Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Need Help: Matrox effect on runway landing lights

My Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital + Nvidia 8800GTS + Flt Sim X SP1 are working well now on three 19" LG monitors -- WITH ONE EXCEPTION. All the airport VASI landing lights now form a single bright spherical blur instead of sharply defined lights. They are unusable. Has anyone else run into this problem? I've tried changing various Flt Sim X settings, and even my monitor settings, but I still just get the bright spherical blurs.

These blurs are so bright that they even obscure the runways while on approach during daylight hours. What simple solution have I missed?

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

I would imagine the settings in the cfg file for FSX would be similar to that of fs9.

Have you tried this???

A) To get your runways configs light size add these line under fs9.cfg display:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales edge, center,end,touchdown,runways

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // scales VASI lights)
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0 // scales approach light bars
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales RAILs and ODALs)

More the value is lower, more the light will decrease in size, 0.5, 0.005 etc.

Trev

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Originally Posted by Trevor Hale
    I would imagine the settings in the cfg file for FSX would be similar to that of fs9.

Have you tried this???

A) To get your runways configs light size add these line under fs9.cfg display:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales edge, center,end,touchdown,runways

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // scales VASI lights)
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0 // scales approach light bars
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales RAILs and ODALs)

More the value is lower, more the light will decrease in size, 0.5, 0.005 etc.

Trev

Thanks for this response Trevor -- I hadn't tried that yet. I started looking through the FSX .cfg files for any that apply to lights but haven't found any yet. Should something be there already or am I supposed to just add these?

The runway and VASI lights worked just fine in regular 1-monitor mode; it's only in the 3-monitor mode that I have this problem. The weird thing is that ALL other lights look fine: stars, building lights, hangar lights, city lights, highway lights, etc. What could just effect the runway lights, taxi lights, and VASI? And, why haven't others had this same problem by now?

Summing up, I'm Flt Sim X Sp-1, Windows Vista, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, Nvidia 8800GTS, three LG 1933TR-SF monitors, all digital connections. I'm a pilot at heart -- not a computer whiz.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Other people have had the same problem in FSX. The lights you mention are on there own so it can just effect those. If Matrox has a forum you may want to go there or just do a Google search for the problem in FSX. There is a fix out there for it!
    Bob Reed

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mwcovey View Post
    Thanks for this response Trevor -- I hadn't tried that yet. I started looking through the FSX .cfg files for any that apply to lights but haven't found any yet. Should something be there already or am I supposed to just add these?

The runway and VASI lights worked just fine in regular 1-monitor mode; it's only in the 3-monitor mode that I have this problem. The weird thing is that ALL other lights look fine: stars, building lights, hangar lights, city lights, highway lights, etc. What could just effect the runway lights, taxi lights, and VASI? And, why haven't others had this same problem by now?

Summing up, I'm Flt Sim X Sp-1, Windows Vista, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, Nvidia 8800GTS, three LG 1933TR-SF monitors, all digital connections. I'm a pilot at heart -- not a computer whiz.
    No Problem. I had to add these as they were not in my fs9.cfg file.

Try it and set the values to a 0.5

It's worth a shot,

Trev

25+ Posting Member

I have the TH2Go analog version and when i first got it, all the lights in FS9 and FSX were blurred. I used the Scalar settings and this helped, but still the taxiway lights and the VASI were over size and blurry.

In the end i extracted the mipped image from Halo.bmp, gave it to a graphics guru friend of mine, she reduced the size of each of the 4 light images in it (preserving the exact center position of each light image) and then i re-mipped it with all the different levels.

This was after a lot of mails back and forth with a guy called James in the UK, that knows an amazing amount about mips etc. Without his advice, i would never have known how to extract the original bmp file in the first place.

Anyway, if anybody wants this Halo.bmp file, let me know and i can send it to you.

Regards
    Benja

Try this -(FDS Froum Triplehead2go Light scaling issue)
    Solution below-

Thanks taking the time to post, but I had already found the string you so kindly pointed me to and wasn't able to use it go get a good fix for FSX.

After a lot of additional research I found a posting in the simforums website that has a great fix for the TH2GO big lights problem. The person who posted it was Mephix. I thought I would share it here as I know that a lot of FDS folks are using the TH2GO, pertinent part follows:

" have found the fix for runway, taxiway, and UTX lighting scales for FS9/FSX users with triplehead2go. This fix will greatly reduce the obnoxiously over scaled lighting problems found when running FS9/FSX with TH2GO.

First go to www.flightsim.com or the sim website of your choice that offers free addon downloads and do a search for Brian Neitzels wonderful aht5.zip.

After downloading the file, open it and select the Textures folder, then the SMALL folder, then the "HALO choice1" folder. Now in your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Texture folder make a copy of your original halo.bmp and save it somewhere on your computer. Then replace the default halo.bmp with the one in the "Halo choice1" folder.

Now go to your control panel/folder options/view and select display hidden files and folders.

Now go to My Computer/Hard Drive/Documents and Settings/(your User)/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX/fsx CGF File. Back up this file before making changes. Once saved, open and add the following lines after: WideViewAspect=True

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.50
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.50
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.70
    RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.50

Save the new CGF File"

I did the fix last night and the result is fantastic. This seems to cure ALL of the light problems, including the large nav and strobe lights that show up on AI aircraft. Hopefully this will save someone else some slogging through the internet.
    IF it's not Boeing I ain't going!!!!!!

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Benja, would you mind uploading the Halo.bmp file to our download Library. Would be VERY MUCH appreciated

25+ Posting Member

Matt,

I have tried to upload the file several times, but i keep getting an "Invalid forum specified" error message.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks.

Regards
    Benja

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Quote Originally Posted by SAS541 View Post
    Matt,

I have tried to upload the file several times, but i keep getting an "Invalid forum specified" error message.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks.

Regards
    Benja
    Strange, I don't know Benja. Send the file to me by e-mail and I'll try uploading it. Send it to MattO@mycockpit.org

Thanks,
    Matt O.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast