Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing 727 Partial Panel

I mounted the monitor behind the MIP this morning and have been playing around with Panel Studio for a couple of hours now.

The monitor is a tight fit under the Korry indicators, but I wedged it in. I took off the factory bracket for the base and used the screw holes to attach a couple of angle brackest that I opened up slightly to a greater angle to match the panel angle.

If this monitor would have been only a millimeter or small fraction of an inch taller it would have never fit. Talk about cuting it close.

You can see the obvious gap from the monitor bezel and I hope to take care of all of that with he instrument bezels when I get around to buildng them.

The ADI is smaller than it should be as is the altimeter, but compromises had to be made in order to use a monitor behind a real 727 MIP.

Now I just have to play with Panel Studio some more to get my pop-up windows and sound included. I haven't figured out how to do this yet.

Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

That is starting to look really cool! Seeing the gauges from Panel Studio through the MIP really brings it to life!

What are you using as your base 737 model is FS ? The Dreamfleet 727 is one of my favourite addons of all time but it always frustrated me that the panel can't be detached from the outside view - or have you found a way to do this ?
    David R
    Durham, England

1979 Mooney M20J Cockpit builder ......

Quote Originally Posted by David Rogers View Post
    That is starting to look really cool! Seeing the gauges from Panel Studio through the MIP really brings it to life!

What are you using as your base 737 model is FS ? The Dreamfleet 727 is one of my favourite addons of all time but it always frustrated me that the panel can't be detached from the outside view - or have you found a way to do this ?

The 727 main panel is a separate window from the outside view just as in the FS aircraft. Panel studio just creates the new panel that can be moved and resized just as any FS panel.

The frustrating part is trying to get the rest of the panels to be recognized
    through Panel Studio. I'm no programmer by a long shot and I barely can comprehend what I'm doing.

I have the overhead panel popup working, but once it's opened by the added 'OH' icon, it won't close. All of the switches and guages are missing too so nothing works. It's there, but it isn't.

Having to refer to the GPS for RNAV work, I did get that working correctly, but that's all so far, and I suspect it was because it's a stock FS gauge.

Working with the DF panels is not so easy or straightforward.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

150+ Forum Groupie

I've been using/trying to learn panelstudio as well.

I'm having a hard time of it too ! Some of the gauges I wanted to use from a Convair580 were on a photorealistic panel. Which is to say that the gauges were actually built right on to the MIP,, using the mip as a common bmp for all the instruments ??
    For example,, when I pull the airspeed gauge,, all that is there is a needle and the numeric tape bmp,, no face,, the airspeed face is actually part of the background/mip bmp.

I tried to add a new face bmp to the gauge but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
    I did get one working but I had too create a new background bmp, just the airspeed face,,, BUT,, now the airspeed gauge is actually its own pop up panel. I would much rather have all gauges as seperate and add them to one pop up panel.

Also ,, because of my very limited knowledge of xml , I have to resort to finding guages that are VERY similar to what I want (needle travel and position) so I can reverse engineer the guage to make it work the way I want.

I know that most people here are using PM or like glass cockpits so if anyone knows a good forum or tutorials on Panelstudio or gauge making,, please pass it on.

P.S. Another thing I noticed about Panelstudio is that if the gauge isn't xml or in a cab file,, studio won't find it or open it ?

10+ Posting Member

Skunk Works:

What a neat project. Spitfire 9 and I have a big project ahead with the Convair 580 FTD/Sim ... Spitfire is working hard on the software, while I'm doing the electronics and handling the political and money side of the project.

Should be neat to see this come together and when we actually get moving on bolting all the hardware together next spring, it will make a huge contribution to the training of firebombing pilots engaged in forest fire suppression operations.

All help in the area of MIP software is greatly appreciated, as ultimately it will be for a great cause and literally will save lives.

All the best,
    Lee Smith

I haven't gotten any farther than I was two hours ago.

I did verify that most of the instruments are working with the exception of the airspeed indicator and altimeter. I have no idea why they are not working. They are right out of the DF guage file. I guess to get any of this to work correctly I'll have to sign up for C++, and computer engineering courses at the local community college.

Sometimes I hate this damn hobby. SOB!!!:
    Boeing Skunk Works