Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FSX MULTI MONITORS?

OK so I can't split the audio in FS9 (ATC to head phones and other sounds to speakers). I hear that this can be done using FSX, but I really need to know what the performance is like when using for example 6 monitors?? FS9 no problem. What about FSX?? Are there any TRUE users of FSX WITH multi monitors, or does this set up cause problems as I have heard??

MULTI MONITORS - yes or no?

SPLIT SOUND - yes or no?

I would change to FSX for the split audio providing multi monitors are stable enough.

Thanks.

TONY Plymouth UK

25+ Posting Member

Re: FSX MULTI MONITORS?

Hello Tony,

I am an FSX user, and have been for years, so long in fact I can barely remeber what FS9 looks like (other than porting the occassional fs9 aircraft to fsx). Anyway I have a 2 seater simpit with 9 monitors (video link at bottom) 8 of which are connected to one pc compliments of 2 matrox boxes. So yes you can use multiple monitors, although there are some logistical issues in getting them all to work right. And I do run FSX in fullscreen mode across the 8 screens.

For split sound, thats defiantly a yes, I have 2 sound cards, one does my environment sounds, the other is connected to my headsets for ATC. Right under sound options you can select a different device for voice comms, it could be a usb headset or a soundcard and is very easy to setup.

Can you tell me more about your hardware? # of screens, and PC specs?

Thanks
    Simaviator13

Quote Originally Posted by Simaviator13 View Post
    Hello Tony,

I am an FSX user, and have been for years, so long in fact I can barely remeber what FS9 looks like (other than porting the occassional fs9 aircraft to fsx). Anyway I have a 2 seater simpit with 9 monitors (video link at bottom) 8 of which are connected to one pc compliments of 2 matrox boxes. So yes you can use multiple monitors, although there are some logistical issues in getting them all to work right. And I do run FSX in fullscreen mode across the 8 screens.

For split sound, thats defiantly a yes, I have 2 sound cards, one does my environment sounds, the other is connected to my headsets for ATC. Right under sound options you can select a different device for voice comms, it could be a usb headset or a soundcard and is very easy to setup.

Can you tell me more about your hardware? # of screens, and PC specs?

Thanks
    Simaviator13
    Hi thanks for the info.

My PC is a dual core 3.2 g (Ithink)
    Ram 2g
    WIN XP
    One Asus GTx 550 Ti serving Matrox 3 to go to three outside view monitors.
    One Nvidia GF 6200 512mb DDR2 PCI serving one inst screen
    One 2mb matrox serving a video splitter to two inst screens
    One Nvidia Ge-Force 8400 serving left and right side window views

I have heard that FX10 is not multi monitor friendly and some friends have had problems with it. If you can elaborate a little on what has to be done to run them successfully, I would be very grateful. Also, I understand that flights cannot be saved in FX10 - seems a bit odd? any comments?
    Finally, is there a specific version that runs best for multi mon?

Many thanks.

TONY Plymouth UK

25+ Posting Member

Thanks for the details Tony,

Sounds like you currently have a really nice FS9 setup!

So a couple things on FSX multi monitors, I run win7 and when I had a 3rd video card connected FSX would just crash. I am unsure if thats a FSX issue, or win 7 issue to be honest. I ended up removing the 3rd video card and used a matrox dual head to get around that issue. Heres a good read for ya on this subject: Realtime Soft Forum

I am also concerned about your processor, FSX will run on that, however when using multi monitors in FSX it really becomes a CPU hog. I run a AMD 8320 (overclocked to 4.8Ghz on liquid cooling) and FSX still wants more power (granted I have a highly modified FSX install, with many addons).

I would recommend the deluxe version of FSX if you decide to purchase, as this includes service pack 2. Also I would highly recommend reading this article, following these steps will really enhance your FSX performance: SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT - SimForums.com Discussion

As far as saving flights, you can defiantly save flights in FSX. However its a little buggy with multi monitors. If you are trying to save a flight so all your panels and views populated in the right places you have do it in a weird way. Basically you need to switch to windowed mode, undock your windows, place them where you want them, then save the flight. Switch back to fullscreen mode and load the flight and you are all set. Once saved in this manner it should load properly going forward provided you are in fullscreen mode when loading the flight.

If I were you, I would go ahead and get FSX, and give it a try on your current setup and see if it likes your current monitor setup, and see how it performs on your PC. More than likely you will have to edit your fsx.cfg file to squeeze every ounce of performance you can get. Heres a tool that does the main tweaks automatically - SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT - SimForums.com Discussion

I think this is enough info for now, but If you do get FSX and have any questions or issues, feel free to PM me here, I'd be glad to help a fellow simmer.

Thanks,
    SimAviator13

5. Likes ybourini liked this post
    25+ Posting Member

Oops, gave you the wrong link, the auto tweaking tool is here: Bojote's Tweaking and Tuning tool for FSX

Sorry for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Simaviator13 View Post
    Thanks for the details Tony,

Sounds like you currently have a really nice FS9 setup!

So a couple things on FSX multi monitors, I run win7 and when I had a 3rd video card connected FSX would just crash. I am unsure if thats a FSX issue, or win 7 issue to be honest. I ended up removing the 3rd video card and used a matrox dual head to get around that issue. Heres a good read for ya on this subject: Realtime Soft Forum

I am also concerned about your processor, FSX will run on that, however when using multi monitors in FSX it really becomes a CPU hog. I run a AMD 8320 (overclocked to 4.8Ghz on liquid cooling) and FSX still wants more power (granted I have a highly modified FSX install, with many addons).

I would recommend the deluxe version of FSX if you decide to purchase, as this includes service pack 2. Also I would highly recommend reading this article, following these steps will really enhance your FSX performance: SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT - SimForums.com Discussion

As far as saving flights, you can defiantly save flights in FSX. However its a little buggy with multi monitors. If you are trying to save a flight so all your panels and views populated in the right places you have do it in a weird way. Basically you need to switch to windowed mode, undock your windows, place them where you want them, then save the flight. Switch back to fullscreen mode and load the flight and you are all set. Once saved in this manner it should load properly going forward provided you are in fullscreen mode when loading the flight.

If I were you, I would go ahead and get FSX, and give it a try on your current setup and see if it likes your current monitor setup, and see how it performs on your PC. More than likely you will have to edit your fsx.cfg file to squeeze every ounce of performance you can get. Heres a tool that does the main tweaks automatically - SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT - SimForums.com Discussion

I think this is enough info for now, but If you do get FSX and have any questions or issues, feel free to PM me here, I'd be glad to help a fellow simmer.

Thanks,
    SimAviator13
    SimAviator13:
    This is a year old thread now, but I am at this same point now this thread addressed then. I want to build a single PC and run a muli-monitor FXS sim. Most of what I've read implies it can't be done with playable (20+FPS), but you are saying you have? Not knowing if you'll see this, so I'll PM you also.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

10+ Posting Member

I run FSX with 5 monitors attached. 3 via Triple head 2 go, and the other 2 into the GPU. I have no issues running this setup on my i7 4770 pc@4.5ghz with GTX770. Though prior to this, I run the same setup on my previous pc. i5 2500k also @4.5ghz with GTX660ti. I use the 23 screens for fsx using Trackir 5 pro, and the other 2 crenns carry plan G v3 and teamspeak. I dont know the frame rate becaus eI dont want to get hung up trying to squeeze an extra frame or so and lose a whole weekend in the effort, if it flies OK then I'm happy.

10+ Posting Member

I run FSX with 5 monitors attached to my i7 4770k @4.5ghz with GTX770. I use matrox th2go for 3 and the other two carry Plan G and Teamspeak. All are 22" monitors. I used the same setup on my previous pc, i5 2500k @4.5ghz with GTX660ti. I dont have a clue what the frame rate is since I dont check it, I really dont want to get hung up wasting a weekend trying to get an extra couple of frames out of it all, if it flies nice then I'm a happy man!