Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Fantastic source

Thanks Bill, that's a fantastic source for motor control ideas. I really like the sidewinder controller on there. Very good specs. Too bad you can't use it directly via serial control like the KT5198a. If only the KT5198a was just a tad bit beefier, then it would be perfect. 25 - 35 amps at 24volts would be great.

Dutchboy

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Bill View Post
    Hi All,

A reasonable suggestion for this new Forum would be to do some preliminary research on what has previously been successfully achieved in other application domains that might have covered topic areas that might easly be replicated!!

If I may suggest the following site The Open Source Motor Controller (OSMC) as a good place to start as it has lots of useful information!

http://www.robotpower.com/osmc_info/

I have built and integrated their designs into many experimental servo feedback systems.

There are many others

Bill

75+ Posting Member

Hi All,

Yesterday I was asked to "dump" a leather chair that we had bought a year or so ago!
    It was one of those electric articulated chairs that one uses to fall asleep in front of the television at the end of a hard day!

I opened up the fabric underneath only to reveal a "superbly silent 12volt driven screw actuator". It has much potential for modification or direct application in moving platforms. I contacted the store where we bought it this morning and have just collected five various types of discarded actuators of varying speed and throw gratis!!

It might be worth investigating wherever you live on the globe if such actuators are available for experimentation. Good for supporting the global drive on recycling!!

Bill.

25+ Posting Member

chairs

That's a great idea Bill! I'll have to look into electric vehicle chairs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Bill View Post
    Hi All,

A reasonable suggestion for this new Forum would be to do some preliminary research on what has previously been successfully achieved in other application domains that might have covered topic areas that might easly be replicated!!

If I may suggest the following site The Open Source Motor Controller (OSMC) as a good place to start as it has lots of useful information!

http://www.robotpower.com/osmc_info/

I have built and integrated their designs into many experimental servo feedback systems.

There are many others

Bill
    Thanks a lot for this great link, Bill.
    It has so much info that I have been searching for a long time: Motor controllers and H-bridge drivers with all schematics and component specs listed! Fantastic. Seems I have missed out some new developments in this field as my H-bridge design now seems hopelessly outdated. Never too old to learn something new!
    RR

75+ Posting Member

Many thanks for all your comments!

Here is another site that I have purchased some items from and contains a lot of information that might be helpful also!!

http://www.4qd.co.uk/

Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchboy View Post
    Thanks Bill, that's a fantastic source for motor control ideas. I really like the sidewinder controller on there. Very good specs. Too bad you can't use it directly via serial control like the KT5198a. If only the KT5198a was just a tad bit beefier, then it would be perfect. 25 - 35 amps at 24volts would be great.

Dutchboy

Dutchboy,

Can it be made beefier? What would need to be done?

David

25+ Posting Member

Beefier 5198a

Well, the traces that lead from the mosfets to the motors need to be thicker, so soldering some copper on those would help. The main problem is that the mosfets are to close together to allow a really good heat sync/fan solution. I have managed to add a heat sync, but it's not that great because I had to use insulators between the mosfet and the heat sync. I would prefer to have a separate heat sysc for each mosfet.

Dutchboy

Quote Originally Posted by RobiD View Post
    Dutchboy,

Can it be made beefier? What would need to be done?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchboy View Post
    Well, the traces that lead from the mosfets to the motors need to be thicker, so soldering some copper on those would help. The main problem is that the mosfets are to close together to allow a really good heat sync/fan solution. I have managed to add a heat sync, but it's not that great because I had to use insulators between the mosfet and the heat sync. I would prefer to have a separate heat sysc for each mosfet.

Dutchboy

What about mounting a fan over the mosfets for example http://www.robotpower.com/products/ under OSMC.

Could extra wire be run from the mosfets instead the beefing up the traces?

25+ Posting Member

fan

That may work ok. Keep in mind that I believe they are doubling up the mosfets in that design, so that it can handle the load with less heat.

Dutchboy

Quote Originally Posted by RobiD View Post
    What about mounting a fan over the mosfets for example http://www.robotpower.com/products/ under OSMC.

Could extra wire be run from the mosfets instead the beefing up the traces?

150+ Forum Groupie

Thumbs up Just an Update

Hi Guys just thought i'd chip in and say not forgotten and am busy trying to come to grips with Visual C# ( Headaches or what LOL ) been tough going as i continually suffered mental block on the brain reading books and taking stuff in LOL;-0 .
    Seriously though been doing a lot of reading and trying to break down MOPLAT OPEN SOURCE Code into blocks that i can understand (nothing wrong with the program just brain fade on my part ) thanks to the stuff you guys have put on the FTP site and numerous Bargins from E-Bay i am finally turning the corner, Yesterday i had a Light bulb above the head moment and all of a sudden i can relate to how things work in the code and can at last look forward to trying to create a version for my platform based on the code you guys released ( sorry but am one of these guys that needed a jump start when it comes to Programming ) so thanks to the efforts of Jim, Kranky, Dutchboy , the others i am sort o getting there .. will keep ya'll posted

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast