Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Advice on projector

I am planning on purchasing a projector unit for my simpit PLUS for use in my business. (It is the business use that justifies the simpit use.) The unit I have chosen below FOR SURE will meet my needs for Powerpoint type presentations of ceramic art images. So the business use is taken care of.

The other situation is that the projector will spend time "stored" in my pit for use as the front captain's side windscreen view . I have a specific size for the projection that I need to to accomplish and a specific throw distance that I cannot exceed. That was a prime criteria for the selection of this particular unit.

The issue in the pit is the "short throw" I have available in my "compact" pit layout. I will have between 4 feet 6 inches and a maximum of 5 feet for the throw. From the image size calculators I have found for this unit, it will give me a 32" wide image at 4'6" with no zoom and a 38" wide image with 1.2 zoom. This 38" wide format is the perfect size for what I need. 32" is too narrow. I am not yet sure if I can "squeeze out" the 5' distance... the 4'6" is for sure.

The unit I am looking at is the Epson Powerlite 77C. 1024 x 768 XGA native, 2200 lumens, 400:1 contrast, 3LCD $630 delivered, new.

Any thoughts? What is the exact impact of using the zoom function?

The one alternate choice I have found to deal with the short throw is the Sanyo PLC-XW55. It gives a 34" wide image at the 4'6" throw. It has NO zoom function though.

Again.....your thoughts?

best,

........................john

PS: Budgetary issues do not allow the use of the really short throw [projectors on the market that are in the $2500 range. We're talking well under $1000.

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

I have a lens that could be attached the projector that would double your screen size. It is a video telephoto lens by Olympus.
    Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Where did you get that, and what did the unit cost?

best,

................john

MyCockpit Support Staff

I would suggest a higher contrast ratio, this affects the quality of your dark picture, eg night flying. If it is only a side view projector it might not matter so much. If you have three projectors with different contrast ratios I think you will notice it.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Some people may find this site very useful.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...calculator.cfm

150+ Forum Groupie

I used that projector calculator (very handy by the way,, Thanks) and decided on the Viewsonic Pj358. Seems to have a fairly short throw and according to the calculator will give me the screen size I need for the space available.

Quote Originally Posted by QF6228 View Post
    Some people may find this site very useful.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...calculator.cfm

QF,

Thanks. I already was using that site. That's how I picked the ones I did.... the projection image size calculator there is excellent.

best,

...............john

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    I would suggest a higher contrast ratio, this affects the quality of your dark picture, eg night flying.
    Gwyn,

It will be the front windscreen view and it will always be a single projector. No room (or budget) for more. Left side window will (eventually) be LCD screen. Right side same... or none at all. (My pit models only captain's side.....1/2 a cockpit. )

From my research, it seems that all of the lower priced LCD projectors have that same roughly 400:1 contrast ratio. You have to go to DLP projectors to get the typical 1000:1 that they seem to exhibit.

But in searching, the cheaper DLP projectors did not have the short throw capabilities I need to get the image size. I was already concerned about that C ratio.... but from the currently manufactured projectors...... they seem to be moving the cheaper ones away from large shorter throw image size. Probably as they start having more "specialty" short throw units available ....... that they can charge a LOT more for.

It seems to be a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation. Get one... not get the other. Either / Or.

best,

.................john

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire9 View Post
    I used that projector calculator (very handy by the way,, Thanks) and decided on the Viewsonic Pj358. Seems to have a fairly short throw and according to the calculator will give me the screen size I need for the space available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    I would suggest a higher contrast ratio, this affects the quality of your dark picture, eg night flying.

Spitfire and Gwyn,

Took a little of BOTH of your advice... and just ordered a Viewsonic PJ358. Larger image possibility with short throw, and a 500:1 contrast ratio...... which is the best I've seen on LCD projectors. Spent a little more than the Epson (sigh)..... but the machine likely will work better.

With a single bounce mirror in my pit with this one... I think I can get an astromnomically better display than I originally intended (lean forward and sideways not see edges) ... and with no mirror.....still get better than the Epson 77C.

The trade off was 2000 lumens on the Viewsonic versus 2200 with the Epson. But my pit is fully enclosed ... including the projection area... so that should not be too much of an issue.

Now I can't wait til it arrives. For two reasons.... I'm doing a presentation for a state of NH art educator's conference next weekend in which I will use it...... and FINALLY getting the forward display in the pit off a 19" LCD screen.

Thanks for the advice guys.

best,

................john

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

I work with a number of 2000 lumen projectors.. You would not be able to tell the difference even in a sunlit room... And being enclosed you can probably run the projector in economy mode and almost double the life of the bulb....
    Bob Reed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast