10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Outside view: screen setup.. ideas?

I just made a scetch of my loft from the side, and how my pit-to-be should be fitted. Allthough it will fit the general dimensions, I am having a little trouble fitting the screen, to be used for the outside view.

I am getting inspired by the idea presented here: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9188, to use mirrors in order to cover a good throwing distance within limited space. But there must be other possibilities than projectors right? Ideas?

Attached is a picture showing how it will look like.

Not really keen on using a 32" LCD for each window, since its expensive and I have to modify the design of the front windows to 90 degrees in order for the viewing angle from the inside to the LCD to be correct.

About 32" LCD's, would an LCD TV with the correct inputs be a good option? LCD TV's are -a lot- less expensive than 32" LCD computer monitors but I am wondering about the picture quality.

Your input would be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Mycockpit.org

LCD TVs are usually limited to a measly 1024 x 768 resolution. Why I'm not sure since mine is also an HDTV with a much higher capability. It obviously has to do with the type of signal input and how the manufactuer wanted to build it. Too sad.

I found a sweet deal of 3 17' LCD monitors on sale and picked them all up for right about $200 American. All 3 are the same make and model so it makes it much easier to work them into the sim. Now I just need to find a house to move into so I can get my sim out of storage.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

10+ Posting Member

I prefer 1280x1024 but 1024x768 wouldn't be too bad. There are also a lot of 32" LCD TV's that go for 1366x768, but I dont want to stretch my system too far.

Putting 1280x1024 into a TV with native 1366x768 will most likely be bad for picture quality.

How did you use the 3x17" in your pit? All spread out over the 2 front windows?

Thumbs up

Hi Bas, Dave here in good old blighty.

Just wandered if you were still considering what to do about your outside views?

I use a projector for the front view, I have it at 3.4 meters away from a white screen, which gives a picture which is 2.3 meters wide.

For the side views I have used 'Wideview': http://www.wideview.it/ and 2 x 42" plasma screens.

The effect is great, although I am only using 1024 x 768 the vision is good enough to give you a strange feeling when the aircraft is banked, (your brain things your in a turn but the body says your still upright).

Have a look at my URL opening page to see the final result: www.G-HOLT.co.uk

Dave