Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Turning Logitech Force Feedback 3D into something more "yoke-ish."

I've got a Logitech Force Feedback 3d. I want to turn it into something more yoke-like, so you get to swing your arm around more instead of just your wrist. I'm not sure if the plastic base of the stick is strong enough to support more leverage and such though. What do you guys recommend I do? I'd rather not junk the whole plastic arrangement as I don't like throwing stuff away (just for the sake of material waste) and I don't have time to build something from scratch. I was thinking about just extending the handle by a foot or so, and then just mounting the stick on a box between my legs or so. Thoughts?

Cheers!

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

You could do that. However I am concerned with the comment you made about not having enough time to build something. Are you going somewhere? In this hobby, Time is something you need to find, as nothing will happen over night. Your best bet is to remove the joystick from its plastic housing. Build a Yoke or like control out of wood, and attach the potentiometers from inside the yoke to the wooden device. You can build a Helicopter style control stick if you would like, but for that I would suggest you remove the plastic grip from the joystick and affix your newly manufactured control stick to the post under the joystick grip.

Just take your time with things, otherwise you will be very disappointed.

Best regards,

Trev

Hey...It's not so much a genuine lack of time, as the fact that I wouldn't be able to play my favorite game for a period of time.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to maybe stabilize the whole base assembly?

And where can I buy 16 mm inside diameter copper pipe?

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

I would use copper plumbing pipe if you want to go that route. You can always add some material to the stick to attach the pipe and throw a couple screws through it to tighten it down.

You can buy a second USB Joystick on ebay for like 15.00 then modify that, so you can still play the game.

Just another thought, that way you don't take the chance of messing up your one and only joystick.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

OR, maybe just buy a CH yoke and try it out? It's not the best thing out there but it's the best value, plus, if you are a hardcore simmer that uses aircraft w/yokes instead of sticks, you will wonder why it took you so long to buy one. Not trying to quell your desire to build anything, as that is what it's all about here at MC.org, but my take on it is that you really want a yoke vs. a 'stick' so I'd just save up $100, and buy one. Then, you have the stick for when you get the urge to fly a helo, glider, or other stick-controlled a/c.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

The only sim I really fly is IL-2, and when it comes out, Storm of War, both WWII flight simulators. And I might mention that I'm 16 and too lazy to get a steady job (and anything I can get won't pay anything). I make my money by building and selling analog guitar effects pedals, but I haven't really been in the mood recently to build any. So I'm a wee bit limited in terms of money.

Right now, I'm thinking that I'll just make a little extension piece until I get more money and can some copper pipe and look at properly building one.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

I understand. Best of luck!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

So, I figured, what the heck, I'll build myself one from scratch using the Logitech electronics.

Here's the start of my joystick:

Close up of the mechanism:

The white roll of tape and the white bottle cap are standing in for gears that I don't have yet. I'm also using a pencil for the lower bolt.

These may or may not be the actual motors I'm gonna use. I'll have to test them first. I'll have to play around with the gear ratios too.

I have also ordered some Atmega8 microprocessors so I can make a button panel and some throttle stuff.
    Lemme know if you guys have any thoughts.

Cheers!

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Boeing

Buy an old CH yoke off ebay - realy cheap i picked the old CH yoke and CH pro pedals for a tenner! Modify the yoke because the unique thing about the old CH yoke is that the aileron movement is in the actual yoke front itself so the big rectangulat box on the back is for pitch. because i'm making a column for the yoke i removed the back part of the CH yoke and took away the springs etc that control pitch now i'm left with the yoke on the end of the pipe that would have gone into the rectangular box at the back with controls pitch. the aileron still works without the pitch. i took off the horrible front plate of the old ch yoke still keeping all the electronics and pot and will cut out a new boeing style yoke that will be glued to the front over the electronics there are two buttons that controlled A/P and push to talk theses will be fitted into the new boeing style yoke just by drilling two 7 mm holes. Also a bonus is there is a throttle control on top of the rectangular box that controlled thrust as i already have a throttle quadrant this is of no use so i have a movable handle that interects with flight sim and can be programmed with fsuipc of FS to do whatever you want and just splice a little bit of cabling to make it as long as you wish to reach anywhere in the cockpit. i think i will be using it as gear or speed brakes.

Excellent opportunity!

Good luck

GEZ

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Boeing

sorry forgot to mention pitch will be controlled by the column mounted on top of a joystick in a housing on the floor only program the joystick to detect pitch movement and restict the movement to forward and back using some shelf l hooks to keep the column in position also extra springs may need to be added to bring the extra weight back to the centre as the joystick may not be able to take the extra load. this can all be put into the box on the floor out of view.

Ps. My column is just using a painted drain pipe! fitted over the joystick

Total cost: £15 ($30) Pretty good for a primary flight control!

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast