Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boeing 777 Builder

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

John,

Ahh yes I have noticed that the audio component produced from the speaker is a little annoying. Nothing too disruptive, but when all you want is vibration, to have some speech come through as well, is a little unrealistic. They'll do for now though, and knowing I can pick up shakers for $40 each, it's not an unreasonable option in the future.

Thanks for the tip.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

I dont know if this will help any of you but I took two big 14" subwoofers from an old home sterio unit a friend was throwing away bolted them under each of my pilot seats and then spliced them and soldered appropriate connectors to fit CPU sound card connections. I put in a really nice Sound Blaster sound card SB32 in an old CPU I have with a junk vid card, no frills at all. Then I loaded PM sounds program, wideclient and internet network card. Then all I did was check off on the sound list with PM systems stuff lke Bump.wav, Roll etc only things that were feel related all other things like warning etc were clicked off. Now when i turn on FS it reads that computer and emits the appropriate sounds which are translated to only physical tranducor style feelings in the seats. This keeps me from having to make everything unrealistically loud or vibrating the crap out of the sim and it works like a charm.
    I used to have the butkickers but sold them because they just created way to much vibration and it was annoying.JMO

Tim
    A340
    Canada

The Bass Shaker is working well. I mounted the control panel on the left side console behind the ejection seat where I can reach it. Since, I tend to fy several different planes from most of you guys, I have to adjust the vol and HZ of each different airplane.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by warvet View Post
    I dont know if this will help any of you but I took two big 14" subwoofers from an old home sterio unit a friend was throwing away bolted them under each of my pilot seats and then spliced them and soldered appropriate connectors to fit CPU sound card connections. I put in a really nice Sound Blaster sound card SB32 in an old CPU I have with a junk vid card, no frills at all. Then I loaded PM sounds program, wideclient and internet network card. Then all I did was check off on the sound list with PM systems stuff lke Bump.wav, Roll etc only things that were feel related all other things like warning etc were clicked off. Now when i turn on FS it reads that computer and emits the appropriate sounds which are translated to only physical tranducor style feelings in the seats. This keeps me from having to make everything unrealistically loud or vibrating the crap out of the sim and it works like a charm.
    I used to have the butkickers but sold them because they just created way to much vibration and it was annoying.JMO

Tim
    A340
    Canada
    I have a similar set up as Tim's. I use two 12" Sub-Woofers with Bass Booster 200 watt Amps, mounted under the floor. Mount the speaker pointing to the floor, about 6 inches from the floor. Don't box them in, you don't want to hear it, just feel it It works fantastic in my cockpit, particularly rolling down the runway, gear-up and gear-down.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post
    I have a similar set up as Tim's. I use two 12" Sub-Woofers with Bass Booster 200 watt Amps, mounted under the floor. Mount the speaker pointing to the floor, about 6 inches from the floor. Don't box them in, you don't want to hear it, just feel it It works fantastic in my cockpit, particularly rolling down the runway, gear-up and gear-down.

Matt, thanks for pointing out not to box the speakers in...I would have not thought too much about the difference it would make...

Thanks!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

I never thought of using Subs for gear up and gear down etc. Sounds like an interesting thing to try out for the sim, but my sim is going upstairs and the flooring is timber, and my house is connected on both sides. Im sure the neighbors would be wondering if theres an earthquake or something when I call for "positive rate, Gear up / Gear down" or rolling.

I haven't really looked much into PM sounds but I am a user. From what I see here you all seem to always say its a top notch program. I might start learning the script language for it soon.

500+ This must be a daytime job Nick1150's Avatar

Re: anyone know where to get realistic bass shakers for pilot seat.

I know it is an old post, but it includes so much useful information about bass shakers that it's worth reminding...

I am researching for 2 shakers right now, and all info above helped me out.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    The Bass Shaker is working well. I mounted the control panel on the left side console behind the ejection seat where I can reach it. Since, I tend to fy several different planes from most of you guys, I have to adjust the vol and HZ of each different airplane.

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

hello chaps.........
    one of the members here, Richard Hutchinson, bought a couple of bass shakers relatively cheaply here in the UK. when i was talking to him, he was quite enthusiastic about them. think i'll mail him and point him at this thread so he can input his source.
    regards

ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

75+ Posting Member

[QUOTE=ian@737ng.co.uk;116495]hello chaps.........
    one of the members here, Richard Hutchinson, bought a couple of bass shakers relatively cheaply here in the UK. when i was talking to him, he was quite enthusiastic about them. think i'll mail him and point him at this thread so he can input his source.
    regards

Hi Folks

I bought two bass vibration units from CPC Farnell in the UK. They only produce vibration and nothing else. They have to be firmly bolted to the floor as they have no cone, just a metal plate. They are around £50 each and are only 4 ohms so I installed two in series to get 8ohms, and put one either side under the Capt and F/O seats. The effect is incredible as they can go down to 7Hz!! I can't find the invoice but if you ring them they will give you the part number. They are well worth the money, but the wife will moan about the ceiling vibrating and the plaster falling off ) They are metal cased and about 5" round.

Enjoy!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast