Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

The forum isn't for arguing so lets just do whatever we want. If you want to buy the panels go ahead! Doesn't bother me. All im saying is marely that there are cheaper options on the current market that can be used. In fact i have 2 of the panel modules myself. Please dont accuse me of anything i havn't done and lets just get on with why we are here shall we?

Geremy.
    Last edited by Geremy Britton; 11-29-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: moderation

75+ Posting Member

ok thanks, i'll check on the website of desktop aviator. Isn't is possible to work with the Hagstrom KE72 card? I have here a spare one.
    Phil.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Phil.. If you have a Hagstrom.. yes they will work!!
    Bob Reed

75+ Posting Member

ok Bob, i'll give it a try this evening. I let you know.
    Phil.

Keyboard Emulation

Quote Originally Posted by 737 Gez View Post
    PLEASE READ: interfaces like this eg from desktop aviator are EXACTLY the same as a keyboard card. no matter how cheap do not waste your money the answer is right under your nose! - literally.

Take a look at this video. I was wondering at first but it is so easy you would have to be absolutely stupid not to be able to do it its more or less fool proof.

Take out the card and solder on the toggle switches you need ( you can only realy use toggle switches as in momentry as in the desktop aviators interface.)

once soldered on flight simulator will pick up the switch presses just like a normal keyboard press because basically the computer thinks you are just pressing a button on the keyboard but you are flicking a swich!

This is definatly the business and total amount free or minimal cost loads of people are throwing out old keyboards nowadays.

the keyboard will need to be a wired one i dont think wireless keyboards work.

Take a look at the video this explains it in better detail.

Trust me - its amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMwxrVXTH5A
    Before I got "sophisticated" and bought a Hagstrom, I converted a keyboard in the way you describe. I used the plastic sheets to trace all the functions of all the keys presses, and made a data sheet so that I could refer to it to make my connections. I next fixed the connection panel to a ply panel, and soldered wires to each of the brass pins. The other ends of the wires went to screw connector strips and were labelled. All I had to do was connect a button (for instance) to the the two connectors representing a "G", and I could press the button installed wherever I liked in the cockpit for gear operation.
    There are less connectors than actual keyboard functions, but some connecting points are common to different inputs.
    This worked fine for a while, but had it's limitations.

TONY.

150+ Forum Groupie

Seems like a simple and cheap way to make yourself 20 normal keys. But for more complex scenarios, Hagstrom is the keyboard interface of choice.

But apart from that, 'pit builders should look elsewhere. I prefer Opencockpits where FDS SYS cards can't do the job. I haven't tried Phidgets yet, but they might be a very good choice too.

If you want loads of inputs and have no clues on electronics, then buy a SYS card from Flightdeck Solutions. They can be used with ANY KIND of switches - momentary or on/off. And the configuration is so simple that even I managed to do it (I even finished setting up my entire overhead panels in little over 30 minutes!!!).

The product mentioned in the first post is nothing more than a keyboard encoder with 20 inputs. The only reason to buy this product is the fact that it is cheap.

I, on the other hand, would prefer to have switches that resemble the real functionality. That means: The switch stays in ON postition when it is on. Not a momentary thingy that rests in the middle. And that means Hagstrom.

My 2 cents.

Keyboard Emulator

Quote Originally Posted by vidarf View Post
    Seems like a simple and cheap way to make yourself 20 normal keys. But for more complex scenarios, Hagstrom is the keyboard interface of choice.

But apart from that, 'pit builders should look elsewhere. I prefer Opencockpits where FDS SYS cards can't do the job. I haven't tried Phidgets yet, but they might be a very good choice too.

If you want loads of inputs and have no clues on electronics, then buy a SYS card from Flightdeck Solutions. They can be used with ANY KIND of switches - momentary or on/off. And the configuration is so simple that even I managed to do it (I even finished setting up my entire overhead panels in little over 30 minutes!!!).

The product mentioned in the first post is nothing more than a keyboard encoder with 20 inputs. The only reason to buy this product is the fact that it is cheap.

I, on the other hand, would prefer to have switches that resemble the real functionality. That means: The switch stays in ON postition when it is on. Not a momentary thingy that rests in the middle. And that means Hagstrom.

My 2 cents.
    As a matter of fact, you can achieve more than 20 inputs, but I only mentioned the idea in case it was of any interest to simmers just starting up - or maybe low on funds? Of course, the best route is Hagstrom.

TONY

150+ Forum Groupie

As I said: A cheap way to make 20 keys. But for more complex scenarios, Hagstrom will be better.
    The reason why I say this is: KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid! Meaning that one should allways try to use the simplest way to achieve a goal.

But it is allways good to know about new products! And this is definitely NOT a bad product!

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Re: New Interface on the market

Just get the 2120 from Desktop aviator, it comes programed to generate a pulse which will allow you to add toggle switches.

I purchased the 2040 and found on you tube a way to add a reed relay and a capacitor to create the pulse for the 2040 model. I am going to try this and save 50 bucks.

Tonight I just built a panel with 8 button (spring buttons "Normally Open") and now I have buttons for autopilot on/off, spd hold, alt hld, pretty much any on/off function can be programed.

I also added a LED light to indicate power, the 2040 has a 5V and grnd, I would imagine you could wire the LED to a switch, but may only work with the 2120 model on a SPDT switch. I'll post some pics later!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123