Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by jfuenmay View Post
    Hi all:

I tried v4.3.1, no longer red. The spoilers do have the problem with both the B737-400 model that comes with FS2004 ( the one I use ) and PMDG . I have used several servo travels. I end up sort of having to advance it manually until it kicks in and deploys. =
    Best regards.
    Joachim

My spoilers are working very well for me now, but I too had earlier major problems with the deployment of my spoilers. The deployment was very erratic at best and I never knew what they were going to do at anytime. Sometimes after landing, the spoilers would deploy and then retract & then re-deploy several times until they finally stopped. I am using an earlier release of the Phidgets software and I don’t know if the new version addresses this issue.

I finally figured out what was happening, or at least my explanation made sense to me. Unlike the throttle potentiometers which are ignored by FS9 when in A/T mode, the spoilers potentiometer is never ignored by FS9. So, what is happening is that FS9 is trying to set the spoiler position, which is moving the POT, but the POT is fed back into FS9 as a spoiler position.
    So, the servo reacts to these conflicting inputs by erratically moving the spoiler handle.

So I designed a simple logic circuit below that provides power to the servo only when the spoilers are armed and when the wheels touch the ground. Note that the spoiler down switch is open when the spoiler handle is fully retracted and only closes after the handle is moved away from the Down position.

This circuit above worked great with FS9 only, but I had some problems with the auto-retraction of the spoilers when re-applying power after landing when I started using PM software and the PDMG flight model. Occasionally, the spoilers would not retract after re-applying power (this was very intermittent). So I made another minor change (not in the circuit above) that fixed the problem.

If you do try this circuit and if you have the same problem, e-mail me and I will draw the modified version (I just added another switch which isolated the spoiler pot input once the spoilers were fully deployed so that only FS9 had control of the spoiler after landing).

Anyway, hope this helps some of you.

Maurice

25+ Posting Member

Thanks Maurice. I will see what I can do. I have to learn these things slowly and
    painfully. Not much experience with circuitry. I'll try getting
    some local help.

Regards.
    Joachim

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Okay, so Im thinking that this phidgets thing may be sorted now? I have an encoder that I (as you may recall) would not read or give a Vertical Speed value at all. Then I updated my FS2Phidgets software and Alan tried very hard to figure out the problem, when everyone started having issues.

Does everyone seem to be back online now with their FS2P and the .msi?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Quote Originally Posted by jfuenmay View Post
    Thanks Maurice. I will see what I can do. I have to learn these things slowly and
    painfully. Not much experience with circuitry. I'll try getting
    some local help.

Regards.
    Joachim
    Just one more thing. This is working very well for me, but I'm sure there must be other solutions out there and probably some easier than mine. I did this almost 2 years ago and many things have changed/improved since then, so I'd be surprised if there isn't a better solution by now. Many people now have motorized throttles and spoilers and I'm sure most of them did not use my idea.

Good luck,
    Maurice

builder

Joachim, Maurice,

Have look at FS2Phidgets Help folder "Configuring Component" topics on "Circuits" and "Logic Variables". Maurice's circuit can be emulated using these two tools. Examples in topics are for a Spoiler Handle and a Ground Unsafe Warning for a Boeing 737.

The Unsafe Warning condition is modelled with a sample ini file as follows:

A takeoff configuration warning is armed when on the ground and either or both thrust levers are advanced for takeoff.

An intermittent takeoff warning will sound and an annunciator will illuminate for any of the following conditions:
    · Stabilizer trim not in the green band range.
    · Trailing edge flaps are not in the flaps 1 through 15 takeoff range.
    · Speed brake lever is not in the DOWNposition.
    · Spoilers not down with the speedbrake lever in the DOWNposition.
    · Parking brake set.

Regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Dyer View Post
    Joachim, Maurice,

Have look at FS2Phidgets Help folder "Configuring Component" topics on "Circuits" and "Logic Variables". Maurice's circuit can be emulated using these two tools. Examples in topics are for a Spoiler Handle and a Ground Unsafe Warning for a Boeing 737.

Alan,
    Where were you when I needed you? I'm way too old to wait for you to catch up and provide the things I need when I need them.
    I know... the price is right, but still... can't you speed things up a bit?

Maurice

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Joachim, Maurice,

The Unsafe Warning condition is modelled with a sample ini file as follows:

A takeoff configuration warning is armed when on the ground and either or both thrust levers are advanced for takeoff.

An intermittent takeoff warning will sound and an annunciator will illuminate for any of the following conditions:
    · Stabilizer trim not in the green band range.
    · Trailing edge flaps are not in the flaps 1 through 15 takeoff range.
    · Speed brake lever is not in the DOWNposition.
    · Spoilers not down with the speedbrake lever in the DOWNposition.
    · Parking brake set.

Regards,
    Alan
    Alan,

I can't WAIT to have the time to get this new version installed and sorted out!!! THANKS for all the work you put into this ...and for sharing it with us all.

best,

...............john

builder

Maurice,

If it wasn't for trailblazers like yourself inspiring us slower types we wouldn't be where we are today. I would never have thought up solutions without this input.

There are definite advantages for builders to wire up circuits as you have done. Is relatively inexpensive and easy to set up (after someone like yourself has spent many days figuring out circuitry) and is not subject to vagaries of software (bugs, outdated versions, etc).

Regards,
    Alan.

Maurice,

If it wasn't for trailblazers like yourself inspiring us slower types we wouldn't be where we are today. I would never have thought up solutions without this input.

Alan.
    Alan,

You're too kind, but without your fantastic software which you offer freely (very rare in today's world), my throttle would likely be just a few sticks with some potentiometers and some switches.

So, thank you for your trailblazing work. I'm just someone who jumped on-board knowing full well that without you at the helm, I would have been up the proverbial s..t-creek without a paddle (or at least without a throttle)

There are also many others here & elsewhere who have contributed far more than me and who have inspired me & others with their ingenuity & resourcefulness. This is truly a global effort and I'm sure everyone involved in this hobby has benefited in some way or other from the contributions of others.

So, kudos to everybody.

Maurice

25+ Posting Member

OK Alan Maurice et. al:

I will be doing some tuning this weekend and I will report back to you
    all. I know that Alan's work is an invaluable effort for the community.
    As an (aficionado) programmer I certainly know the time and effort
    is given to these "liitle big" projects. My hat is off to you Alan.

Joachim

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast