockpits, but I hope that throughout my stay here I will gain some much need experience

I am currently looking into making a Learjet 45 simulator, and I have started doing some research. Could anyone help point me in the right direction by posting some websites or articles that have some information about sizes and specifications and dimensions of the cockpit? I would like to make it as close to the real size as possible.

Many thanks

kane

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Welcome to the site. Tomlin is the resident Lear builder. He'll jump in here shortly with some help I'm sure.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hey Kane, good to see you here!

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Welcome aboard Kane. Glad you can join in

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Airbus

Welcome aboard Buddy!!!

10+ Posting Member

thanks for the welcome guys

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I don't know where Tomlin is, I figured he'd been in on this post by now.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Mega Learjet 45 response thread! :-)

Here I am! Welcome to the forum Kaneo, I was real busy over the weekend, hence my lack of a generally quick response.

I am definately no expert at anything, but since Michael (Boeing Skunk Works) called me the resident Learjet builder, I will be glad to try to fill that role

Pretty much everything you need to build a Learjet 45 sim to very near scale is right here under your nose. I have posted many, MANY files for the various parts of the Learjet 45 in the Downloads section. Some of the files include:

MIP/FGC/Landing Gear Handle drawings
    Operational Info directly from the real Bombardier handbook
    some other info

You are also most welcomed to my website, located at www.flightlevel180.org and that will show you lots of pictures and also many of the pictures have captions that explain what is going on.

Be sure to look at the Links page on my site for other LJ45 builders, as they have some great ideas too that have helped me.

Some points to ponder with your build-

I have a mix of FDS SYS3 and GoFlight RMKs that are working beautifully together for the most part for all of my interfacing. I would like to encourage you (or any other LJ builder) to consider Gwyn (WestOzy's) 85% Rule- Use the best available parts and techniques to make your sim up to 85% as real as the real aircraft, and dont beat your head against the wall trying to get it to look so real that you have no fun or run waay over budget. A good example of this for the LJ is that right now, there's no commercially available panels, but different suppliers are considering doing it. As a result of this, you may have to make your own and last night I discovered that the small pushbutton switches supplied from GoFlight in their Remote Mount Kits (RMKs) that they are nearly the perfect size of the EFIS buttons for the Learjet. Guess what? I was GOING to make those buttons out of the right sized acrylic bar, much like the rest of my Korry switches, but when I made the delightful discovery that the supplied buttons from GF were very close, I said, 'forget making those suckers- I will just use these buttons here'. That's a good example of the 85% rule, and when building an aircraft that is not widely supported by commercial suppliers, it's a wonderful rule to work around.

Also, you will most likely discover that unless you use the EPIC (very old, outdated, and cumbersome but very flexible) interface system, you will not be able to interface every function in the Learjet 45. However, you will be able to interface:

BATT
    ENG 1/2 Start
    GEN 1/2
    Avionics
    Landing Gear
    All TQ functions
    OFF/TAXI/LANDING Lts
    OFF/BEACON/STROBE Lts
    NAV Lts

AP Master
    FD/CRS SEL
    NAV HLD
    HDG SEL/HDG HLD
    YD
    ALT SEL/ALT HLD
    SPD SEL/SPD HLD
    VS SEL
    APP HLD

Pitot Heat/Anti Ice
    Seat Belts

...and some others. These are all pretty basic, but when combined with the Project Magenta PMRJ software, it all looks very nice and is lots of fun, even with my project just really getting off the ground now.

Have a look at my site and then ask any question you have.

Another thing- some people have mentioned that with my monitor setup, I cant use analogue standby gauges. That is true, the LCD monitors that I use take up the entire space behind the MIP (but not the Lower panels) but I did that because it was simpler and cheaper in the long run. However, I didnt really want to spend the money (lots of it) on the 3 analogue standbys and I will either A) have paper gauges behind bezels, or B) use the PMRJ standby ISIS type gauge, which by the way, has been developed and certified for use in the Learjet 45. Ive just never seen it in a photo, but have read about it.

Anyhow, this is long enough- best of luck.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

10+ Posting Member

thanks a lot Tomlin, I will be sure to visit your website, thanks a lot for the information.