Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Where I have to choose Runway to land with RNAV Transition

Hi
    I'am Newbie and yesterday I've made an online flight from LEAL to EDDL!Everything I can do is to plan the Flightplan about the VA Troute from Vatsim page and entering in CDU with airways !The problem is to choose the runway to land at destination airport!I can do it over the RTE-page as at the beginning or over the DEP/ARR-page but for EDDL I've found 3 pages with differnt entries like 23L ILS,23L,RNAV,STARS etc !When the ATC told me that Iwas cleared to KUBIM 23 Transition(KUBIM was the last LEGS-point before EDDL) !I was unable to do this and I didn't know what I had to do in this situation or in which order I have to entering what in the CDU?My build version of PM CDU is 388 and the Test Navdata 0704 from PM latest page !Could somebody helps me ?What do I have to enter in the CDU on the LEGS-page after KUBIM?

Best
    Michael
    Always Happy Landings

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

It's best to check ATIS 50 miles out and find out what the active is. This will give you an idea what transision you will follow in m\ to the runway.

In the situation you were in without knowing the transition or having the waypoints to program, it's best to just admit you are not prepared for the transition and ask for vectors for the transition.

Your waypoints for this transition are: DL426, DL428, DL429, DL430, DL450, DL452, DL454, and DL455. Unfortunately the chart does not give lat/lon but I don't know if you need that information with new nav computers. I know you'd need it for INS.

This transition can actually be flow non-RNAV, but they frown on that in real life. On VATSIM and IVAO you're lucky if they even check the remarks or equipment boxes on the FP. At any rate, the workload is higher and you need a plotter and the correct en-route chart and about three extra hands unless you're flying with a crew.

I fly into Dusseldorf frequently, but I'm strictly non-RNAV and rarely fly a transition unless vectors are given.

If you have never used charts in he past this would be a good time to get familiar with them, start using them, and not relying so much on that box in the forward radio rack to do your flying. Not meant as a slam, but it does help to be able to navigate as well as push buttons.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

One of the many things you have to do before preflight, is to check your weather at the departure airport, enroute and of course also on destination.
    With that info, you can already presume which approach you will going to make. (wind direction). In the CDU - during preflight - you can already, certainly for such short flights -entering that information.
    In the DEP/ARR page you will find the different approach types for the rwy's 'ILS23L - ILS23R, VOR23R etc.
    On the other site you see the different STAR routings. If you leave the airways at KUBIM then you may expect a KUBIM 23 arrival (STAR), and this is for both 23 L/R rwys.
    You can enter that one in the CDU aswell.
    The waypoints DL426, DL428, DL429, DL430, DL450, DL452, DL454, and DL455 normally should be in the navdata. But you may most of the times expect to get vectors to shorten this routes.

If KUBIM 23 is a very recent STAR procedure for EDDL, then it is possible that it is not available in the rather old NAVDATA on the PM page. Untill very recently there where big problems with the Navdata released by Navigraph and used with PM. That is the reason the test data was to be used. Recently with the latest 1007 navdata some problems seems to be solved, but no news about it has been released offically by PM.

When flying on VATSIM or IVAO online networks it is important to have the very latest navdata - enroute and approach charts, as the controllers are using the latest data.

When the iniatially STAR information isn't correct , then mostly you can change that around 50 mls before your T/D, after you checked the latest ATIS data provided by the controller. After that you start your crewbriefing.

At any moment of the flight, navdata (waypoints, routes, rwys) can be changed. The CDU is there to make the work of the pilot easier It is also very common, you will receive radar vectors by the controller to shorten certainly parts of the approach route. It is then sometimes easier to use the HDG SEL function of the MCP and navigate on N/D

B. RGds
    Michel
    general website : users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele
    my spaces: http://michelmvd.spaces.live.com/
    email : michelmvd@hotmail.com

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

OK!
    Thank you all for your answers and sorry for my bad english but Michel if I change the STAR just ahead of landing the CDU changed to the beginning LEGS-point ! I use the Boeing CDU build 388 ! I don't test the latest build 392 ! Do you have experience with the latest build!And for your information I don't have activated Preflight in the CDU-Inifile!What is the different of set this option to on?

Best
    Michael
    Always Happy Landings

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Preflight in the CDU basically requires you to fill in your position before the PFD and ND will show data, also it requires you to fill in your weights and fuel before you can get your V speeds.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Trev

Hi Micha,
    Trev answered the preflight part already. Also the V - speeds are included then.

What the return to the beginning of the legs-points concerned, well this was just one of the major problems with the navdata I mentioned in my first message.
    I recently used the NAVDATA update 0710 from Navigraph together with the latest CDU build available on the PM webpage (CDU392), and the testflights I did last weekend didn't reflect anymore most of the previous mentioned problems by the community. Unfortenately during my testflights I didn't add or changed a STAR. Some other users also reported good results.

But until now, PM did react to my testresults, so I don't know if the good behavior is just an isolated event or a real bug fix. Hope some news is coming up shortly.

B. rgds
    Michel
    general website : users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele
    my spaces: http://michelmvd.spaces.live.com/
    email : michelmvd@hotmail.com